shape
carat
color
clarity

Concerned about authenticity of Tiffany ring

jhiga808

Rough_Rock
Hello,
A couple years ago I purchased a Tiffany wedding band which had a pattern I had never seen before. When it arrived I immediately fell in love with it. As luck would have it in a freak accident, I lost the ring. (it slipped off my finger and was flushed away in an instant) Fast forward to this year I found the exact same pattern on Ebay and was able to win the bid.
The ring is the exact size and dimension as the one I lost. When the ring arrived my first impression was this feels too light. But more alarming was the feel of the ring. There is quite a sharp edge on the inside of the ring. Not the feel of a lovingly worn wedding band like the seller said. I plan on having the gold content tested. Would love any feed back on what you guys think. Real or fake?
thumbnail.jpg tiffany 2.jpg

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I'd take it to your local Tiffany and have them examine it.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the stamp looks really sloppy. I wouldn't think a genuine T&C stamp would look so careless

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That does not look like an authentic Tiffany ring to me..The printing is definitely sloppy but also the edges aren’t finished and look rough..The gold looks off color..Has Tiffany ever made a ring in 14k?

jhiga808

Rough_Rock
Yes the last one was 14k. Here's a picture of the one I lost. You can see the difference in the two. 36499841_10216694683983061_2242967329405140992_o.jpg

jhiga808

Rough_Rock
That does not look like an authentic Tiffany ring to me..The printing is definitely sloppy but also the edges aren’t finished and look rough..The gold looks off color..Has Tiffany ever made a ring in 14k?

Thats what I thought too, the edges do not feel finished. Theres a sort of burr in some places. Very disappointing. The outer design is correct though.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Maybe it was made via lost wax, as a copy?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thats what I thought too, the edges do not feel finished. Theres a sort of burr in some places. Very disappointing. The outer design is correct though.
If you look at your original..it’s not a straight stamp either....and it is wonky but it still has the feel of authencity...Old Tiffany pieces weren’t perfect like they are today. It’s still possible yours is authentic..but I would bring it to an appraiser who is familiar with old Tiffany stamps and authenticate it.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, ok. ignore me then!
I would never ignore you, HappyNewLife : )
and I know, it does not seem possible that these masters of perfection just slap a hallmark on.
My ring is in my safe deposit box, but I found some similarly wonky hallmarks on google to share...the last one is kind of like mine from the early 70’s...

9976758B-16D4-48C4-B6E5-19B298F6CC63.jpeg E26AC8F2-1BA0-403A-A6ED-EA18FFC6EA0A.jpeg D37A72AC-A963-4B76-8EBB-C7343E22513F.jpeg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What concerns me is the edges are rough and not rounded or polished. Doesn't look like a finished ring

jhiga808

Rough_Rock
What concerns me is the edges are rough and not rounded or polished. Doesn't look like a finished ring

Yes exactly! It doesn't scream quality like every other Tiffany ring I've owned .

jhiga808

Rough_Rock
Yesterday I took it to a Tiffany store here. They said they could not say yes or no if it was authentic. They did have concerns with the stamp. But it think it's just because she didn't deal with vintage pieces. The gold content test kit should come in the mail today .Stay tuned.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yesterday I took it to a Tiffany store here. They said they could not say yes or no if it was authentic. They did have concerns with the stamp. But it think it's just because she didn't deal with vintage pieces. The gold content test kit should come in the mail today .Stay tuned.
I’ll be watching and hoping for you!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found them to be less than helpful as well. I have a platinum ring with original sales receipt and it is stamped with a serial number. Tiffany rep said the serial number doesn’t mean anything. Hm...ok.

jhiga808

Rough_Rock
Well the gold test shows it is 14k so I can't return it. I guess I'll have to live with it. I told the seller I would take it to my jeweler and have him smooth out the inside edge. Maybe that will make it feel better on my finger. *sigh*

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results