shape
carat
color
clarity

Concave with tilt window

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, i'm at a loss, I just receive such a pretty gem a Citrine, its a beautiful color light orangy concave cut citrine, I love the color, but there is one maybe small problem - the tilt window uggg. if I angle ever so slightly about 30 degrees I can see the tilt window, but straight on, its a beautiful stone, I'll try to upload some pictures later on tonight. This was a very inexpensive gem, and one of the reason I bought it was because I love concave cuts, and the other reason, is to someday hand this down to on of my DD as it is their birthstone, and its much nicer color and quality than any I have seen in a preset mounting. Any thoughts? well I might just end up haloing it, its 6mm .

ETA: as some of you know, I have a concave cut peridot as well, but the tilt window is not obvious with my peridot, not sure why though?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 6:09:40 PM
Author:D&T
ok, i''m at a loss, I just receive such a pretty gem a Citrine, its a beautiful color light orangy concave cut citrine, I love the color, but there is one maybe small problem - the tilt window uggg. if I angle ever so slightly about 30 degrees I can see the tilt window, but straight on, its a beautiful stone, I''ll try to upload some pictures later on tonight. This was a very inexpensive gem, and one of the reason I bought it was because I love concave cuts, and the other reason, is to someday hand this down to on of my DD as it is their birthstone, and its much nicer color and quality than any I have seen in a preset mounting. Any thoughts? well I might just end up haloing it, its 6mm .

ETA: as some of you know, I have a concave cut peridot as well, but the tilt window is not obvious with my peridot, not sure why though?
Sorry you''re disappointed, D&T - tilt windows bug me too.

Peridot has a slightly higher RI than citrine which may account for some of it, but it''s most likely due to the cutting. Does the citrine have a large table? I''m interested in seeing your pics.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I put it side by side next to mali garnet an RB cut by Barry (approximately same dimensions 6mm), the table is slightly smaller on the Garnet. I''ll post pictures up later tonight once I get home and and after I put the kiddos to bed, but I''m probably going to keep it, because it was very very inexpensive and still a pretty stone color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as there is precision cutting and native cutting, there is concave cutting and there is concave cutting. I have a Richard Homer concave stone and a Chinese cut concave cut stone where the difference is like night and day. Hence, I suspect it is the quality of the cutting itself.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 7:34:53 PM
Author: Chrono
Just as there is precision cutting and native cutting, there is concave cutting and there is concave cutting. I have a Richard Homer concave stone and a Chinese cut concave cut stone where the difference is like night and day. Hence, I suspect it is the quality of the cutting itself.
I would agree with Chrono regarding the differences in concave cutting. At the recent RH roundtable I attended, Richard made the same point. Basically, that his concave cutting was of far better quality than your run-of-the-mill concave cutting.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh I agree with you both Fly Girl and Chrono, although i''m saving up my pennies for the Nice Richard Homer concave, I really wanted to start learning more with gems, and this is a very inexpensive buy so a good start. and I''m ok with passing this little learning gem onto my kids one day as well to learn
9.gif

so here it is without the window.

gemsdt1 004.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
with window...

gemsdt1 003.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
on hand see window

gemsdt1 001.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
comparative cutting.

concavecomparative11.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/16/2009 8:47:20 PM
Author: D&T
comparative cutting.
Wow, you can see the difference in the last picture.
23.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/16/2009 9:43:23 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 6/16/2009 8:47:20 PM
comparative cutting.
Wow, you can see the difference in the last picture.
23.gif
yep
40.gif

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
They look nice!

I''d imagine that it''s a problem with quartz in general - my citrine has a fairly large tilt window as well - although that probably isn''t helped by the fact that it''s so big.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/16/2009 10:30:05 PM
Author: Magenta
They look nice!

I''d imagine that it''s a problem with quartz in general - my citrine has a fairly large tilt window as well - although that probably isn''t helped by the fact that it''s so big.
thanks for the confirm, I really like the color, and it looks better further away than up close like the pictures, the first posted picture is what I normally see. Oh well,
Magenta- What are you going to do with yours?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They look nice!

That''s exactly it, Magenta. There''s a HUGE difference between the light-bending power of quartz (R.I. 1.54-1.55) and peridot (R.I. 1.650-1.703). Even well-proportioned concaved round cuts of the two will show a very obvious difference in tilt-window angle: it can''t be helped. Quartz gems leak light at relatively shallow angles no matter how well they''re cut.

Quartzes like citrine and amethyst should be appreciated for their wonderful range of colors. They can even provide considerable flash and brilliance if well cut but that''s not their strength.

Richard M.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 10:41:22 PM
thanks for the confirm, I really like the color, and it looks better further away than up close like the pictures, the first posted picture is what I normally see. Oh well,

Magenta- What are you going to do with yours?

The colour''s gorgeous! Looks very similar to this one, although I suspect that''s deliberate
1.gif

Planning to get mine done into a pendant one day, I think - not for a while, though. The spess will need to be set first, then I''ll look at what the $$s next should be spent on.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2009 1:44:48 AM
Author: Richard M.

They look nice!

That''s exactly it, Magenta. There''s a HUGE difference between the light-bending power of quartz (R.I. 1.54-1.55) and peridot (R.I. 1.650-1.703). Even well-proportioned concaved round cuts of the two will show a very obvious difference in tilt-window angle: it can''t be helped. Quartz gems leak light at relatively shallow angles no matter how well they''re cut.

Quartzes like citrine and amethyst should be appreciated for their wonderful range of colors. They can even provide considerable flash and brilliance if well cut but that''s not their strength.

Richard M.
Hi Richard- thanks for the info and everyones comment, i learn new things everyday.

by the way - i love my peridot
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Magenta- I must be on a copying streak with you, because I just had Gary at Finewater, cut me a portuguese round lol...but not a spess... that ones gonna take a little more of my piggy bank funds.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I think the color is lovely and I am sure one of your DD''s will love it someday :)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2009 8:13:50 AM
Author: stepcutnut
I think the color is lovely and I am sure one of your DD''s will love it someday :)
aawww you''re sweet thanks.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 8:09:02 AM
Magenta- I must be on a copying streak with you, because I just had Gary at Finewater, cut me a portuguese round lol...but not a spess... that ones gonna take a little more of my piggy bank funds.

Haha! I did notice that! By all means, copy away! Do you happen to like Miss Dayna''s settings too? The piggy bank really needs to automatically refill!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2009 10:20:41 AM

Date: 6/17/2009 8:09:02 AM

Haha! I did notice that! By all means, copy away! Do you happen to like Miss Dayna''s settings too? The piggy bank really needs to automatically refill!
hmm, not sure which ones
31.gif
I want to set my Mali garnet (pictures coming up in another thread) first as that is a fireball and I have one in mind, very simple solitaire i think from Jewelryhoo,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results