shape
carat
color
clarity

Concave vs Portuguese Cut

What cut would best suit a 6-7mm to maximize brilliance and color saturation?

• Portuguese

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Concave

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other... to be explained below

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya!

Very precise question and looking for precise answers. For the record, this would be for a medium blue saturated stone, most likely sapphire. :))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn't precise because I'm not sure you can be precise as it depends very much on the colour and clarity of the material to begin with. The cuts will look very different so my first question would be which cut do you prefer? A stone can have fantastic brilliance and saturation but if the cut doesn't appeal, it can put you off it. For example, I don't like concave cuts so would prefer another cut rather than that. However I have seen one or two that have tempted me!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with LD - that in general, I don't care for concave cuts either, but I have seen some concave cuts that seemed to concentrate color and really show off the stone. Still, it wouldn't be enough for me to want to own a concave cut gem. :wink2:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
That's a very good point LD. I've never seen either in person, so I can't go from that. Portuguese seem to be more lively, while concave have a more subtler fascination.

Now to find someone who Portuguese cuts sapphires! :appl:

kt

Shiny_Rock
I've seen some on gemfix that seem awfully pretty!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My experience is that Portuguese cuts can have a lot of extinction. A concave cut will intensify the color, but doesn't provide to rocking flash that flat facets do. I think it boils down to your preference.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
To add to what Gene stated, usually ports are not cut below 7mm because their effects look better on stones above 7mm. That might be one thing to consider as well.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much Gene and Jim. Your expert advice is truly appreciated!

Do you think this stone will appear grey in real life?

sapphire_montana_217.jpg

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wakingdreams53|1312226153|2981734 said:
Thank you very much Gene and Jim. Your expert advice is truly appreciated!

Do you think this stone will appear grey in real life?

Yes. It's very grey in the photo and look at the background colour. In order to really assess a gemstone's colour you need a pale grey or cream coloured background. A colour close to the gemstone's colour will artifically make the gem look more the colour of the background.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
kas baby, i've been eyeing that sapphire too, the cut is tdf!!!

LD, I think you're right. Hm... Onto more searching.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I love the Portuguese cuts :mrgreen: ! Big, small, it doesn't matter to me. The sparkle and life a well done Portuguese cut brings to a stone is pretty hard to beat in my book. It's also a great weight saver. The one here's a 6mm I did for a client and it would go solid meltdown when the sun hit it. Yes there are a lot of badly cut ones out there. It's pretty hard to get all the meets to come together and a lot of them show windows or fisheyes if the right angles aren't used but if done right I think a Portuguese beats just about every other round out there IMHO :mrgreen:

Pete

cs1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither. For me, portugeuese cuts seem better suited for large and lighter coloured stones due to having more facets. Concave cutting can intensify colour but the overall concave faceting is also quite different. More importantly, have YOU personally seen both types of cuts in person? Perhaps this will seal the deal for you because to me, it also becomes a personal choice. I've seen a variety of wonderfully faceted concave cut stone (by the famous Richard Homer) but they don't appeal to me as much as a traditional flat faceting.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Ruffysdad, that's BEYOND gorgeous!! Do you have a website?

Chrono, no, I haven't seen either in person, which does make this a bit more difficult of a choice. But the setting I love is warmer/flowery, to which I feel a Portuguese cut may suit it better than a "'cold" concave. It's just the feeling I get from them. Concave = cold, Portuguese/other flowery cuts= warm.
Although I find the liquid flower cuts to be cold. It's a weird sensation, but that's my best mode of judgement without having seen them in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results