shape
carat
color
clarity

Completely lost looking for eng. ring with twisted band

kizzymoons16

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for an engagement ring for a few weeks now. I have red more than I ever thought I could about diamonds and settings and online stores and certifications. I started by identifying the setting and this is what I like https://eshop.gabrielny.com/product/ER7543W44JJ (or for a smaller center https://eshop.gabrielny.com/product/ER9370W44JJ). Unfortunately no online jeweler carries it. I saw them both side by side at a couple of mom and pap stores, they will sell them for a couple hundred bucks below msrp which is great.

The problem is that they will simply rob me blind on the center diamond.Here's what I'm looking for:
- either a .8ct for the smaller setting or a .9 for the larger one
- eye clean SI1 - inclusions not in the middle and and not visible without a loop
- F/G - I simply don't want to see yellow, but in a halo you don't really need complete colorlessness
- XXX, faint or no fluorescence
- paying attention to dimensions to use the HCA tool

I've been shown "beautiful diamonds" that were either
- F/VS2 but EGL Europe and looked like than a GIA H/SI2
- GiA G/SI2s were I could see the feather inclusions from 2 feet away in the middle of the table
- all sorts of other diamonds with many inclusions that simply did not justify the price

I then turned to online vendors. The only setting that I found that is close to the Gabriel from a reputable online vendor (excluding verragio from WF which are 3500-4000 - too rich for my blood although beautiful) is http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/twist-halo-diamond-14k-white-gold-engagement-ring_42402?elem=img&track=product from Blue Nile. I like it a lot, just not quite as much, but I'm sure she would love it as well. It has to be a twisted band with a small halo. I've looked at WF, BN, GOG, JA, just couldn't find something similar.

My budget is about 5000 but could go up to 6000. So here are some questions:
1. Should I bite the bullet, get r@ped at a brick and mortar store and at least have an opportunity to inspect the diamond and setting? A $4000 diamond on BN is roughly an extra $1300 more at a store.
2. What should I be looking at when making a diamond purchase from BN? I wish I could see where the inclusions are. The GIA certification only states the type of inclusion but not the location. Would I have to bump it up to an F/VG2 to be safe? In this case the price jumps up.
3. The BN setting linked above can take a diamond from 0.4 ct to 1.53. I figure that if it's too small you see the gap, if it's too big it covers the halo. How can I figure out the right size?
4. What is the quality of BN settings? I've read some both positive and negative reviews.
5.If I make a purchase from BN and I don't like it, can I send it back no questions asked? (she is a size 6.25) How long would a refund take?

The bottom line is that after doing soooo much research, I feel completely lost. I know that this is a rare purchase, maybe once in a lifetime, but I don't want to waste money that I work very hard for, just like you guys.

Thank you so much for any help and advice that you could provide.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOG stocks Gabriel and Co settings they can order in whichever one you want..... Why doesn't that work for you? Here is an example of one on their website;

http://www.goodoldgold.com/engagementrings.html

The setting you like on GOG's site is $1665.00 and this stone wire transfer is $4103.00;

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-79ct-e-si1-superior-round-hearts-and-arrows-diamond.html

Total $5768. Ask if it is eyeclean. Ask them if they can give a discount on both setting and stone and show them a link to any Blue Nile stones you are looking at as ask if they can call in the same or a similar stone for a similar price.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, good old gold as well as idjewelry sell that brand. Both can find you gia xxx or AGS 000 stones. Idjewelry usually has better prices than good old gold, but good old gold will provide videos and other info.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1427240412|3852014 said:
Yes, good old gold as well as idjewelry sell that brand. Both can find you gia xxx or AGS 000 stones. Idjewelry usually has better prices than good old gold, but good old gold will provide videos and other info.

I didn't realise IDJ had these settings - they are generally cheaper than GOG and I know for sure they can call in anything Blue Nile has for you. Contact both tell them what you want and see what they can do for you. The stone I linked above is an E if they can find you something that is a G or a H that should get it within your budget.

kizzymoons16

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice. Prior to your posts I figured that their diamonds are priced equally to what I could get in a "store near me" and much higher in price to places like JA or BN. So if I'm going to pay the same price, at least in a store I can look at it pre-purchase or if something goes wrong, I don't have to mail in the ring. ...it seems like I'm wrong for thinking this way.

So should my take away be to stay away from BN or their settings?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tech13579|1427240714|3852016 said:
Thank you for the advice. Prior to your posts I figured that their diamonds are priced equally to what I could get in a "store near me" and much higher in price to places like JA or BN. So if I'm going to pay the same price, at least in a store I can look at it pre-purchase or if something goes wrong, I don't have to mail in the ring. ...it seems like I'm wrong for thinking this way.

So should my take away be to stay away from BN or their settings?

No I dont think you need to avoid bluenile. Which do you prefer, the gabriel one or the BN one?
Idjewelry is very competitively priced, and also is a little cheaper than list price for Gabriel and co settings.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the BN settings are O.K but the Gabriel and Co ones are honestly nicer and IDJ will pretty much attempt to match or better whatever you find at BN if you tell them you are a P/S member and ask them what they can find for you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It gets a HCA of 1.7, you could in theory look for a F or a G with a lower HCA & a better spread;

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Having said that there is nothing wrong with this stone, it is getting dinged and some people might prefer a stone that is not quite as deep with a bigger spread so it faces up a bit larger looking on the hand. (I don't mind deeper stones personally it can give them lots of fire). And on the flip side of losing a bit in mms you are picking up the bonus of an ice white stone which optically generally will appear "brighter" than say a H or an I would to most people. So I guess it is a matter of balancing what you want.

The main questions I would be asking them if the stone is 100% eyeclean because it is an SI1 and if the Medium Blue Fluorescence has any negative impacts at all on the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results