shape
carat
color
clarity

Complete Diamond Newbie In Need Of Some Fast Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

helpryan

Rough_Rock
So here''s the deal. I have been looking to get my girlfriend a princess cut pendant for Christmas and I am coming down to "buy time". I have been looking at local jewelers and have found a few necklaces that I would consider nice looking that are in my price range. Remember this diamond would be for a necklace and not a ring. Would this be an acceptable first diamond? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I will be making my purchase by this friday :)

Carat weight: 0.35
Cut: Very Good
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Measurements: 3.93 x 3.89 x 2.75 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.01
Depth %: 70.7%
Table %: 76%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Ohh and the price is right around $300. Just under actually. Does come with GIA grading report.
From what I have read, the table % might be on the high to very high side? Or will it not be as important on a necklace? I have been worried about some of the local jewelers not having anything about the cut on the ones I have been looking at. Also, it appears that for my price range, they all are in the I1-3 clarity with anything from I-M in color.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What shape is this diamond?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Ryan,

Well, you''re right, the table is a bit on the large side. Without seeing it, that''s about all one can say.

May I ask, has she specifically voiced wanting a Princess pendant? The reason I ask, is that if not, I would consider a round. They are better in smaller sizes, if well cut. The sparkle factor would be greater.
5.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too wondered if she really wanted a princess cut. Rounds will sparkle a lot more in small sizes and are easier to buy but if it''s a princess cut that she wants then I suppose that''s what we''ll help you look for.

helpryan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the speedy replies! She has not specifically asked for the princess so I would be more than willing to consider a round. I also noticed from the ones I looked at locally that they appeared to sparkle more. I wasn''t sure if this was just because they were all of "lower" quality or what. The reason I was leaning more towards the princess was because of the price and size (I know, I know...). I was using the Blue Nile "build your own" function when I came across this princess and that was really hitting the end of my Christmas budget once it was in the necklace. The closest round was about $50 more and about 0.25ct. From what I have read on here, I''m sure that round would probably look bigger than the princess and sparkle more. But that additional $50 is really hard to get past because I''m already past what I was originally going to spend (Still a student). So send me any direction you please, just try to keep it within $500 IN the necklace :) Thanks again for all of your time!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The princess cut SOUNDS larger because you are looking at the carat weight, but PC are really cut deeper so they actually measure smaller than rounds. With rounds, you can also go with much lower colour and clarity. I like Lorelei''s suggestion and with WF, you can safely get the preset pendants for a good price with the peace of mind knowing that the diamonds are well cut.

helpryan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link to the preset. I''m just not sure a full bezel is what I''m looking for. The ones I have seen locally almost seem like they are "hiding" the diamond if you will. The half is about $50 more than the full...why is this? I will probably take a look at them again tomorrow in person to see if I''m just being overly picky. I did like the martini but again it''s getting a bit over what I really can afford at this time. And from the way you are talking Chrono, I should stay away from BN? Are their cut discriptions just to vague or what? Thanks again for taking the time answer my questions. I appreciate it, and I''m sure she will too when I FINALLY purchase it.
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile is fine for round stones, it''s the princess stones that not enough information is given. Blue Nile also sells all types of stones ranging from well cut to duds and it is up to the buyer to sort that out.

Whiteflash sells their branded A Cut Above which are called "superideal" here and Expert Selection which is very well cut stones that just falls short of the ACA branding but laypeople have a hard time telling them apart. They are a good value for the budget conscious.

For smaller stones, and especially pendants, going bezel will make the stone look a lot bigger than in a basket setting. Just something else to consider. Also, in a well cut stone, the bezel does not affect how well it sparkles. I too bezeled my pendant (0.43ct) and it looks like it is a 0.75ct stone because the metal rim gives it the illusion of looking larger.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 4:41:05 PM
Author: Chrono
Blue Nile is fine for round stones, it's the princess stones that not enough information is given. Blue Nile also sells all types of stones ranging from well cut to duds and it is up to the buyer to sort that out.

Whiteflash sells their branded A Cut Above which are called 'superideal' here and Expert Selection which is very well cut stones that just falls short of the ACA branding but laypeople have a hard time telling them apart. They are a good value for the budget conscious.

For smaller stones, and especially pendants, going bezel will make the stone look a lot bigger than in a basket setting. Just something else to consider. Also, in a well cut stone, the bezel does not affect how well it sparkles. I too bezeled my pendant (0.43ct) and it looks like it is a 0.75ct stone because the metal rim gives it the illusion of looking larger.
Definitely. If I can find a good pic to illustrate this, I'll post it for you.

ETA Found one.

This is a .30 bezeled vs. a plain .60. Not much difference visually.

I couldn't get these seperated for some reason. Ignore top pic.

Murano%20and%20comparison%20pic%2001.jpg

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Would you consider a diamond cluster pendant? I like the Flower Cluster Pendant from WhiteFlash, and they have a few other nice styles too. It would help you get a little more bling for your buck.
1.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, that bezel comparision is excellent! I want a bezel! It really makes a smaller stone to carry its own...next to a big guy, huh? Thanks for the post. §

helpryan

Rough_Rock
All of you are simply amazing! I honestly don''t think I have ever been on a forum where people were so friendly and willing to help before. I will check out the bezel again tomorrow because I think I''m just being a bit too picky for the amount of money I''m working with here lol. The picture you have shown with the bezel looks VERY close to the same size as the larger stone. I do prefer seeing the edges of the diamond of the larger stone in that picture lol. Thanks a ton for the picture, it really does put it in perspective. And thanks again Chrono for the info on the PC stones from Blue Nile. I am still a bit confused on how I tell how their "Very good" cuts match up with another company such as Whiteflash. Are there any particular questions I could ask a representative if I were to call and ask about their PC stones? I am REALLY looking for a round now, don''t get me wrong. I just want to keep my options open for another...day..or two? Ohh and thanks for the link to the flower cluster also. I do like the way some clusters look, and I have also looked at some journeys. Like I said, still open to new ideas. I''m just not sure about the clusters yet. Do you think a .25ct total weight 7 diamond cluster is as "nice" or even as "expensive looking" as a .25ct single round? I want honest opinions on this. Females..which would you prefer? Thanks again everyone!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2007 10:11:38 PM
Author: helpryan
Do you think a .25ct total weight 7 diamond cluster is as ''nice'' or even as ''expensive looking'' as a .25ct single round? I want honest opinions on this. Females..which would you prefer? Thanks again everyone!
For me personally, I would prefer the solitaire .25 (in a bezel
2.gif
)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

The flower cluster pendant is more "fun," whereas the solitaire pendant is on the classic side. Either one would be a wonderful present, but I think a solitaire would be a great choice as a first diamond necklace.

I just wanted to mention that you may want to talk to WF about making the chain longer than the 16" (maybe with an extra 1/2"). Some people have mentioned that they needed the chain longer to have their pendants lay flat, but I had mine set on a standard chain and even with a petite build, my necklace tends to slide up so the pendant is up in my sternum. It''s really annoying! lol

Good luck with your purchase!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With Princess cut stones, there are a few things that Blue Nile does not do which will tell you if they are well cut:
1. No actual magnified picture of the diamond
2. No ASET for light performance of the diamond
3. No idealscope for light leakage of the diamond
4. No Sarin scan to check the measurements (and other stats not listed on the cert)

#1 and #2 are the most important. #3 and #4 can be skipped if the first 2 checks out. Whiteflash isn''t the only company that can provide this. www.goodoldgold.com, www.jamesallen.com, www.winkjones.com are also vendors who have the capability to give you the details.

To me, I may trust a vendor but I want verification and proof that their "Very Good" or "Ideal" cut stones are as stated which unfortunately, Blue Nile can''t.

It''s great that you are looking at rounds. They are classic, very sparkly and are great for pendants. Given the choice, I''d pick a smaller solitaire diamond than a cluster. This goes for rings, pendants and earrings. There''s something about a single stone that has a very clean and elegant look.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 10:11:38 PM
Author: helpryan
All of you are simply amazing! I honestly don''t think I have ever been on a forum where people were so friendly and willing to help before. I will check out the bezel again tomorrow because I think I''m just being a bit too picky for the amount of money I''m working with here lol. The picture you have shown with the bezel looks VERY close to the same size as the larger stone. I do prefer seeing the edges of the diamond of the larger stone in that picture lol. Thanks a ton for the picture, it really does put it in perspective. And thanks again Chrono for the info on the PC stones from Blue Nile. I am still a bit confused on how I tell how their ''Very good'' cuts match up with another company such as Whiteflash. Are there any particular questions I could ask a representative if I were to call and ask about their PC stones? I am REALLY looking for a round now, don''t get me wrong. I just want to keep my options open for another...day..or two? Ohh and thanks for the link to the flower cluster also. I do like the way some clusters look, and I have also looked at some journeys. Like I said, still open to new ideas. I''m just not sure about the clusters yet. Do you think a .25ct total weight 7 diamond cluster is as ''nice'' or even as ''expensive looking'' as a .25ct single round? I want honest opinions on this. Females..which would you prefer? Thanks again everyone!
Maybe.
5.gif

I think, to get the most bang for your buck, bezel is the way to go. As the picture illustrates, it really increases the perception of size. And as most on here will tell you, size counts.
9.gif

Seriously, I would recommend the pendant Miss Lorelei linked you to. I have purchased from WF, and can assure you, the diamond will be gorgeous, and the price is right. I think you would be quite pleased.
2.gif

DK, amazing, isn''t it??

helpryan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the help everyone! The pendant just arrived via FedEx and was very pleased with the results! I ended up going with a round in a bezel setting :) I ended doing the BN "build your own" again because I found a round that appeared to be what I was looking for. I didn''t however stay under $500 ;-) I blame all of you! The extra money was worth though. Both of us ended up revealing to the other what they were getting for Christmas a bit early, and she has been excited about it since day one. We went out to some jewelry stores the day after I ordered it so she could see what a bezel setting was. She actually preferred the bezel to the basket/prong! (Thanks again for talking me into the bezel) Once she gets here tomorrow with her camera I''ll take some pictures and post them when I get a chance. Ohh and one last quick question. I did get this "fine jewelry appraisal" along with it, listing an estimated retail value considerably higher than my cost. This may seem like a dumb question..but is this what I could expect to pay from a local retailer, or just a general appraisal of market value in terms of the diamond and gold making up the pendant? Thanks again to everyone and their wealth of knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results