shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparison Stones

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am saving to buy a pigeon blood red ruby and a cornflower blue sapphire in the future. I would like to get a pigeon blood red ruby melee and cornflower blue sapphire melee for comparison. Where can I get such comparison stones?

Is Hauyne blue is equivalent to cornflower blue?

Thank you.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I am saving to buy a pigeon blood red ruby and a cornflower blue sapphire in the future. I would like to get a pigeon blood red ruby melee and cornflower blue sapphire melee for comparison. Where can I get such comparison stones?

Is Hauyne blue is equivalent to cornflower blue?

Thank you.

Not sure where to send you for melee, but I have hauyne melee and it is definitely not cornflower blue. It's practically electric next to my cornflower sapphire (s).

Would melee not always look much brighter than a real gem?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Melee are real gems. Normally it's harder to get vivid and saturated colours in melee because they are much smaller and usually less saturated.

However beautifull melee are about, try Yvonne on etsy.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I believe that the larger the stone the more beautiful the stone with other qualities the same. Because there is more time for light to do magic inside the stone.

I have seen a 50ct diamond and it is more interesting than a smaller stone.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Melee are real gems. Normally it's harder to get vivid and saturated colours in melee because they are much smaller and usually less saturated.

However beautifull melee are about, try Yvonne on etsy.

She has some beautiful melees but doesn't specify the special colour I want. If the lab sells those comparison stones I would buy it

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would use GIA tone and saturation terminology to describe optimal color instead of metaphors. AGL is also scientific about color as well. The problem is that metaphors are often subjective and abused by the trade to describe the quality of what they're selling. I dislike that Gueblin uses them as well.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think one of the misconceptions by many is that hauyne only comes in electric blue (same goes for Luc Yen cobalt spinels). I guess most of what is posted on the net are top colors - which is the electric blue.

Both hauyne and cobalt spinels are natural stones so colors can vary.

Here's a sample that I found in the net on how hauyne can occur in underwhelming colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Color-Line-...Eifel-Germany-up-to-5mm-0-84-ct-/221394687089

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would use GIA tone and saturation terminology to describe optimal color instead of metaphors. AGL is also scientific about color as well. The problem is that metaphors are often subjective and abused by the trade to describe the quality of what they're selling. I dislike that Gueblin uses them as well.

Agreed...and while they help, even pictures can be misleading (which I also assume why the OP was hoping to use melee). Unfortunately, you often need to see a lot of stones IRL to figure out what really speaks to you. Do you have any decent local gem shows you can use to get an idea of what you might be looking for?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a synthetic stone for comparison since those are usually perfect.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Try the GemEsquare app for your smart phone. With it, you can configure the color you desire and send an image who ever you want.

S

SparkliesLuver

There are a lot of colored stone wholesalers that offer melee. One big one I know off the top of my head is: https://www.nafcogems.com/melee/. I'd contact a colored stone vendor and see if they could help you.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone.

My understanding of the metaphors is from the photo of the Lotus Gemmology
Lotus-Guide-Postcard.jpg

I cannot tell the difference between the peacock blue and the velvet blue. I have never seen any Padparadschas with the colour in this photo.

Are there any cornflower blue sapphire photos or pigeon's blood photos from PSers?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, metaphor terms are subjective to any vendor/trade member. What is pigeon blood to Lotus Gemology is not pigeon blood to someone else.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have the same lotus reference saved in my phone :)
I'd say it's pretty different from what is held to standard in Burma. For example, the fuchsia on Lotus is what passes off as hot pink locally. The royal blue locally is a much darker blue than on the Lotus chart. Royal red on Lotus would be the pigeon blood standard locally.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One of my jewelers have loose stones with Lotus reports. Here's are actual photos of Royal Blue and Pigeon's Blood as indicated in their Loturs reports.

image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results