shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparison between settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moneypenny02

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
So I am still on the prowl for the perfect ring/diamond combination. I have found the same settings on Whiteflash and Good Old Gold, but have noticed that the same setting is about 25% ($500) more expensive from Good Old Gold. Does anyone know of a justification for this difference? Is this a mark-up that you would pay for? I think both companies set your diamonds and ship for free, so I can''t justify the difference in price. What''s the deal here!?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The settings are IDENTICAL? As in same brand etc? If you mean that you wanted the Vatche Royal X-prong in 18K and the exact same ring was 500 dollars more, I'd ask for a price match. If they are just very similar, I would call GOG and tell them look... your setting is 500 more than this one... can you come down off the price?

You can always have your stone shipped to WF and purchase the setting there, many have. But factor in the price of shipping and insurance if you go that route.
2.gif
Plus WF will assess a setting charge (I believe) if the stone is not theres.

Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples. And it never hurts to ask a vendor to lower a setting cost, the worst they can do is say no, and explain to you why.

Here's an example... WF's X-prong is around 1000, I found one on... Ardimor or somewhere for 250, and another on Excel for 600. They aren't the EXACT same ring... but they are all X-prongs and very similar. I suspect that the 250 is lighter than the 1000 one, but I don't know. I also don't know what the finish and casting of the 250 one is... but do know that GOG sells Vatche's X-prong that I've seen and liked. So I may be willing to pay more to get the Vatche X-prong or the WF one. OR I might ask WF to get in an Adwar or Unique Settings of NY cast one, and have them finish it for me... for less than 'their' X-prong would cost. It's not a scam... it's just the way it is.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto Gypsy! also, is the GOG setting a designer setting? that could also explain the price difference.

moneypenny02

Rough_Rock
So, that might have been my mistake. It''s possible that the x-prong from Whiteflash is NOT dvatche after all--I must have just gotten that in my head from different people talking about dvatche as the best approximation of the Lucida style AND that whiteflash X-prong was a good substitute as well. That might explain the difference between the prices.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WF doesn''t carry dVatche. They carry their own line of settings.
2.gif

If what you are looking for is an X-prong, I personally love the Vatche petite X-prong, it''s daintier than the standard X prong and I believe it costs less as well. Plus it does a lovely job of giving the center stone center stage. I don''t know if it''s listed on GOG''s site, but certainly they can get a price and picture for you if you call them up. Marie is the person I''ve always dealt with regarding settings and she''s great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results