shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing white gold tiffany style settings

EA22201

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a white gold Tiffany style setting, the closest to the true Tiffany's setting as possible without sacrificing quality. I have seen a lot online and have noticed that the prices vary from $300-$1300. Most jewelers sell a 'Tiffany knock off', but I was hoping for advice on what ones are the quality ones. I've noticed most have prominent and tacky prongs. Also, I was told that if you want to get the closest to a true Tiffany setting, you want a slightly knifed 6-prong setting that at its widest point is about 2.5 and at its narrowest point is between 2.1-2.15. Is that correct? I've read that Excel Diamonds and Whiteflash are the closest to and most popular, but I didn't like the look of either of their settings.

I'm located in the DC area, so if anyone knows of a reputable dealer with a setting similar to what I'm looking for, please let me know.

Also, if I have to have it custom made, what should I ask for?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1311384445|2974979 said:
Not sure about options in the DC area, but in terms of online vendors, I think Excel's is supposed to be pretty good. Here is a blog I found that compares various online vendors' Tiff style rings: https://www.pricescope.com/blog/tiffany-inspired-tiffany-setting-comparison

Yeah, Excel's design is very close. I've seen it and it's almost exact. Excel doesn't have the best bench, what what I've seen, when it comes to finishing though. So either you will have to tell them to go beyond what they normally do for polishing or be aware that once you get it, you might want to take it somewhere locally to get it re-polished and tell them to go above and beyond.

I know WF has a very close setting as well. So does BGD. I would call these vendors and ask them which of their settings is closest to the original. Get a qoute and then make your decision from there.

If you don't care for the WF and Excel settings, frankly maybe the issue is that you don't really like the design of the Tiffany solitaire. I've seen a sales person at Tiffany's mistake the Excel one for one of theirs and offer to clean it. It's THAT close.

If you don't want a replica of the Tiffany but just want a lovely platinum setting, depending on the size of your center stone, there are two Mark Morrell previously owned settings available for sale. One is at JBEG and the other is on Ebay. Worth a look if you are looking for a top caliber setting, in platinum at a great price.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably try Brian Gavin for the Tiffany replica setting. I honestly think of changing to this setting occasionally!

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5336

You do know that the real Tiffany settings are platinum and not white gold, right? I'd recommend going with the platinum since Brian Gavin uses the platinum/ruthenium alloy for their settings.

EA22201

Rough_Rock
Diamond. I love your ring. What is yours? That would be perfect! I'm actually looking at a Vatche setting right now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EA22201|1311477212|2975601 said:
Diamond. I love your ring. What is yours? That would be perfect! I'm actually looking at a Vatche setting right now.

Thanks! Mine is the classic solitaire by Leon Mege. My daughter has the Vatche Caroline and I honestly prefer it's proportions over mine. Both are 4 prong basket settings similar to the classic Cartier solitaire.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/caroline-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-288.htm

I seriously think about changing to the Brian Gavin Tiffany knife-edge, though. Those were my two top choices and I still wish I could have both!!!

EA22201

Rough_Rock
Vatche U-113 purchased!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
EA22201|1311626662|2976542 said:
Vatche U-113 purchased!

great - post pics when you get it all done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results