shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing G and H colour

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

puravida

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have refs or photos to help me compare the difference between a G and an H stone?

I know colour is a highly personal preferance and higly dependant on cut but I can''t seem to find photos of similarily cut/clear stones that are G and H so that I can compare. I''m trying to save money where I can if the G and H look alike.

Are the photos on the the WF website, the ACTUAL photos of the stones? If that''s the case I really can''t tell the difference between a G and H that are ACA H&A. But I don''t want to rely on website pics alone.

Right now I''m looking for a 1 carat-ish RB stone, preferably ACA H&A.

Anyone care to post pics of their G or H RB stone?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don''t have any pictures, but I thought I would suggest the color tutorial at goodoldgold.com. As far as online materials go, I think this is the most well-represented photos I''ve found. However, color is really something that needs to be seen in person.

Personally though, there won''t be much of a discernable difference in color between a G and an H and both will face up just fine and white in a well-cut stone.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are the actual photos unless it says "photo unavailable". And I can''t tell the difference as long as both stones are the same cut, size, and shape.

Do you have a Jared''s near you? They are VERY overpriced but they carry AGS0 stones, which are decent comparisons to WF''s ACAs as far as color/cut goes.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
I love to look at diamond pics as much as the next PSer but they won't help you learn how different G and H look.

Pictures are notorious for distorting color. It could be the light source (or sources) not matching the camera's white balance setting, or the color of the photographer's shirt, or the yellow walls or the blue sky. A million things can alter the color you see on your monitor, including the monitor itself.

To compare in a pic, or in person, both diamonds should be upside down, under the same white light, with a white background, and both stones be of a of similar size and cut.

Better yet, go to a jeweler who can show you G and H stones unmounted. Make sure the "G" and "H" are both from GIA or AGS, since the standards of other labs vary.

Also cut can influence color, a round sends the light back out the top without bouncing around inside the diamond as much as some other cuts.
This means the light coming back out of the crown of a 1 carat G round will have traveled through less yellowing diamond material than the light coming out of a 1 carat G radiant.

Next G and H are so close you will be hard pressed to even see the difference under controlled conditions.
But again I love to see pics.

puravida

Shiny_Rock
Wow thanks for the quick replies
1.gif

Just ran through the coloru tutorial....I can tell the difference between both G and H when they are compared to a D stone from the side. Face up I can''t really tell the diffrence. Wish they would have done that sort of photo with the G and H side by side!

neatfreak: nope, no jareds. i live just outside toronto. ive found it hard to find a decent jeweler that has reasonable prices locally. Sinc eyou mentioned it (and I know asked about this in another post)....how do the AGS0 and ACA stones compare, performance wise? Also, how do the specs compare? ACA''s can be either AGS or GIA certed right? If AGS they''d be a 0 but if GIA, they be called Ideal? Did I get that right yet?

Moh: yes very true, nothing will compare with seeing the stones in person.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
I believe WF only sends their ACAs to AGS. They probably have an exclusive contract that gets them a discount or something. Just guessing.

GIA's top cut rating is more loosie goosie than AGS's. The cutters love this since it allows more steep deep combos that save more rough for higher profits. As far as most customers know those steep deeps with the GIA Excellent cut rating are the bee's knees.

IMHO I'd rather support AGS with their tighter specs. AGS just seems to be looking out for the consumer more than GIA is.
That said, there are plenty of stones with GIA's excellent cut rating can be winners too, but you must do more homework and pay closer attention.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 7:19:57 PM
Author: puravida
Wow thanks for the quick replies
1.gif

Just ran through the coloru tutorial....I can tell the difference between both G and H when they are compared to a D stone from the side. Face up I can''t really tell the diffrence. Wish they would have done that sort of photo with the G and H side by side!

neatfreak: nope, no jareds. i live just outside toronto. ive found it hard to find a decent jeweler that has reasonable prices locally. Sinc eyou mentioned it (and I know asked about this in another post)....how do the AGS0 and ACA stones compare, performance wise? Also, how do the specs compare? ACA''s can be either AGS or GIA certed right? If AGS they''d be a 0 but if GIA, they be called Ideal? Did I get that right yet?

Moh: yes very true, nothing will compare with seeing the stones in person.

GIA doesn''t use the term ideal, so they would be "excellent". But I''ve never seen an ACA that wasn''t certed by AGS. ACA''s are a very tightly controlled cut that is very comparable in performance to "generic" AGS0 stones. But it''s important to note that all ACA''s are H&A stones while not all AGS0''s are.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results