shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing cut quality

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

foxbase

Rough_Rock
Hi. I'm looking at two diamonds and I'm trying to evaluate cut quality. I'm a novice at this; I'm taking the big plunge and getting the big rock; so I'm kind of nervous about not getting the best quality I can get, with the best shine and brillance. Both stones seemed to shine very brightly for me. Please bear with me, there's two rocks I'm looking at. Are the cuts on these stones below average? average? above average? superb? which one's better and why? HELP!!

The first stone's spec's are:

depth: 60.1% table: 59%
girdle: thin to medium
culet: none
finish
polish: VG
symmetry: VG

clarity: VS2
Color: I; flourescence: none
Weight 1.35 carat

The second one's spec's are:

depth: 61.5% table: 56%
girdle: medium to slightly thick, faceted
finish
polish: VG
symmetry: VG

clarity: VS1
Color: G; flouresence: faint
Weight 1.25 carat

Dazed and confused with information overload,

Foxbase

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Foxbase,----------------
Are the cuts on these stones below average? average? above average? superb? which one's better and why?
---------------- Unfortunately, it is impossible to say without knowing crown and pavilion angles or live examination of the stones.

Could you ask for Sarin or Ogi report to get crown and pavilion data?

Are they GIA graded? What is the price?

foxbase

Rough_Rock
I can ask about the crown and pavilion information. Didn't know it was important. It's GIA rated -- in fact, I got the information from the GIA reports themselves. The first one is quoted at $8k and the second at $5.5k.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
I can ask about the crown and pavilion information. Didn't know it was important. It's GIA rated -- in fact, I got the information from the GIA reports themselves.
----------------

----------------
The first one is quoted at $8k and the second at $5.5k.
----------------
I just ran a search on Pricescope. Your prices are inline with internet prices just other way around :) The first one should be $5.5k.
[/u]

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:wavey: Hi
What are the top measurements of the above stones?
From what i have seen so far i think that both are very nice stones.the depth and the tables are nice , faint to none flour.and med-sltk is not bad at all!
The only thing left to do before you purchase is to "shop and compare"! go into different sites put and see if you are getting a good deal for your money.

good luck:))

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes do get the crown and pavilion angles..you will be able to tell more then. From just eyeballing, the second stone looks like a better buy between the two, first off because of the price difference, 2nd because the ratio of table to depth *seems* a little more desirable than a 59/60 (but again you wont know more til you get the crown and pav angles), and also lastly, and most importantly in my eyes, because of the color difference between the G and an I. Since your clarities are so similar, that isn't really a deciding factor, but in this case having the G/H/I difference makes the 2nd stone speak more to me.

foxbase

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your inputs. I'm still trying to get crown & pavilion information. But in the meantime, I did screw up the prices: the first is $5.5k and the second is $8k. Good catch, Leonid.

Foxbase

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I will ditto Leonids comments. To make a purchasing decision involving thousands of dollars and not have that minimum info is sheer lunacy. Demand that info then people here can give you a more educated opinion.

Peace,
Rhino

foxbase

Rough_Rock
How readily available should information on crown & pavilion angles be? My diamond source tells me that he lacks equipment to measure the angles, but should the information already be listed somewhere obvious?

foxbase

Rough_Rock
Hi. I've got the measurements on both stones. Can crown and pavilions be determined based on this?

The first stone -- 1.35 carat, VS2, I -- has dimensions of:

7.21 - 7.24 x 4.34 mm

and once again, its proportions are:

depth 60.1%
table 59%
girdle: thin to medium

The second stone -- 1.25 carat, VS1, G -- has dimensions of:

6.93 - 6.95 x 4.27 mm

and once again, its proportions are:

depth 61.5%
table 56%
girdle: medium to slightly thick, faceted

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Foxbase

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I have heard and seen, its virtually impossible to determine crown and angle pavilions from the data you have. If the vendor you are working with does not have equipment to measure the angles, it is your decision on whether to pursue these stones. More specific information on this stone can't really be given on these stones without these angles.

Many online and offline vendors will go the extra mile and/or have this info for you to view/use. If you are looking online, check out GoodOldGold.Com where they have about 5 different ways for you to view specifics on the diamonds they sell. Or check out another Pricescope Vendor who can give you this info.

Or if you are comfortable knowing what you know about the stones, and purchasing, then go with that. You can also have the stones independently appraised as noted in previous posts on this topic, before purchase to get this information during that process as well, and then make a final decision. However this could backfire, as you may be paying for 2 appraisals, and then if both stones come out with not-so-great results, you might have to start from scratch. So getting the crown and pav angles could save some heartache later *IF* you are really interested in getting more info.

Hope that helps...my two cents :)

foxbase

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tips. Sorry if I sound a bit naive about the whole process, because well, I really am. I'm just an average Joe trying to get the best rock for his buck to make his girl proud. Before buying anything I thought I'd check this web site because it sounds really informative.

When I talked to my diamond seller about determining crown and pavilion angles, he told me that you can get that information from the measurements on the GIA report and that it was an equation, he just didn't have it at the time. To me, it made sense at the time. GIA is an appraisal regarding diamond quality, why wouldn't it have the all the necessary information? Quite frankly, it shocks me that important information regarding the "cut" quality can't be found in a GIA report. Isn't the whole point of GIA and the premium which goes with their appraisal to determine the quality, including the cut, of the rock? I was previously lead to believe that the GIA report would give you all the info necessary for a sound decision.

Ok, enough belly-aching. I'm just glad there's this forum to help make an informative decision.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Fox, we've all asked ourselves those same questions many times. Why would one of the world's foremost laboratories not provide data which is essential to determining cut quality?

Makes absolutely no sense to me. If they don't change this policy soon I think they will risk losing huge market share.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results