shape
carat
color
clarity

Compare Your Wedding Dress With That Of The Royals

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this thread. All the brides are beautiful. I wonder if there is a classic dress that does not reflect an era or trend. Sleeves seem to be a big culprit in dating a dress. Puffy sleeves of the 70s and 80s, sleeveless, halter necks, of the 90s and 2000s, etc. Also shapes such as ball gowns of the 50s with tons of underlay petticoats or short gowns, slinky, fit and flare, mermaid for more recent times and layered/tiered dresses of the 70s and 80-s seem to date a dress. Finally veils (short, long ) and caps (60s and 70s), hats (80s)and tiaras(50s and 60s) etc add to the mix. Of course there are exceptions to these examples as each dress and bride is unique. But I wonder if there has been a design that has stood the test of time. For example a scoop neck with cap sleeves and empire design with minimal lace and beading accents? A simple veil?

This is (these are) an excellent (some excellent) question(s). I don't know the answer(s). Perhaps one could look through bridal gowns and see if there is one that looks timeless!

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Married in October 2013. Sort of... All over the place.
DH was out of work on disability but in order to access his 401k for some expenses, we needed the legal paperwork done (besides making it easier for me to get the Drs to do stuff!). Us plus three friends at the courthouse before work one morning (well, for all but DH who could barely stand at this point). Jeans and sweater, nothing fancy and no rings.
A week later, we did the ketubah at the synagogue and DH insisted I should wear my dress since we had already called the ceremony portion off. Rabbi surprised us with random guests so we had a minyan to do the blessings. I wore a white scarf thing since DH didn't think bare shoulders would be appropriate there.
Then wedding pictures at the winery where we had planned to do the ceremony and still had a (very) small reception.

DSC08528.JPG 5.jpg

174.jpg 242.jpg 225.jpg

I do not know the story of what was going on with your husband's health at this time, TooPatient. Were you having medical problems back then also? All I can see is that you have the most beautiful apple cheeks in the world; that you and your husband appear to be glowing with happiness; and that the dress you minimize in your write-up is utterly divine! Perhaps the dress did not mean all that much to you in the grand scheme of what was going on, but to an onlooker, it is stunning. The lace on your train is simply exquisite. You are a glowing, beautiful bride.

Hugs,
(((TooPatient)))
Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would've worn her dress but it was a thick material (Feb wedding) and when I married my ex our wedding was in August. It was a bit plain for me anyway, I think she was smaller than me back then.

I am sorry that we cannot see it better in the photo. Is it still undamaged in reality?

Deb :wavey:

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
I have gone through this thread several times. Everyone is just so lovely. :kiss2:

Our wedding was in 2008 at a golf course. I am very OCD with a nice heaping dose of control-freak, so I was very detailed and every single element of my wedding was planned with pinpoint accuracy. We got engaged about 14 months before the wedding. Wedding planning wasn't stressful, but I just like to make sure everything is mapped out and locked in. On the day of the rehearsal, I was told that the arch under which we would be married was totally chopped by the landscapers, and all the beautiful green lushness was gone. They tried to deocrate it will some flowers and tulle, but it wouldn't compare. Surprisigly, I didn't even bat an eyelash. When the musicians couldn't play their music outside because of high winds, I didn't even mind. They played inside and the music was piped outside during the ceremony. Everyone thought I would be so upset, but I honestly was on Cloud 9 because I was marrying my guy. I had the most wonderful, amazing, stupendous time. We paid for the entire wedding ourselves and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was worth every single penny and every single moment of planning and preparing. The wedding coorindators at the venue told me I was the most precise and easygoing bride they had ever encountered.

The only thing I have a tiny bit of regret about is my dress. It was the very first one I tried on, and I just fell in love. I tried on at least 50 more, but nothing compared to the first. I am very short, so I worry a bit now that the dress was more "wearning me." And my standard uniform is definitely jeans and a t-shirt, so I think the dress doesn't exactly match my personality. This is how I feel now, but at the time I loved it and it made me feel magical. =)2

0123.JPG 0194 (2).jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a summer wedding in the late 90s at a historical venue. My priorities were the flowers, cake and my tiara so my dress was very inexpensive. My mother did most of the planning which was a huge blessing.
BCC73ECE-8141-422C-8362-30C189AB64E7.jpeg BCFCD663-2346-4930-AF42-3CA15B3EF0BE.jpeg

I love your photos, and I especially love your tiara, kgizo, but since you mentioned that your tiara, your cake, and your flowers were your priorities, I have to ask if you have any more photos of those? I don't see more than a glimpse of the cake in the photos you posted. I also love the side view of your tiara and am dying to see it up close! Do you have a better shot of it? It is so ethereal! Where did you find it? Great photos!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! <3 It was our photographer. She's a true talent that started out as a food photographer for her own entries in cooking contests. She truly has evolved as an artist.

Bless her heart her beloved Corgi died the day before so some pictures were done for trash the dress on the beach a few weeks after the wedding. But she's still mustered through. The solo picture she turned into a painting for her studio.

IMG_1204.JPG View attachment 629554 View attachment 629555 IMG_1205.JPG IMG_0981.jpg

These are simply exquisite! What works of art!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were married 11/27/2016. Married at my Mother’s Memory Care Center (she has Alzheimer’s Disease). Staff allowed us to use a dining room they rarely use for our ceremony. We went to a small restaurant a few miles away for our dinner reception, where, after our champagne toast & first dance, I changed into my dinner cocktail/speakeasy dress. Our theme was 1920’s/1930’s Art-Deco/Gatsby Era.
My gown was found at a Bridal Outlet Store; it was originally $5,000, and I got it for $1,000! My veil was custom made to match the Chantiley Eyelash Lace on my gown by a woman in Hong Kong, I met on Etsy. I made the flower embellishment you see on the side of the veil. My neighbor stitched everything together & attached a blinged out headband inside my veil to make it easy to place & remove, to avoid destroying my hair.
My shoes were also custom made by a lovely woman in Scotland; I met her on Etsy, as well. I created all of the bouquets, boutonnières, and corsages, using silk flowers. I made all of the decorations, and my jewelry. I made my daughter’s jewelry, as well (she was a gorgeous flower girl).
We pulled this wedding together in 8 weeks due to my mother’s failing health. It was important to both of us to have her there, and for her to be involved in our ceremony before she was no longer able to do so. My sister-in-law did my hair & my make up. I did my nails.
My train was chapel length, and my veil was cathedral length. This was deliberate. ;)2
The fur stoll was a necessity due to the time of year. I fastened it in the front with a broach I found in an antique store.
I felt like Hollywood Royalty!! It was small & intimate, but it was beautiful, and sentimental. I wish I could marry him all over again...the same way!!! :kiss2:

A8F0D32D-3CF7-46AB-8D68-D9CF369A97CA.png CBCA72AA-F316-432A-8ED5-6E0FD69AE941.png B3340C96-F899-4D60-A1D4-B8A19382E4DC.png 1CD45DC7-0D8A-441C-AF52-FE4A2384402B.png 1A77A7DF-C688-48C9-A6B3-20605E2AD33D.png 0E37B743-20CD-43D4-AD3B-925714DAD481.jpeg 41DB5D31-0DF6-4E2F-8590-498EE2E25CAE.jpeg D9B9340F-A693-432B-92C4-BD25B26717D6.jpeg
This is a FABULOUS thread!!
Everyone looks absolutely stunning!! It’s wonderful to see all of the various styles, and how well they fit each bride!! Everyone has such different tastes & personalities! I think all of you are beautiful!! :bigsmile:

Everything about your wedding was exceptional, Matthews1127. Thank you for explaining everything you did. Your attention to detail was just amazing. I lost my mother ten years ago last month and my father a year ago last month. My parents are still with me every day. I think it is fabulous that your mother was part of your wedding and that she will always be with you when you think about it. Your daughter is charming (and gorgeous). God bless her!

Big hugs,
Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First wedding dress...channeling Diana through the shoulders. 1990...end of the era of big shoulders. The rest of the dress
was mermaid with a detachable train. Man, I loved that dress!

First wedding
first wedding dress.jpg

You look like an antebellum Southern belle in that hat, tyty! Your gown and hat are just to die for!!! You could be starring in a television show; it would be about some swashbuckler and a lovely southern lady.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were married on the 28th Dec 2007. Wedding was in my husbands home town, so I stayed in a hotel the night before the wedding, not our reception one!! So the one thing I had promised him was that I wouldn't be late!! The car I had booked never showed up, so 45 mins late for the wedding, the church was a 30 min drive away!! We had a hard time getting people on mobiles to let him know I hadn't stood my husband to be up, all switched off!!! It was one of the wettest days imaginable, so no outside photos till much later, in the pitch dark, and the best were in front of a stained glass window of an outdoor toilet block, lit by car headlights!!! I never had a videographer, my only regret now, as we had got a brass quintet in the church, but told everyone before it was going to be music from an iPod!! I remember my mum turning to me to ask to get someone to turn down the music, she hadn't even seen them we were so rushed coming in!! It was a fantastic day.

I was never going to be a white dress girl, I am very fair with freckles, so it does nothing for me!! So blue eyes, blue dress with lace and a train, I love it, the best decision I made. Only the family knew so it was a big surprise for everyone else!! 11 years and two kids later still together, time has flown though fullsizeoutput_539f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_6d5e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2bc6.jpeg

The gown suits your coloring to a T, DiamondBaby. Just perfect. Lovely photos, no matter what you say about the conditions under which they were taken! What country are you in?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s my wedding picture from 1982. My dress was featured in an article in Bride’s magazine. I made the veil. The only thing DH asked for was that he wear a tux with tails.

E9792149-A0C7-485C-A8B6-CEA27A5915AA.jpeg

Gorgeous gown and veil and your husband looks great in tails, too! Do you have a photo of the dress in "Bride's" magazine you can post?

Deb :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were married in March 2013 at Secrets Maroma Beach, Riviera Maya (Mexico) with 11 guests...

BradPaigeMexicoWedding-451.jpg BradPaigeMexicoWedding-463.jpg

BradPaigeMexicoWedding-741.jpg BradPaigeMexicoWedding-231.jpg

BradPaigeMexicoWedding-669.jpg BradPaigeMexicoWedding-703.jpg

BradPaigeMexicoWedding-877.jpg

BradPaigeReception-209.jpg BradPaigeReception-36_3.jpg

Sorry for so many pics... I'm obnoxious, I know. ;-)

Don't be sorry. That was one incredible wedding, msop! It was a true idyll. You are a beauty.

Hugs,

alpha238

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much Deb. I do have a copy of the magazine, however it’s packed in box up in the attic.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We eloped in Kauai! It was so awesome. A quick 15 minute ceremony on the beach, and the rest of the time we hiked, snorkeled, and had the most AMAZING time in truly unspoiled Hawaii....

My dress was two pieces, Nicole Miller I think. It has a very small train in back. It was like $250. I got it with the intention of being able to wear it again with a fur bolero. So far, I have not...

Pic of me being stupid....

10400989_41032576534_2015_n.jpg

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your photo and the description of your wedding, soxfan. You do not look at all the way I had imagined you. Because you have similar politics to mine, I had conjured up someone who-in my mind-went with those politics. Instead I see a beautiful nature-loving young bride looking athletic and sexy on a beach! SO not what I had pictured! You are adorable! (And I know you happen to be smart, too!)

Hugs,

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!!! It's amazing how the brain works! I used to visit an elderly Episcopalian lady with advanced Alzheimer's and she couldn't remember much, but she could still recite the Lord's prayer! You have to treasure everything you can get your hands on!

I did not see this, but when my grandmother's Alzheimer's became advanced, at one point the staff where she was thought she was speaking gibberish. My mother and her sister (my aunt) visited my grandmother regularly. (And a third sister was in the same home with her!) My mother explained to the staff that it wasn't gibberish; she saying her prayers in Slovak. :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are pics taken with my Iphone of the original pics since I have no clue how to scan them....

IMG_4882.JPG IMG_4877.JPG IMG_4883-1.JPG

Your red and white is quite striking and gorgeous, arkie. I would love to see more photos of your wedding if you think you could post them! If anyone can help you to overcome your technical challenges, please, do, post more photos!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2009, baby. Borrowed veil. Lace dress, designer is Junko Yoshioka. It was a style that was several seasons old, so the shop gave me a discount and threw in free alterations.

My parents were not impressed. Apparently, it didn't look "wedding" enough.

2850_94828651718_2629921_n.jpg 2850_94828661718_6363700_n.jpg

Fabulous train!!! What's not to like? How is that not simply perfect for a wedding?

Deb

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything about your wedding was exceptional, Matthews1127. Thank you for explaining everything you did. Your attention to detail was just amazing. I lost my mother ten years ago last month and my father a year ago last month. My parents are still with me every day. I think it is fabulous that your mother was part of your wedding and that she will always be with you when you think about it. Your daughter is charming (and gorgeous). God bless her!

Big hugs,
Deb

I’m terribly sorry for your loss. I lost my dad when I was 6 years old. My mother & my brother (and my grandparents) raised me. My mother’s my best friend, and all I’ve ever had. I know her time is coming, and it’s devastating. My deepest condolences to you, Deb.
I appreciate your sweet compliments! I believe my daughter is beautiful, but it means more to have someone else say it (I AM her mother, after all...lol!) We all had the best time, and it was simply divine to share it with our close friends & family. My brother & his family live in New Mexico, so they were greatly missed, that day. Hoping to renew our vows & have all of them present, then!! :mrgreen2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the Royal Wedding thread a poster commented that royal brides had to be covered up, not showing cleavage, bare shoulders, or too much upper arm. The photo below shows Lady Diana Spencer; Katherine Middleton; and Meghan Markle at their weddings. I was married in the United states in 1977. As I posted in the Royal Wedding thread, at that point some people had started to marry less conventionally (on beaches, on so forth). When I was growing up in the 1950's and early 1960's, however, brides never dressed to show bare shoulders or cleavage. A bride dressed modestly. In this thread I invite you to post a photo of yourself to show how covered up you were when you got married. Letting us know the year; the country; and the venue (e.g. a church or a private beach or garden) in which you got married would also be interesting. You can disguise your face if you desire anonymity.

I will start. I had a church wedding in 1977 in the United States. The planning for it was very rushed (done in one month) so my veil was the wrong one; my hair wasn't professionally done; my dress wasn't correctly altered, and so forth. In the second photo one can see my Juliet cap had slipped back on my head. I am not delighted with all the details of what I ended up wearing or how I had my hair. (I am afraid my ensemble will be picked apart the way Meghan Markle's was and I had no assistance getting ready), but this is the general style I chose and also what I considered modern and acceptable in that era. The dress I wore in 1977 follows the general guidelines of what royal brides still wear; it is what was once universally considered to be tasteful for a church wedding.

Please share!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

From left to right
The late Diana, Princess of Wales; The Duchess of Cambridge; The Duchess of Sussex:
RoyalBrides.jpeg

AGBF married in The United States at a church ceremony in 1977:

AGBFBride.jpg AGBFBride2.jpg

You look amazing!! Everything looks perfect!! You are a head to toe knock out!! :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I have a tiny bit of regret about is my dress.
...​
I am very short, so I worry a bit now that the dress was more "wearning me."
0123.JPG 0194 (2).jpg

Dear GCGDanielle-

If that dress is wearing you, I only wish that I could have been tiny enough and lovely for it to have fit me so that it could have worn me on my wedding day! What a bride you made! NEVER second guess that lovely gown again!

Big hugs,

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You look amazing!! Everything looks perfect!! You are a head to toe knock out!! :bigsmile:

Thank you, Matthews1127. You are an unfailingly kind woman! If I ever had any thoughts that I looked pretty as a bride, however, this thread set me straight! The women of Pricescope have to be the most beautiful women on earth. As I go from photo to photo, I see one woman who is more beautiful than the next. One is willowy and chic and looks as if she stepped out of "Vanity Fair". The next looks as she she is part of The Kennedy clan at Hyannis Port, a natural beauty who wouldn't need a lick of makeup on her perfect face. Then a woman shows up who is tiny and slender and graceful and draped in lace and looks so delicate that she seems to have stepped out of a fairy tale! I am humbled!!!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Matthews1127. You are an unfailingly kind woman! If I ever had any thoughts that I looked pretty as a bride, however, this thread set me straight! The women of Pricescope have to be the most beautiful women on earth. As I go from photo to photo, I see one woman who is more beautiful than the next. One is willowy and chic and looks as if she stepped out of "Vanity Fair". The next looks as she she is part of The Kennedy clan at Hyannis Port, a natural beauty who wouldn't need a lick of makeup on her perfect face. Then a woman shows up who is tiny and slender and graceful and draped in lace and looks so delicate that she seems to have stepped out of a fairy tale! I am humbled!!!

I completely share your opinion; everyone is so beautiful, and all of our personalities shine in this thread.
Thank you for creating such a lovely thread with such a fun topic, @AGBF! For many, the wedding day is long past, but these photos live forever as a reminder of what was one of the most precious moments of their lives. I feel so lucky to have been able to share & read stories, here! There are always hidden meanings behind things in all weddings, mine, included. It’s great to learn the experiences of others, and share in their joy.
There is not one bride I would set higher than another, here! Everyone looked (and felt, it seems) absolutely beautiful on their special day, and each photo depicts that wonderfully!
I, too, am curious to see close ups & more photos of other details from everyone’s special day: rings (guys, too!), cake, flowers, etc. This thread is FAB-U-lous!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OT but I think about this when I see some new fashion trend that every store seems to be pushing. Recently it was half bell sleeves (not sure what to call it) but they were everywhere. Before that it was the plaid baby doll dresses

When I first read this posting and watched the attached video posted by bludiva I saw her allusion to "plaid" wedding gowns. I had never heard of a plaid wedding gown, so when I had a moment, I looked them up. I was surprised to see that not only had white gowns been combined with tartans and dresses made out of tartans become popular (at some point), but that some pure white dresses were plaid, too. I found the white plaid quite interesting and thought I would share it here.

PlaidWeddingDress.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results