shape
carat
color
clarity

Compare Your Wedding Dress With That Of The Royals

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were married 11/27/2016. Married at my Mother’s Memory Care Center (she has Alzheimer’s Disease). Staff allowed us to use a dining room they rarely use for our ceremony. We went to a small restaurant a few miles away for our dinner reception, where, after our champagne toast & first dance, I changed into my dinner cocktail/speakeasy dress. Our theme was 1920’s/1930’s Art-Deco/Gatsby Era.
My gown was found at a Bridal Outlet Store; it was originally $5,000, and I got it for $1,000! My veil was custom made to match the Chantiley Eyelash Lace on my gown by a woman in Hong Kong, I met on Etsy. I made the flower embellishment you see on the side of the veil. My neighbor stitched everything together & attached a blinged out headband inside my veil to make it easy to place & remove, to avoid destroying my hair.
My shoes were also custom made by a lovely woman in Scotland; I met her on Etsy, as well. I created all of the bouquets, boutonnières, and corsages, using silk flowers. I made all of the decorations, and my jewelry. I made my daughter’s jewelry, as well (she was a gorgeous flower girl).
We pulled this wedding together in 8 weeks due to my mother’s failing health. It was important to both of us to have her there, and for her to be involved in our ceremony before she was no longer able to do so. My sister-in-law did my hair & my make up. I did my nails.
My train was chapel length, and my veil was cathedral length. This was deliberate. ;)2
The fur stoll was a necessity due to the time of year. I fastened it in the front with a broach I found in an antique store.
I felt like Hollywood Royalty!! It was small & intimate, but it was beautiful, and sentimental. I wish I could marry him all over again...the same way!!! :kiss2:

A8F0D32D-3CF7-46AB-8D68-D9CF369A97CA.png CBCA72AA-F316-432A-8ED5-6E0FD69AE941.png B3340C96-F899-4D60-A1D4-B8A19382E4DC.png 1CD45DC7-0D8A-441C-AF52-FE4A2384402B.png 1A77A7DF-C688-48C9-A6B3-20605E2AD33D.png 0E37B743-20CD-43D4-AD3B-925714DAD481.jpeg 41DB5D31-0DF6-4E2F-8590-498EE2E25CAE.jpeg D9B9340F-A693-432B-92C4-BD25B26717D6.jpeg
This is a FABULOUS thread!!
Everyone looks absolutely stunning!! It’s wonderful to see all of the various styles, and how well they fit each bride!! Everyone has such different tastes & personalities! I think all of you are beautiful!! :bigsmile:
I ADORE everything about this, especially the part about you having it at your mom's memory care center. I shed a little tear over that because I've done chaplaincy work at memory care centers. Truly beautiful!!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's what makes me laugh...Look at those shoulders...I could have gone and played a football game after the reception!

@PintoBean You looked beautiful on your wedding day...I know you have some lovely photos...would you care to post?
When @Dancing Fire posts a current pic first :lol:

@alpha238 Thank you...and where are your pics Ms child bride! I'm sure yours are just as lovely!

DiamondBaby

Shiny_Rock
We were married on the 28th Dec 2007. Wedding was in my husbands home town, so I stayed in a hotel the night before the wedding, not our reception one!! So the one thing I had promised him was that I wouldn't be late!! The car I had booked never showed up, so 45 mins late for the wedding, the church was a 30 min drive away!! We had a hard time getting people on mobiles to let him know I hadn't stood my husband to be up, all switched off!!! It was one of the wettest days imaginable, so no outside photos till much later, in the pitch dark, and the best were in front of a stained glass window of an outdoor toilet block, lit by car headlights!!! I never had a videographer, my only regret now, as we had got a brass quintet in the church, but told everyone before it was going to be music from an iPod!! I remember my mum turning to me to ask to get someone to turn down the music, she hadn't even seen them we were so rushed coming in!! It was a fantastic day.

I was never going to be a white dress girl, I am very fair with freckles, so it does nothing for me!! So blue eyes, blue dress with lace and a train, I love it, the best decision I made. Only the family knew so it was a big surprise for everyone else!! 11 years and two kids later still together, time has flown though fullsizeoutput_539f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_6d5e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2bc6.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were married in March 2013 at Secrets Maroma Beach, Riviera Maya (Mexico) with 11 guests... then had our reception back home in AL so all our loved ones could celebrate with us! We paid for most of it, but our parents covered a generous portion of the cost as well.

Our guests and my sweet daddy... this was his last rodeo to walk a daughter down the aisle (three daughters), and he was thrilled -- can't you see the excitement in his face??!! Bless his heart. ;-)
BradPaigeMexicoWedding-451.jpg BradPaigeMexicoWedding-463.jpg

My dress was by Allure, on sale for $1400, and I paid for it with the cash back I'd earned on my credit card! I still love it. I think my veil was $350 or so.
BradPaigeMexicoWedding-741.jpg BradPaigeMexicoWedding-231.jpg

We found this really cool abandoned mansion down the beach...
BradPaigeMexicoWedding-669.jpg BradPaigeMexicoWedding-703.jpg

Gotta have a beach shot, right??
BradPaigeMexicoWedding-877.jpg

Reception in Birmingham... yes, that's an Auburn groom's cake. Also, my husband insisted on wearing that heinous tie. Most of the reception photos we bought had to be in black and white because of it. UGH! I chose to pick my battles. ;-)
BradPaigeReception-209.jpg BradPaigeReception-36_3.jpg

Sorry for so many pics... I'm obnoxious, I know. ;-)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were married on the 28th Dec 2007. Wedding was in my husbands home town, so I stayed in a hotel the night before the wedding, not our reception one!! So the one thing I had promised him was that I wouldn't be late!! The car I had booked never showed up, so 45 mins late for the wedding, the church was a 30 min drive away!! We had a hard time getting people on mobiles to let him know I hadn't stood my husband to be up, all switched off!!! It was one of the wettest days imaginable, so no outside photos till much later, in the pitch dark, and the best were in front of a stained glass window of an outdoor toilet block, lit by car headlights!!! I never had a videographer, my only regret now, as we had got a brass quintet in the church, but told everyone before it was going to be music from an iPod!! I remember my mum turning to me to ask to get someone to turn down the music, she hadn't even seen them we were so rushed coming in!! It was a fantastic day.

I was never going to be a white dress girl, I am very fair with freckles, so it does nothing for me!! So blue eyes, blue dress with lace and a train, I love it, the best decision I made. Only the family knew so it was a big surprise for everyone else!! 11 years and two kids later still together, time has flown though fullsizeoutput_539f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_6d5e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2bc6.jpeg
A blue dress! Such a great and original idea!
My grandmother, who was married in 1925, wore a lilac dress. She told me that she wore the dress many times after that.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We eloped in Kauai! It was so awesome. A quick 15 minute ceremony on the beach, and the rest of the time we hiked, snorkeled, and had the most AMAZING time in truly unspoiled Hawaii....

My dress was two pieces, Nicole Miller I think. It has a very small train in back. It was like $250. I got it with the intention of being able to wear it again with a fur bolero. So far, I have not...

Pic of me being stupid....

10400989_41032576534_2015_n.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ADORE everything about this, especially the part about you having it at your mom's memory care center. I shed a little tear over that because I've done chaplaincy work at memory care centers. Truly beautiful!!!

This is so sweet. I’m glad my story touched you. Having her there was a dream come true for both her, and me. I had a very difficult time dress shopping without her; that was a very painful day. Thankfully, I did things backwards, and I was able to share it with MY daughter, and my SIL (DH’s brother’s wife, who became my MOH). They made that day special. They took lots of photos so I could share them with her. She cried. She was so thrilled my day had finally come, and she couldn’t wait to see me get married. I was so grateful to her center for opening their doors, and their hearts to us so we could not only allow her to witness the ceremony, but she participated in the handfasting portion, as well, with my MIL.
We made the right decision to move things up, quickly; she is no longer able to walk, nor can she independently feed herself. She knows who we are, and even still recognizes my voice, when I call.
I give thanks for the little things.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so sweet. I’m glad my story touched you. Having her there was a dream come true for both her, and me. I had a very difficult time dress shopping without her; that was a very painful day. Thankfully, I did things backwards, and I was able to share it with MY daughter, and my SIL (DH’s brother’s wife, who became my MOH). They made that day special. They took lots of photos so I could share them with her. She cried. She was so thrilled my day had finally come, and she couldn’t wait to see me get married. I was so grateful to her center for opening their doors, and their hearts to us so we could not only allow her to witness the ceremony, but she participated in the handfasting portion, as well, with my MIL.
We made the right decision to move things up, quickly; she is no longer able to walk, nor can she independently feed herself. She knows who we are, and even still recognizes my voice, when I call.
I give thanks for the little things.
Yes!!! It's amazing how the brain works! I used to visit an elderly Episcopalian lady with advanced Alzheimer's and she couldn't remember much, but she could still recite the Lord's prayer! You have to treasure everything you can get your hands on!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are pics taken with my Iphone of the original pics since I have no clue how to scan them and it was before digital pics, that reduced the quality of them, they are not the best pics, ones that do not directly show my face, but do show parts of the dress. My dress was handmade for me in 1999/2000 with my ideas by a Sydney couturier and cost many thousands of dollars. The bottom skirt is layers of tulle with a huge petticoat under it there are tiny Swarovski crystals all over it which do not show up in pics. The top is a separate boned bodice with an embroidered red heart in the top middle and more Swarovski crystals each hand sewn onto it, the strap also has crystals hand sewn and the back has a red satin and bow that laces up the back so the guests had something to see from the back in the church. Red was also a significant colour to both of us.

I also had a custom handmade tiara which you cannot see in these particular photos, but I'm avoiding pics with close ups of my face. Our wedding cake had mini cartoon icing figures of us in our wedding outfits and a small icing Scottish terrier and Tonkinese cat as well. The silvery dust in the last pic is something someone was throwing at me..

IMG_4882.JPG IMG_4877.JPG IMG_4883-1.JPG

Last edited:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loving this thread - everyone looks gorgeous!

This isn’t actually me but my dress looked quite similar.... I wanted it to be very understated and “classic” so minimal decorations and lace. It only cost $600 to be handmade for me which was great as we were young & rather poor! :whistle: My only regret is I didn’t wear a veil. It was a small church wedding with lunch reception. I loved it. :kiss2:
506B982D-4934-43ED-9DCD-398B24881E03.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone looks so lovely! Handsome couples!!! I love wedding pictures. Its such a happy day (for most:P2).

First wedding dress...channeling Diana through the shoulders. 1990...end of the era of big shoulders. The rest of the dress
was mermaid with a detachable train. Man, I loved that dress! Now, when I look at the pictures it makes me giggle!:cheeky:
I dont really have any good pictures of my second wedding dress. Much simpler since it was a second wedding. We eloped so
it was just the two of us.

First wedding
first wedding dress.jpg

You were a beautiful bride - your dress and hat are gorgeous!!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:clap:
Everyone looks so lovely! Handsome couples!!! I love wedding pictures. Its such a happy day (for most:P2).

First wedding dress...channeling Diana through the shoulders. 1990...end of the era of big shoulders. The rest of the dress
was mermaid with a detachable train. Man, I loved that dress! Now, when I look at the pictures it makes me giggle!:cheeky:
I dont really have any good pictures of my second wedding dress. Much simpler since it was a second wedding. We eloped so
it was just the two of us.

First wedding
first wedding dress.jpg
I LOVE this!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2009, baby. Borrowed veil. Lace dress, designer is Junko Yoshioka. It was a style that was several seasons old, so the shop gave me a discount and threw in free alterations.

My parents were not impressed. Apparently, it didn't look "wedding" enough. I still love it. Super comfy

2850_94828651718_2629921_n.jpg 2850_94828661718_6363700_n.jpg

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Yimmers
I think your dress is beautiful! Do you happen to have a picture you could share showing the train fanned out more?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All this talk of dresses, I dug mine out and put it on.

40 years ago, I thought it was lovely, now I think “what was I thinking?”

B39AAC75-0A88-4A33-8A76-80CCE559103C.jpeg

1DBD1B2F-9B3D-4981-A895-E7FFEC12B6C7.jpeg

I think you were thinking that it was extremely feminine, demure (as a bride's dress was supposed to be in that era-when I, also, got married), and elegant. I love the color! It is amazing that you still look good in it, Austina. Kudos to you!

Deb/AGBF :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your very sweet words, Deb! I thought your pictures were just gorgeous. This is such a sweet thread! I absolutely love every single photo!

I don't think I have any back or side views of the headpiece. It was relatively simple, kind of like a curved band. My daughter should be getting engaged by the end of the year, so I am going to pull out the dress just for fun at that point!

Maybe we will get some photos of you in it then!!!

Deb :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love this thread. All the beautiful dresses , so different and so special. I was married in 1989 which would be quite clear with between style, the hair and the headdress. But we were paying for the wedding ourselves so we kept things simple, affordable where we could. I assumed I was buying my own dress and shows accordingly but I loved it. Then my dear aunt and uncle told me that was going to be their gift to me and accused me of lying about the price. I think the dress was about $240. They gave me a check that covered all of that plus my shoes and my undergarments and the veil and the headpiece 20180523_091917.jpg 20180523_091920.jpg

You couldn't be more exquisite, KaeKae. No one would guess that you attempted to save any money on your ensemble! I wish that I had gotten married in the 1980's. I think it was the perfect era for brides, with all the puffy dresses and veils. Every bride looks like a princess to me! Don't give me any of those sleek gowns like the one Carolyn Bessette Kennedy wore. Give me yards and yards of tulle!

You look amazing!

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this thread too! Diamondseeker is right, weddings were much simpler when we got married. Very little fuss. DH and I paid for much of our wedding ourselves. My aunt and uncle paid for all of our flowers and we had quite a bit of them. My husband literally didn't have a job on our wedding day. He was delivering small freight with his little pick up truck and the boss stopped paying him. We went on our honeymoon with wedding gift money. We were both 20 years old and couldn't even (legally) have champagne at our wedding.
All of the PS brides are so beautiful and I am so touched by the stories. I am so happy that many who weren't happy in there first marriage got a lovely redo and found their prince. I am a sucker for a happy ending.

That is a fabulous story. We were poor as could be, too, only not as poor as my parents when they got married! They eloped and the "guests" were the people at the fundraising dinner where their minister happened to be. My father, who was a student, couldn't afford a wedding band, so they borrowed one for the ceremony and then the guests passed around a hat to gather money so that my father could buy my mother one!

Is there a picture anywhere in this thread of your wedding gown, luv2sparkle?

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were 21! But no champagne because the reception was at the church!

You were babies! We were both 26. But we got married in The Unitarian-Universalist Church, which couldn't have cared less whether we drank alcohol there. I assume. I mean I belonged to their youth group growing up and alcohol was forbidden then (as were firearms, cigarettes, and so forth) but I think that was because of our age. The Church had no prohibition against alcohol. But our reception was not at the church, so the point was moot. :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were married in 2001 in a tiny church with the reception following at a historic hotel in Arkansas. We chose to not have the small town Texas wedding in my hometown after seeing my mom and my sister plan my sister's wedding, lol. I was very happy with the 100 guests that came for the weekend and it was perfect. My sister had 500 and my mom was so stressed that she got shingles! And the cost was outrageous! I think simple can be charming and beautiful.

It sounds beautiful. Do you have pictures, ceg?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was married in 1984 in a church. It was very hot that day and everyone looks a bit wilted in the pics! My dress had a train and I did feel a little like a princess, at least for a few hours. :P2

1C88A753-EF1C-4B67-BC02-7C1746965689.jpeg A45AA2FE-DE9C-40F5-885C-9D33BEC64D25.jpeg

You really looked like a princess, junebug. You are an incredibly beautiful woman. I saw these photos before I went away for the Memorial Day weekend but did not have the time to respond to it. I have to tell you that they really made an impression on me. You are lovely. Your husband is handsome. I love your gown and cap. Everything is just perfect. I want to come back and look at these photos when I have time. Thank you for sharing them!

Hugs,
(((junebug)))
Deb

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF
Thank you so much!
I agree, and have been loving all different looks a princess, I mean bride, and choose. ;-)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
50447EC6-8EF1-4700-872C-B6F6184416EE.jpeg I am paranoid so made us invisible people lol. I’m a fatter version of this in 1995. :lol::eek2:

It is beautiful, whitewave, but I have to say that seeing your face painted out is a bit of a disappointment! It isn't that I do not understand intellectually, but the princess-ness of the photo demands your face! Lovely, lovely gown, veil, and bouquet, though. And I see you had a white limousine. (We used regular cars!) Everything looks very classy!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF , yes at the very beginning of this thread. We were walking back down the aisle. I can never remember a happier moment in my life than I felt at that moment. Although I have to say my husband is even handsomer today.

Attachments

• 338CD0FC-2958-4968-BF84-9AC935580AF1.png
    338CD0FC-2958-4968-BF84-9AC935580AF1.png
    622.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results