shape
carat
color
clarity

Compare Your Wedding Dress With That Of The Royals

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I had so much fun reading everyone's posts!!! You all are BEAUTIFUL! I do like some of the more modern dresses, but honestly I still like mine. ;-) Scroll down if you don't want the story.

Married in 1998, I loved my dress but now I see it's quite dated :lol:

I had been engaged before, went dress shopping, tried on lots of dresses, finally settled on this long sleeved number (we were getting married in the winter). It was ok, but I didn't love it. Broke up w/the guy, didn't think about the dress (he had paid for it, as we had gone w/his family to pick it out :roll).

Fast forward to meeting my hubby and dating (1st date in October '97, Married August '98), whirlwind courtship! I ambled into one popular dress shop and saw one of his co-workers before we were even engaged :shock: had to back out quickly, I was so embarrassed. I was still kind of shopping, stopped in this tiny shop, not a major chain. I looked at a few books, and saw this dress. Loved it! She said she had a sample and encouraged me to try it on. I said, no it won't fit, yada yada...she convinced me. Oh, my I LOVED it! Had the :love::love::love: moment. Best part, it was $500! My veil & shoes were like $100 (I can't remember). So I found my dress BEFORE we were even engaged! Made the mistake of telling him, we were going to go to a pre-marriage seminar (which we never did) so we were already on that path. Plus, I figured even if we didn't, I still loved that dress!

Obviously no necklace, my earrings were from a Claire's type place in the mall that my maid of honor purchased the day before. The dress is stuffed up in the closet, in a bag, shoes are at the bottom of said closet.

I orignaly just went to the kitchen and took pictures of the ones hanging there, but because my kitchen lighting is horrible (red cabinets aren't the best at lighting), they were horrible. See, this lives in my kitchen: 20180620_201754.jpg
So, I dug out the (very) dusty photo album (that I covered almost 20 years ago) and took better ones ;-)
Here are a few of my favorites:
20180620_200940.jpg
20180620_201150.jpg Because we all love our sparklies! Unfortunately, hubby's band was stolen during a robbery a few years ago, so all I have are pictures.
20180620_201213.jpg This picture is of me standing over the AC vent at the reception (super fancy: mom's kitchen/house). We flew in from Anchorage to Tucson in AUGUST so I was melting!
20180620_201625.jpg This is one of my favorites :kiss2: it was taken during our dance 20180620_201655.jpg This picture was a request of my aunt's, she had wanted this done at her wedding, but they said no. I sent my other copy of it to her. I made the flower girl's baskets. All of my attendants, with the exception of my maid of honor, were my little sisters (I have 5). :D

20180620_201634.jpg I saw this in a (very) pricey photographer's shop when we were interviewing photographers, and stole the idea :mrgreen2:

Sorrynotsorry for all the pictures :saint::lol: Ok..I'll stop here...but I have more....:twisted2::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

I looove the neckline on that dress! :D It's pretty!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I had so much fun reading everyone's posts!!! You all are BEAUTIFUL! I do like some of the more modern dresses, but honestly I still like mine. ;-) Scroll down if you don't want the story.

Married in 1998, I loved my dress but now I see it's quite dated :lol:

I had been engaged before, went dress shopping, tried on lots of dresses, finally settled on this long sleeved number (we were getting married in the winter). It was ok, but I didn't love it. Broke up w/the guy, didn't think about the dress (he had paid for it, as we had gone w/his family to pick it out :roll).

Fast forward to meeting my hubby and dating (1st date in October '97, Married August '98), whirlwind courtship! I ambled into one popular dress shop and saw one of his co-workers before we were even engaged :shock: had to back out quickly, I was so embarrassed. I was still kind of shopping, stopped in this tiny shop, not a major chain. I looked at a few books, and saw this dress. Loved it! She said she had a sample and encouraged me to try it on. I said, no it won't fit, yada yada...she convinced me. Oh, my I LOVED it! Had the :love::love::love: moment. Best part, it was $500! My veil & shoes were like $100 (I can't remember). So I found my dress BEFORE we were even engaged! Made the mistake of telling him, we were going to go to a pre-marriage seminar (which we never did) so we were already on that path. Plus, I figured even if we didn't, I still loved that dress!

Obviously no necklace, my earrings were from a Claire's type place in the mall that my maid of honor purchased the day before. The dress is stuffed up in the closet, in a bag, shoes are at the bottom of said closet.

I orignaly just went to the kitchen and took pictures of the ones hanging there, but because my kitchen lighting is horrible (red cabinets aren't the best at lighting), they were horrible. See, this lives in my kitchen: 20180620_201754.jpg
So, I dug out the (very) dusty photo album (that I covered almost 20 years ago) and took better ones ;-)
Here are a few of my favorites:
20180620_200940.jpg
20180620_201150.jpg Because we all love our sparklies! Unfortunately, hubby's band was stolen during a robbery a few years ago, so all I have are pictures.
20180620_201213.jpg This picture is of me standing over the AC vent at the reception (super fancy: mom's kitchen/house). We flew in from Anchorage to Tucson in AUGUST so I was melting!
20180620_201625.jpg This is one of my favorites :kiss2: it was taken during our dance 20180620_201655.jpg This picture was a request of my aunt's, she had wanted this done at her wedding, but they said no. I sent my other copy of it to her. I made the flower girl's baskets. All of my attendants, with the exception of my maid of honor, were my little sisters (I have 5). :D

20180620_201634.jpg I saw this in a (very) pricey photographer's shop when we were interviewing photographers, and stole the idea :mrgreen2:

Sorrynotsorry for all the pictures :saint::lol: Ok..I'll stop here...but I have more....:twisted2::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

Great story and you got ahead of the “ring in flower” trend! Side note: I cannot believe 1998 was 20 years ago...

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great story and you got ahead of the “ring in flower” trend! Side note: I cannot believe 1998 was 20 years ago...

Thanks!

I know!! 20 years sounds soooo long...and yet I remember it well! ;-)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Married :kiss2:
6-12-18

777BC214-10FF-42E0-99A1-5B17AAFF146A.jpeg

EDF8D2ED-1708-4EE4-9CA2-935CC897A1D2.jpeg

CF2E80C9-0918-40F2-9E98-F6BBFEA8AFBD.jpeg

Now that the stress of planning the wedding is over I’ll have to go catch up on this thread! I’ve loved seeing everyone’s dresses and styles =)2

I hope you will share your rings with us as well - yanno, now that you are a married lady! Lol!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! You were a gorgeous bride! Thanks for sharing these pictures with us - love them!!!

Thanks so much MGR!

Gorgeous bride and gorgeous couple.:kiss2: Wishing you much happiness and love always.:appl:

Much appreciated Missy :)

You look fabulous @ILikeShiny wishing you a long and happy marriage

I'll take that wish! We're on the "downhill" of life so we're hoping for at least 40 years :mrgreen2:

Congratulations!! Thats a lovely dress!!

Thank you! I tried on dresses with DH (then FI) and when he saw me in it he teared up. That's how I knew it was the one. I also knew he'd never remember what it looked like by the time the wedding rolled around because his memory just doesn't work that way :lol:. Plus, I actually changed the hemline. It was a straight cut across the bottom and about a 3ft train but I had them cut it in to a high-low with maybe a few inches of train so that I could show off my shoes (DH is a shoe guy - haha) :)

Congratulations @ILikeShiny - you look amazing!

Thank you so much. It was an amazing day, in so many ways :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Last edited:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny , congratulations!!!! You look beautiful and these pictures were worth waiting for!!! I recognize the shawl and the necklace...how absolutely stunning and elegant!!! If there were a "LOVE" button, I'd click on that! Wishing you and your husband many years of happiness!!! <3

Yay! Isn't it fun to see how all the pieces came together?! I had such a happy moment when I looked in the mirror and went "Ah-ha!" :lol: And thanks for the well wishes!

You’re so gorgeous! Those flowers are a dream and I love how you showed off your shoes. Congratulations!

Omg, my flowers... there are no words. I worked so hard to convey to the florist how I wanted it all to look... the color scheme, the flow, the "vibe"... and they took my breath away. I was astounded when I saw it all and just stared and stared at my arch :love::love::love:. And then they gave me my bouquet and I actually teared up. Absolute perfection!!! I really could't have asked for anything more from the flowers. And my shoes! I actually had those custom made and LOVE how they came out. Here are some more photos of the flowers and shoes =)2

IMG_9968.jpg
IMG_9984.jpg
IMG_9983.jpg
IMG_9990.jpg
IMG_9978.jpg
IMG_9977.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_9971.jpg

Congratulations! What a beautiful couple you make!!!

Thanks Luce!

I want you to change your username to IAMShiny. You are just so shiny and spectacular!!!!:love::lickout::appl:

Haha... Thanks PB! You brought a big grin to my face :lol: I'll take the suggestion in to consideration :mrgreen2:.

Congratulations!! Blessings for a lifetime if happiness!! You look amazing!!! :kiss2:

Thanks Matthews :)

Congrats @ILikeShiny ! You look beautiful! :love:

Thank you SimoneDi!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It all looks so beautiful @ILikeShiny , so happy for you that you have such a wonderful day to remember forever.

As someone who will be celebrating 40 years married this years, I wish you the same!

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay! Isn't it fun to see how all the pieces came together?! I had such a happy moment when I looked in the mirror and went "Ah-ha!" :lol: And thanks for the well wishes!

Omg, my flowers... there are no words. I worked so hard to convey to the florist how I wanted it all to look... the color scheme, the flow, the "vibe"... and they took my breath away. I was astounded when I saw it all and just stared and stared at my arch :love::love::love:. And then they gave me my bouquet and I actually teared up. Absolute perfection!!! I really could't have asked for anything more from the flowers. And my shoes! I actually had those custom made and LOVE how they came out. Here are some more photos of the flowers and shoes =)2

IMG_9968.jpg
IMG_9984.jpg
IMG_9983.jpg
IMG_9990.jpg
IMG_9978.jpg
IMG_9977.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_9971.jpg

Thanks Luce!

Haha... Thanks PB! You brought a big grin to my face :lol: I'll take the suggestion in to consideration :mrgreen2:.

Thanks Matthews :)

Thank you SimoneDi!!
Every single detail of your wedding is breathtaking!! The flowers are truly amazing - more beautiful than any I've seen on any of the wedding blogs - in fact, I hope you post your gorgeous photos on at least one of them!!! LOVE!!! :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had so much fun reading everyone's posts!!! You all are BEAUTIFUL! I do like some of the more modern dresses, but honestly I still like mine. ;-)

Your dress is lovely, CS, as were your flowers, and
especially, your smile! And I love that you took that special photo for your aunt!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILS awwwww you look perfectly gorgeously wonderfully beautiful as does your gorgeous hubby. I missed this @ILikeShiny thanks for the redirect. Your dress is sooooo classsy.. and I am sooooooo happy for you. all my best for a future of happiness, joy and peace.

Kate

Married :kiss2:
6-12-18

777BC214-10FF-42E0-99A1-5B17AAFF146A.jpeg

EDF8D2ED-1708-4EE4-9CA2-935CC897A1D2.jpeg

CF2E80C9-0918-40F2-9E98-F6BBFEA8AFBD.jpeg

Now that the stress of planning the wedding is over I’ll have to go catch up on this thread! I’ve loved seeing everyone’s dresses and styles =)2

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I feel awful that I somehow missed these messages! Sorry for the delay in acknowledging all of your kind words :doh:

OMG! I'm dying over these photos... and the flowers!! **dead**

I know msop, me too. I want to go back and relive that day... and those flowers... over and over again! I hypothetically may be looking in to having my bouquet recreated as an arrangement for a vase... ;)2

@ILikeShiny your pics are beautiful! Those flowers! !!!!! Love!

Thanks so much ceg! :kiss2:

So dreamy! Again...your flowers were beyond stunning!

Thanks Bonfire :mrgreen2:

It all looks so beautiful @ILikeShiny , so happy for you that you have such a wonderful day to remember forever.

As someone who will be celebrating 40 years married this years, I wish you the same!

Austina, from your lips...

He is the man of my dreams, and I am grateful for every day we have together. We missed having kids together, but I look forward to grandkids and retirement and growing old in each others arms :kiss2:

Every single detail of your wedding is breathtaking!! The flowers are truly amazing - more beautiful than any I've seen on any of the wedding blogs - in fact, I hope you post your gorgeous photos on at least one of them!!! LOVE!!! :)

What a sweet sweet compliment!! Thank you so much! I'm dying with anticipation to see all of the photos our photographer took; we should have them all in the next week or two :appl:

@ILikeShiny Your pictures are just gorgeous! :love: Congratulations on your marriage!!!

Thanks DS!

ILS awwwww you look perfectly gorgeously wonderfully beautiful as does your gorgeous hubby. I missed this @ILikeShiny thanks for the redirect. Your dress is sooooo classsy.. and I am sooooooo happy for you. all my best for a future of happiness, joy and peace.

Kate

Kate, thank you so much! And didn't my guy look amazing? :love: I think my favorite part of the whole day was when I peeked around the corner to get a glimpse of him before I came out; I knew he'd be wearing an Italian/morning suit but didn't know anything about the colors of the vest, tie, and kerchief. When I saw him all dappered up my heart skipped more than a few beats!!! :mrgreen2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know msop, me too. I want to go back and relive that day... and those flowers... over and over again! I hypothetically may be looking in to having my bouquet recreated as an arrangement for a vase... ;)2

Between the photography, the dress, the flowers, and now THOSE RINGS!!!!... I can’t even decide which I’m more envious of — who am I kidding??... the bling always win with me! Just so lovely - EVERYTHING!! :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BUMP. :mrgreen2:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We were married in 2015. At the time I was fixated on keeping it low budget, and I think this had a large influence on the dress (it was the cheapest I saw at ~800 USD). I loved it though, which surprised me as I actually was envisioning something entirely different.

Funny story,: as I am expatriated, my passport is the only legal ID, which is recognized for serious stuff like getting married and registering the birth of my child. I was going to beijing the week after my wedding for work, so I dropped my passport in at the chinese embassy 3-4 days before the wedding -- just before the embassy shut for the week long annual chinese national holidays. By the time we realized what had happened there was no way to recover the passport, and both families had already flown in from overseas for the wedding. We ended up having to 'get married' twice in one week. Once for our families, and then once for legal purposes. 106.jpg 064.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were married in 2015. At the time I was fixated on keeping it low budget, and I think this had a large influence on the dress (it was the cheapest I saw at ~800 USD). I loved it though, which surprised me as I actually was envisioning something entirely different.

Funny story,: as I am expatriated, my passport is the only legal ID, which is recognized for serious stuff like getting married and registering the birth of my child. I was going to beijing the week after my wedding for work, so I dropped my passport in at the chinese embassy 3-4 days before the wedding -- just before the embassy shut for the week long annual chinese national holidays. By the time we realized what had happened there was no way to recover the passport, and both families had already flown in from overseas for the wedding. We ended up having to 'get married' twice in one week. Once for our families, and then once for legal purposes. 106.jpg 064.jpg

That is simply gorgeous!!! :love:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is simply gorgeous!!! :love:

Awe, thank you. You made my day =)2. I actually put a stupid amount of pressure on myself over engineering an ideal wedding with a minimal budget.

I was also living here all by myself, as my (now) husband lived overseas at the time and so did all my family. And for most of the time I spent planning we were under the impression that this was going to be the status quo even after the wedding. So I was crazy lonely throughout the lead up. I used to think something was wrong with me that I was so sad/lonely while planning a wedding. But now I just think all the expectations I had placed on myself (that I could plan it by myself a few 1000 km away from everyone, that I would be happy and not lonely when I was essentially using skype as a life line, that I would have no reservations converting a long distance relationship into a long distance marriage) were crazy from the get go :lol-2:.

Thankfully we managed to close the distance a few months after the wedding, but I remember my husband talking to his boss about it and his boss said something like 'I understand it's tough. My wife and I didnt live in the same place till we were 70..' they were both immensely successful people, but I remember thinking that is a long long time.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Pearaffair--you look marvelous!!!! Fun story!

cheers--Sharon

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
**edited at OP request**

This is perfect!! Our stories are very similar!! I want to have a vow renewal, and I’m seriously considering having it in NM, so my brother & his family can be there; they could not come to our ceremony, and I missed them. Hoping to do that in the next few years.
I love everything about your “small” wedding. We had 25 people, total: 19 guests + the wedding party.

Last edited by a moderator:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EFC05815-7D7F-4D76-837B-9758167D0473.jpeg My poor dress 38 years later.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is such an amazing thread!!! Everyone looks so beautiful!!!! I loved seeing all the beautiful snapshots in time. It is so fun to put a face to all of you wonderful ladies who are always so fun and helpful on these boards.... this is the only pic I can find and it doesn't show the dress very well! We were married back in 2001, and we were such babies!I seriously look like I was in High School. I had just turned 21 less than a month before we got married and my husband was still 21! We had been best of friends for all of our college years and then we got married at the end of our senior year of college. My dress was made of raw silk and we got an awesome deal bc it was the dress they used at a fashion show to display it and then they sold it super cheap...$199 or $299 I think...I had no idea how to apply makeup then and my hair was basically done in the bun that I wore when I played volleyball lol. I wore a brown MAC lipglass (gross) and purple eyeliner lol. I wish I could go back in time and style myself lol. I actually didn't even want to wear makeup in my wedding photo, because I rarely wore it at the time, but my mother-in-law convinced me to (thank God I listened to her lol). I was such a Tom Boy back then...I didn't even want a diamond (for real!) I had a $99 2 tone gold band and was thrilled with it lol. I still take it out to reminisce on occasion. I didn't want an e-ring bc I thought it was a waste of money. I specifically remember looking at a jewelry counter and asking the jeweler what the big deal was with diamonds because I just thought they were so overpriced and not very pretty. However, that's also because I had only seen included mall jewelry at that point...a few years later I saw a friends 1 carat, Internally Flawless, well cut diamond and my mind changed quickly....and since then..well, a lot has changed lol

We got married really young for our generation, but we had been best of friends for 3.5 years and didn't see any reason to wait. When you you know, you know....we have so many friends that are just now getting married and having kids at our age...it is fun to be all done and to have kids old enough that we can sleep in when we want and if we are tired they can get themselves food and even cook for us! lol
2001.jpg View attachment 644783

These are recent photos...17 years and 3 kids later...boy time flies
2017.jpg
2017 2.jpg

Attachments

• 2017 4.jpg
    2017 4.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were married back in 2001, and we were such babies!I seriously look like I was in High School. I had just turned 21 less than a month before we got married and my husband was still 21! We had been best of friends for all of our college years and then we got married at the end of our senior year of college.
...​
We got married really young for our generation, but we had been best of friends for 3.5 years and didn't see any reason to wait. When you you know, you know....we have so many friends that are just now getting married and having kids at our age...it is fun to be all done and to have kids old enough that we can sleep in when we want and if we are tired they can get themselves food and even cook for us! lol

I love your photos and story goldenfire. I started this thread and had made a point of reading and commenting on each posting up until I got overwhelmed with a new dog at home. I have always meant to return and catch up, so I now feel that commenting out of turn is "bad". But I have been following your thread about earrings in Rocky Talky, so when I saw this and learned more about you, I couldn't just wait! You were and are so beautiful. I cannot believe you have those tall children at your age!

Your wedding photo is exquisite! Your waist looks tiny and the dress hugs you so beautifully! you do not look like a tom boy!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such an amazing thread!!! Everyone looks so beautiful!!!! I loved seeing all the beautiful snapshots in time. It is so fun to put a face to all of you wonderful ladies who are always so fun and helpful on these boards.... this is the only pic I can find and it doesn't show the dress very well! We were married back in 2001, and we were such babies!I seriously look like I was in High School. I had just turned 21 less than a month before we got married and my husband was still 21! We had been best of friends for all of our college years and then we got married at the end of our senior year of college. My dress was made of raw silk and we got an awesome deal bc it was the dress they used at a fashion show to display it and then they sold it super cheap...$199 or $299 I think...I had no idea how to apply makeup then and my hair was basically done in the bun that I wore when I played volleyball lol. I wore a brown MAC lipglass (gross) and purple eyeliner lol. I wish I could go back in time and style myself lol. I actually didn't even want to wear makeup in my wedding photo, because I rarely wore it at the time, but my mother-in-law convinced me to (thank God I listened to her lol). I was such a Tom Boy back then...I didn't even want a diamond (for real!) I had a $99 2 tone gold band and was thrilled with it lol. I still take it out to reminisce on occasion. I didn't want an e-ring bc I thought it was a waste of money. I specifically remember looking at a jewelry counter and asking the jeweler what the big deal was with diamonds because I just thought they were so overpriced and not very pretty. However, that's also because I had only seen included mall jewelry at that point...a few years later I saw a friends 1 carat, Internally Flawless, well cut diamond and my mind changed quickly....and since then..well, a lot has changed lol

2001.jpg View attachment 644783

These are recent photos...17 years and 3 kids later...boy time flies
2017.jpg
2017 2.jpg

You are just adorable!! Such a great couple!! Blessings for a lifetime of happiness!!! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results