shape
carat
color
clarity

Compare Color of Two Different Cuts?

colavitasl

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I are currently working with a local jeweler and they have a 2 carat SI1 H color emerald out on memo for us. I saw it yesterday but I am hesitant because of the color and because it is EGL certified and not GIA or AGS. I asked my boyfriend to go back and ask to see the diamond again next to one of their other diamonds in stock that is D, E, F, or G and take a picture but they were persistent that it wouldn't work because they do not have another Emerald cut and you can only compare two similar cuts to get an idea for the color. Is this true?

I know taking the picture isn't the problem because they offered to let me take pictures of it yesterday. And I know that they have D E and F stones in stock so that shouldn't be the issue but their reason sounds odd to me.

Thank you!!

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say this sounds a little off to me. I understand them saying that different cuts "look" different, but if you are trying to compare color so you can see what you like or what is pleasing to your eye they should have shown you something. As for the EGL it is probably really a lower color stone if your were to compare it to a GIA colored H. Have you reached out to any online dealers to look for a stone? Good Old Gold is great for looking for great emerald cut stones and as a plus they do videos to compare stones if you are not close to them to actually go into their store.

Hope this helps
:bigsmile:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do you want to compare the colour? I assume this is because it bothers you - you are probably seeing tint. Likely because, as pp pointed out EGL H will probably be lower than GIA H.

However, on the jewellers side - it seems very odd that they won't 'let you' compare colours. Even if you can't tell body colour, they should still let you look and compare? If you really want to use these people (which I'm a bit suspicious of already...), I'd say something like you aren't sold on an emerald, so want to see an equivalent MRB or something. If you really want to look at the colour, flip them over. It shouldn't matter *as* much with the cut, but you will be able to see the tint how GIA would grade them. Keep in mind that face down, they will look much more tinted than face up - so you will not actually see the full amount of tint when set.

colavitasl

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies!!

I have been looking at online vendors but my boyfriend wanted to see something in person if he is going to spend that much money.

I noticed a tint as soon as it was pulled out and then when I saw the EGL I figured it might not really be an H.

In my boyfriend's words, 'they were persistent' that he cannot judge it with another stone. Unfortunately I don't think I can pull off telling them that I'm not sold on an emerald cut - I went in there two weeks ago specifically asking for emerald cuts. I also found it odd that she initially told me they are only allowed to take out two diamonds at a time on memo so I can only compare two loose stones. The first round I wasn't wowed by either of them so she said she would send one off and get a new one in for me to see. It took about a week for a new one to get in but when I went in she still had the other stone that I didn't like - so that makes three stones out for that store. Am I being jerked around?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you're being jerked around, but I personally might find someone else to do business with. Even just reading it feels a bit..off..you know? No idea how they are in person though. Are they very small? I might understand if they were the tiniest mom & pop store who couldn't afford to have a large inventory, but still, I think you'd need more than 3 stones at a time to sell anything??

But even just selling EGL stones is a bit of a red flag IMO. Proceed with caution!

colavitasl

Rough_Rock
Thank you telephone!

The store is very small - they only have a handful of rings to choose from but they are super nice and will special order anything. The lady I'm working with is great but admittedly unfamiliar with diamonds - she didn't understand that I prefer a ratio of 1.4-1.6 for emeralds. Still not a deal breaker because she was very excited to work with us but it makes it difficult to explain what I want.

I think the next round will be make or break on whether we continue working with them or not. Thank you again for your replies!!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI colavitasl,
The main issue with EGL reports from my perspective as a seller, is one of accurate and honest representation.
Anyone in the business knows that any cutter or dealer will assume any diamond graded H by EGL is at best an I- but it could be as low as M
IMO, a seller that understands the diamond business will explain the grading of EGL and how it affects prices if they want to run a transparent and honest business.

It is difficult to gauge color from a picture- and having two different cuts does add to that complexity- however that's really not the issue in this case.
Although it's not ideal, one could indeed use a different cut to illustrate a color difference- the color is graded with a diamond laying face down- so the different cut makes a bit less of a difference.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
colavitasl|1442610022|3929335 said:
Thank you telephone!

The store is very small - they only have a handful of rings to choose from but they are super nice and will special order anything. The lady I'm working with is great but admittedly unfamiliar with diamonds - she didn't understand that I prefer a ratio of 1.4-1.6 for emeralds. Still not a deal breaker because she was very excited to work with us but it makes it difficult to explain what I want.

I think the next round will be make or break on whether we continue working with them or not. Thank you again for your replies!!!
It's honorable that you want to do business with this merchant because they are nice and helpful. So make a point to buy a pretty piece of jewelry from them now or in the future to reward them for their efforts. But for a significant certified diamond purchase, you absolutely need to be dealing with an expert!

As others have pointed out, your best protection is to insist on a GIA report. There is a reason that this diamond is not being offered with a report from GIA. The problem is, even if you love the stone you will not know the right price for it because you don't know the actual grade.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results