shape
carat
color
clarity

Commotion at Costco!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Sheesh! I can''t take this woman anywhere!!!! Cflutist caused a commotion at Costco today....
emotion-41.gif
emembarrassed.gif
face7.gif

Not that she meant to... We were in the checkout line and she was swiping her card thru the machine when the guy
emmale.gif
doing the bagging noticed her ring. He told the gal
emfemale.gif
at the cash register - "You have to see her ring!" - and reached for cflutist''s hand to show her.

Now you have to understand, cflutist had her hand down below the top counter, where the credit card machine was, it wasn''t out in the open, so how this guy saw it (do guys even look at diamond rings????) I don''t know!

So the gal stops checking and asks politely to see cflutist ring and raises her hand up to the light. (Costco does have great lighting and it makes diamonds really sparkle).
emidea.gif
Both checkers are saying "Oh, how beautiful", when the lady in line behind us steps up and asks to see it also saying she was admiring it while waiting.

So then the checker says she just got a ring and pulls off her glove to show us - it was a nice what I call combination ring - a RB in the center (probably about 1 ct), flanked by 2 marquise, and then by two baguettes. So everybody looks at her ring for a bit and tells her how nice it is.

Then they all go back to checking out cflutist''s ring cause now it is flashing like crazy in the full light.....the usual - what size is it, how do you keep it so clean, etc.

Meanwhile, I''m dying, as the line, which has come to a complete halt
face7.gif
in regards to getting checked out, is all the way back to the merchandise and people are wondering what''s going on up front.....
emquestion.gif

emotion-33.gif
emotion-33.gif
emotion-33.gif
I think next time I''m going to get pizza while she gets checked out (one way or the other!)

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Ha, that''s funny......can''t take here anywhere huh?
9.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
it is funny that you mention that websailor. I am not at all surprised by the reaction to clfutist''s gorgeous pear! However, it is the first time that i''ve heard of a man noticing a ring and saying something about it. It truly must be something else!!

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2005 7
6.gif
6.gif
4 AM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds
it is funny that you mention that websailor. I am not at all surprised by the reaction to clfutist''s gorgeous pear! However, it is the first time that i''ve heard of a man noticing a ring and saying something about it. It truly must be something else!!

lol! Yea seriously! Watches , I can understand. But jewelry? That''s like the ultimate compliment!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was embarassing for me at Costco yesterday.
emembarrassed.gif

I am normally pretty discreet with my e-ring. In fact, my left hand was down at my side,
while my right hand was swiping my ATM Card through the reader and keying in the PIN.
At first I thought they were fussing about my bracelet
emquestion.gif

Was just wondering, what about all you women with RB H&As Ideally cut stones? You must
get compliments all the time. Light return on a pear is no where near a RB.
Could it be the F in color? It does look very white under those metal halide lights of theirs.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Was just wondering, what about all you women with RB H&As Ideally cut stones? You must

cflutist

cflutist, I think the attention to your pear is partly because of the light return and partly because it''s the size of Texas.
2.gif

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have a RB H&A, just a big marquise, but I get questions and compliments all the time. Just yesterday I was at the maul getting some of my gemstone jewlery cleaned and bi-annually inspected. Every jewelry store I went into (3 different ones) all the employees had to come ooh and ahh over it.

It used to be embarrassing but now I sort of enjoy it. My ''favorite'' comment is "someone must love you a whole lot", as if the size of your diamond equates the amount of love from your husband/fiance. I just smile at them and don''t say anything.
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey websailer if you get her that 7ct+ ACA for a rhr you would have time to not only get the pizza but to eat it too!

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
A similar thing happened at my Costco about 6 months ago. The male checker commented on how big and beautiful my ring was. (I was wearing my asscher, which is 1.77ct, at the time.) Personally, I don''t think it looks big at all, and think of all my rings, it is probably the least "flashy". I was quite surprised....I didn''t know men even looked!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2005 11:34:38 AM
Author: Patty

cflutist

Cflutist: I get at least one compliment a day on my RB and on my setting. Sometimes it is a little overwhelming. Because one woman notices it and then calls her girlfriends or others over to see it.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2005 11:16:45 AM
Author: Was just wondering, what about all you women with RB H&As Ideally cut stones? You mustget compliments all the time. Light return on a pear is no where near a RB.

My fiancee gets compliments on its size. Very frustrating for me since I spent so much time looking for an ideal cut diamond that also had the other specs I wanted. Luckily, she loves how sparkly it is and was glad I gave up size for the cut. Still, the rest of teh world out there seems infatuated with size and nothing else. Gets frustrating cuz I know I coulda bought her a monster if I dropped all the other specs since her ring isn''t all that big. I like to think they noticed teh ring in the first place b/c of how sparkly it is.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Codex,
I''m glad you chose cut over size. No matter what the size is, if the cut isn''t there you just have an ordinary diamond with no life and no sparkle. I''m sure everyone notices her ring because of the ideal cut, it''s way more pretty than most of the diamonds out there.

SweetPink

Rough_Rock
Well of course they noticed the ring..it''s breathtaking.
Just to let you know....I noticed an awesome amount of light return on your pear shaped stone, in those outside pics..you posted a while ago. And the stone is really big and beautiful....Don''t feel embarrassed, Cflutist, just look at it as a confirmation of what exquisite taste you have
1.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2005 2:37
6.gif
3 PM
Author: kaleigh
Codex,

I'm glad you chose cut over size. No matter what the size is, if the cut isn't there you just have an ordinary diamond with no life and no sparkle. I'm sure everyone notices her ring because of the ideal cut, it's way more pretty than most of the diamonds out there.

I hope so. Hearing stuff like that makes me feel better. Thanks. As I was heading down teh elevator after just getting the stone from the jeweler, I was standing next to a couple who had also just bought a stone. Cept hers was a 2.0+ carat monster. The ring I was holding suddenly started to sound really small until I saw it and heard her discuss the specs. It was a J color SI clarity for an incredibly cheap price. It was pretty dull looking too. That tells me it's a pretty bad cut, but everyone else in the elevator was oohing and ahhing over the sheer size of that thing.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Codex,
I''d rather have a spec that was well cut that some monster rock that had no life to it at all!!
3.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2005 3:44:56 PM
Author: SweetPink
Well of course they noticed the ring..it''s breathtaking.
Just to let you know....I noticed an awesome amount of light return on your pear shaped stone, in those outside pics..you posted a while ago. And the stone is really big and beautiful....Don''t feel embarrassed, Cflutist, just look at it as a confirmation of what exquisite taste you have
1.gif
Well thanks SweetPink. That was very sweet of you. Where has your hubbie been? Haven''t seen posts from him for a while.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky you! The only time I get compliments on my RB is when I'm out of state or in a jewelry store. I think it's because anything over a 1/2 carat around here is deemed fake by the locals, lol.
14.gif
It's sad, really. Perfect example..my rb sparkles like MAD but on my right hand I wear a platinum plated, CZ pave'd ring that looks very estatish (I bought it at the beach at a store called "Impressions" that makes repros of Harry Winston and the like). I get more compliments on those little CZ chips than I do my REAL diamond...what's up with that?! It out-sparkles that fake by a mile!
6.gif
I guess they are more inclined to think it's real because of the size of the tiny stones than they are with a hunk of rock that size. Maybe we should move
9.gif
Of course on a brighter note...the fake would probably be more likely to be stolen than my ering
37.gif
. hehe

Edit: I blame it all on Avon for selling those $19.00 SS, CZ solitaires
38.gif
Avon around here is like crack, lol. That's probably where they think I got it...that or Belk. One woman actually stopped me in Belk one day and pointed to my hand and said, 'It's amazing how much those $30.00 rings of theirs sparkle..you'd never know they weren't real!'.
29.gif
I had to correct her of her mistake. I hope she felt dumb.

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2005 11:34:38 AM
Author: Patty

cflutist

cflutist, I think the attention to your pear is partly because of the light return and partly because it''s the size of Texas.
2.gif

DUH! Is a 3c stone ever really discreet?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
yup--no surprise. A 3 ct ideal pear? Your lucky their eyes didn''t explode!
30.gif
10.gif
9.gif

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
seriously, my mom has a 3c RB and even if she''s dressed down with her arms at her side I can still see women doing that looking, but trying not to look like their looking thing at her ring.

and in all honesty, i find this thread mildly annoying.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 5:46
6.gif
4 PM
Author: twinkletoes
seriously, my mom has a 3c RB and even if she's dressed down with her arms at her side I can still see women doing that looking, but trying not to look like their looking thing at her ring.

and in all honesty, i find this thread mildly annoying.
Why is that?

Edited to add - long lines at Costco are always annoying and this didn't help. That annoyance I can fully understand if you were in line behind such a situation.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Cost Cos and Sams have a lot of younger employees working the cashier line, so im sure they dream of when they are married to have a ring like your wifes!
21.gif

As for ppl being annoyed, its because they are jealous they can''t have the beautiful, amazingly gorgeous 3 carat pear!
30.gif

Have a nice evening,

Lori-yellowfan

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto what yellowfan/Lori said!!!

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
well, it mildly annoying because i find that you guys like to toot each other''s horns. a lot. LOL *toot toot!*

and most of the time i think it''s sweet and fun, but I mean to "complain" oh my god i can''t take my wife anywhere w/o her causing a commotion with her huge rock. and her response of "now, why would my ring cause such a commotion? is it cause it''s an f color?" as if people can tell diamond color under warehouse lighting? i mean, really... DUH. it''s screaming "tell me how great my ring is" because I like to pretend it''s no big deal. if you guys want to brag... brag! everyone has the right to do it here! i mean, the show your ring forum is all about bragging rights and showing off. all i''m saying is to own it. no fishing for compliments or hiding it under false pretenses.

own it and do the proud *snap snap* of those who have it, and know it! have you seen that one trannie episode of satc? trannies: *snap snap* girl, those shoes are hot! sam: don''t i know it *snap snap*

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t read the posts if the title of the thread annoys you.

I happen to know CFlutist and her husband Websailor are genuinely nice, kind hearted folks. They have class and don''t need to "fish" for compliments. They go fishing to have fun.. "DUH".

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
6.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Twinkletoes,

Thanks for your comments. Of course we toot each other- if fact, if Leonid put a toot-toot smiley up, I'd use it a lot!
emteeth.gif
The fact is, I just love
emlove.gif
kidding cflutist, and she holds her own with me.
emhug.gif
emhug2.gif
She was really embarrassed about Costco - that combination of "Gee, they noticed my ring, blush, blush, and they noticed my ring, how do I get away" type feeling. So when I kidded her about it in the car, and she said "Don't you dare post that!!!", well the die was cast! Who can ignore a challenge like that??!!!

Cflutist, while she really enjoys her ring, is very down to earth about it. She knows her jewelry, she knows what she has, and she takes great personal pleasure in wearing it. Most of the time, she just wears it and has no idea about how it is noticed by anyone around her. I don't have the words to express this well, but she just plain enjoys a nice diamond.

I, on the other hand, enjoy watching people. I always have fun when I'm out and about.

So this topic was all about us (cflutist and I along with the PS community) having fun in our slightly different ways. I don't think we were fishing for compliments - and if it seemed like we were trying to be subtle or hiding it, well I think you're giving me more credit than I'm capable of!

Bragging
emsmileo.gif
- heck yes, and darn proud of it too! That's one thing I love about PS - the one and only place I know where shameless bragging is not only ok, but actually encouraged and supported. I love the fact that people can show off their rings, their toys, sometimes their hubbies, and otherwise give us some small glimpses into their inner joy.

Your last paragraph, I'm uuummmm embarrassed to say I have no clue what the reference is to??? What is a trannie? What is satc? LOL, I think we might have hit a multi generation gap here!!!
emembarrassed.gif

Cflutist says I should talk about the metal halide light
emhot.gif
thing (boring!). Anyway, the Metal Halide lighting in Costco is about equivalent to a jewelry store - the lights they use are particularly white in color compared to other types of lighting (I used to do work related to all this, so I know a bit about it). It will make even ordinary diamonds sparkle and shine. It will enhance the differences in color, just as you would see those differences in a B&M if you were looking at the ranges of colors. With the education most PS people have, they will instinctively have a feel for say, an H color looking different from an L color.
emhot.gif

Anyway, sorry this annoyed you!
face24.gif
PS is meant to be educational and fun!

Edited to add - Oohhh Leonid - can I get a toot-toot smiley, ppppllllleeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssseeeeeee!
9.gif

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
i thought the title of the thread was going to tell a story of an actual commotion at costco. like something happened and cflutist put someone in their place or their jewelry dept ran false ads & websailer had to say something to management and voices were raised or the like.

i know they''re good, nice people who have a great relationship! i read their posts too. i just felt that it wasn''t really a big deal and to me (maybe no one else) it seemed kind of false. i guess fishing for compliments wasn''t really the right term, but wouldn''t anyone here gawk at a big rock? i know if i had a 3c ring and someone asked to see it and oohed and ahhed over it i wouldn''t assume it was over the color. cflutist has quite the blinger and i''m sure a lot of people stare. my mom upgraded her .75 for a 3c and people stare and ask to see it and make a fuss and it just comes with the territory. and how many threads do we have here on PS saying the majority of people can''t tell color differences in stones w/o a side by side comparison?

i was trying to think of another way of explaining it, but i was late for my appt at the gym and had to hurry out. but say i had a ferarri and drove it around and one day someone at the gas station came over and made a fuss about my car. and then i go tell everyone how embarrassed i was and how it caused a commotion and oh my god, i was mortified and i tell them i think it''s because of the paint job. I know my friends would roll their eyes and think, "um, ok... whatever" and be somewhat annoyed. it''s a ferarri! that was just my take on it anyway. i''m just saying it comes with the territory and as owners of big bling they should own it *snap snap*.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
10.gif

In the diamond hangout I like to read ALL of the fun threads about everything under the sun (and especially the bling under the sun). I only hope I''m lucky enough to someday have the collection of bling and class and fun and LIFE that websailor and cflutist have each day. They are the perfect PS couple.

I also love to read different perspectives like the one Twinkle offers. Yes, it could appear like braggin'' on Cflutist''s ring, but those of us who know them know how WS loves to talk about the great gal he landed. And yes, Twinkletoes, I admit, I got reeled in by the subject line too. I was expecting something scandalous (fade in Mis-teeq lyrics!)... I was pleasantly surprised to read the fun and funny story...and it''s pretty darn funny the way WS tell it.

Twinkle...maybe we should all storm the Ferarri forum and see what''s cooking
2.gif
Maybe gas station stories abound, LOL. As for tooting, you already nailed it: This is indeed the place for us to gather and tell such stories.

Cheers to more *snap snap* stories and cheers to the diversity of replies that make this place so entertaining.

(All right... Back to my patterning crusade...)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results