shape
carat
color
clarity

Common Appraisal Practice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bmac

Rough_Rock
Is it common practice for local retailers to allow you to send a stone that you are possibly going to purchase to an appraiser (such as David Atlas), and allow you to make a decision after the appraisal.

The reason I'm asking, is that I have narrowed my diamond search down to three stones. Two that I've found online (have not seen them), and one that I have found locally (have seen it). And since I've come to the conclusion that I effectively lack any ability to evaluate stones, I'd like a professional to do it for me. So, ideally, I'd like to send all three stones to the appraiser, see what he/she has to say about them, and then make my decision. Is this possible? Or will I have trouble having the online or local retailer sending the stone(s) without any guarantee of a purchase. I'm assuming I will pay the appraisal fee.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
No it's not a common practice. Normally you have to buy a stone and use your “money back” period for inspection.

There are some vendors who'll do that but only if they know the appraiser and confident in his/her professionalism and unbiased position.

There is nothing wrong in asking your vendor though.

bmac

Rough_Rock
So, is there anyway get a good comparison of these three stones? The online store said that they would send the two stones to David Atlas, no problems, then I can choose one. But, I'd like to get the third stone from the local store to him also, then get an evaluation of all three to make a final decision.

Do I have to purchase the stone from the local store (assuming he has a return policy)? And am I required to purchase one of the two stones from the online vendor if they send them to the appraiser? I guess I'm asking, will I have to front the money for atleast two stones (if not three) in order to get a good comparison of all three? And then if I return the stones, is there ussually aa restocking fee?

I know I probably have to ask the vendors themselves, which I will later today, but I'm curious if anyone has gone through something like this, or knows anything about what my options are. Thanks for any advice.....

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Did you already discussed it with David? Maybe he can help you and speak to your jeweler?

Are you going to pay for evaluation and perhaps shipping of these three stones?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a B&M retailer I would be offended, but as an e-tailer I would think it normal and common practice to ship to a vendor like Dave and have you pay only if Dave authorised one of the stones.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You might find a retailer willing to send a stone to us for an advance appraisal because I have a reasonably well known situation with many people. Ordinarily the retailer would take some offense as Garry said, but it is a fruitless anger that will prevent a sale from happening. You'll simply buy one of the Internet stones.

We certainly want to assure B&M vendors that we are not retail sellers of diamonds, and mountings. We are not a competitor for their customer and I know that does greatly concern store owners.

How does the retailer's deal stack up with the I'net deals? Are the stones comparable or very different?

marqlvr

Rough_Rock
If the buyer is using the same Internet store to do the mounting, do you recommend that the stone still be shipped to the buyer to inspect before mounting?

buttercup

Rough_Rock
marquiselover-
just so you know, dave is on vaca for a couple of days. don't be mad at him if he doesn't write you back right away.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results