shape
carat
color
clarity

commercial cut grade diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I have asked many questions about diamond culets and am back to that again. I notice that all the commercial grade ones I have seen seem to have a round white dot where the culet should be. I have 2 old diamonds and in the chain stores I have looked at 7 diamonds now and they all have it. Under a loupe it looks like lines going across the culet area and some seem to have a small clear pinpoint there also. Is this just normal for lower grade diamonds or are they abraded culets. It seems kinda strange that they all have this if it is abraded. I wondered if maybe the cutters did not spend the time on the stones as they were not superideal cuts.

Has anyone on the board noticed this who has an old small diamond they bought years ago. Can any of the experts or chain store managers comment here also.

barry

Shiny_Rock
You're probably looking at natural unpolished diamond.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think in commercial grade diamonds they do not bother to polish the facet on the bottom then Barry? I thought about going into the store to ask if the diamonds all had abraded culets but feel a bit silly doing that. Anyway the shop assistant probably would not know what I was talking about.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Sometimes. If their culets are abraded,
there are probably other shortcomings as well;
i.e,; irregular and misshapen facets, mediocre
polish. Have a good look.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you again Barry. So are you saying the natural unpolished diamond was once polished and is now abraded

barry

Shiny_Rock
Not necessarily. I'm suggesting that it may never have been polished
since you mention that many stones in the parcel have the same look.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes the stones were all in the same store and also the two which I have from different jewellers have the same look. Is it because they are lower grade that they don't bother to polish the culet?

barry

Shiny_Rock
Not only lower grade, but also origin of cutting.
Based on your description, I would say that it
may very well be Indian cut goods of several years ago.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Barry. Ofcourse, I do not know when the stones were cut but some of them are set in this season's ring designs. This is in a large national chain in the United Kingdom so I would think their stones are not that old. The stones I own are about 10 years old.

Can the cutters not learn how to polish the culet facets on the diamonds? One of the vendors here said that the owner may have requested that naturals be left on the stones but there were no naturals l could find on the girdles.

As I said in another post it seems silly to leave the culet showing like that through the table.

barry

Shiny_Rock
I hear you, Pyramid; indeed it may sound silly
to the ears of a consumer but to a diamond manufacturer
the sound is one of Ching-a-Ling, Ching-a-Ling...
lost cash by losing a "size" and reduced price-point
by polishing the culet. Leaving the culet slightly open
instead of polishing the eight
Pavillion main facets to a pointy closure may save
1-2 points, sufficient to bring the size down,for example
from a 1-carat to a .98 ct; a significant price difference.
This has nothing to do with today's jewelry styles.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the sound is one of Ching-a-Ling, Ching-a-Ling...

Thank you Barry, I see what you mean.

Do you know if Super Ideal Diamonds (not just your brand) would have no inclusions in the culet area or could there by inclusions there as they can be anywhere else in the diamond?

barry

Shiny_Rock
Inclusions at or around the culet and
adjacent pavillion mains will tend to
egregiously reflect and make it a bad-looking
SI. Our rough is oriented so that inclusions
are situated either off the center-middle
and towards the periphery,
rendering our SuperbCert totally eye-clean.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Barry. When a diamondcutter is trying to save weight from 0.98 carat to 1 carat how does he know. Is there a weighing device on the lap which tells him weight or does he have to keep weighing the stone or is this all decided before he starts to cut the stone?

barry

Shiny_Rock
Keeps on weighing.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results