shape
carat
color
clarity

Comments on this radiant cut stone please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyDog

Rough_Rock
Specs:

1.74 ct radiant
H color, SI2, no fluor, cut quality excellent
8.25 x 6.04 x 3.99 - L x W ratio 1.37
Depth 66.1, Table 69
Girdle - thick/very thick
Culet - none
Polish/symmetry - VG/VG
GIA cert

The color and clarity are lower than I was considering but the the carat weight makes me very tempted to drop down the scale. I also had in my head a 6.0 x 8.0 "dream size" ever since I saw it in a solitaire once before. Assuming eye clean, how do the other specs look?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very difficult to judge a Radiant by the numbers, if it was me, I would request photos of the diamond, an ASET image and an Idealscope if one is available. Make very sure that you and the vendor are on the same page where eyecleanliness is concerned, this doesn''t always mean clean to the eye with very close scrutiny, so make sure the vendor understands your expectations. Also an H colour is the cut off point colourwise with Radiants for some, as they show colour more than some other shapes. This is the reason that many fancy colour diamonds are cut into this shape. Lastly, make sure the vendor has a good return policy in case you don''t like the diamond. I take it that this diamond is with an online vendor?

fullojoy

Rough_Rock
I have an I colored radiant, and it is white as can be. The l/w ratio is very signigicant on this stone. It will be long and narrow. Just make sure this is the "shape" you want.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2007 9:03:20 AM
Author: fullojoy
I have an I colored radiant, and it is white as can be. The l/w ratio is very signigicant on this stone. It will be long and narrow. Just make sure this is the 'shape' you want.
You can get an idea of how this diamond may look with this tool shape selector , there seem to be quite a few out there and in SMTR of a similar shape and LW ratio, so they do have their fans. I think photos would be very useful to you to get an idea of how this diamond looks with the faceting pattern, whether it has the crushed ice look or not, or if you even want that look. However the colour is something you need to see for yourself, Radiants are thought to show colour more readily than other shapes - an H may well be fine for you as colour perception varies from individuals, but some find an H and above slightly warmer than they prefer, so make sure your vendor has a good return policy in case you need it. Also a vendor can give you an idea if this is a high H ( faces up more like a G) or a low H etc, also on the odd occasion a diamond may not have a warm tint but more of a silver or grey / other tint which is slight, but may help a lower colour look more colourless. But go by your own eyes in the end.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It could be a nice stone, but we really need some images of the stone to make any further comments. As others have said, this is a tall and skinny stone. As long as you like the look that''s great, but not everyone does. I happen to love skinny radiants!! They look great with split shanks!

MonkeyDog

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your comments. Yes, this is from an online vendor and they do have an inspection/return policy. I do like the "long and skinny" look of the stone especially in 6x8 proportions. A very good point though about how the facets will look in these dimensions. That is something that I am struggling with. I love the online vendors that have actual images of the stone...unfortunately this isn''t one of them.

I wasn''t quite ready to buy a stone yet since I am still thinking about an asscher cut but for the carat size and price this one seemed almost too good too wait on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results