shape
carat
color
clarity

Comments on this Idealscope image

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dfb

Rough_Rock
I am not very good at reading this sort of thing - what can you tell me about this one - thanks again for the help

idealscopedfb.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi d,

It's not bad. Not what I'd call excellent, but not the worst by far. A little leaky (3 white areas inbetween arrows under the table at the bottom), but I can't say it would be enough to notice with the naked eye. I would ask GOG about it, could be a real pretty diamond!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A tiny tiny bit of leakage under the table, but nothing that would personally stop me from buying the stone. Overall I''d say very good.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/27/2007 1:13:30 PM
Author: Ellen
Hi d,

It''s not bad. Not what I''d call excellent, but not the worst by far. A little leaky (3 white areas inbetween arrows under the table at the bottom), but I can''t say it would be enough to notice with the naked eye. I would ask GOG about it, could be a real pretty diamond!
Ideal-scopes exaggerate leakage and that shade of pale area would mean that the stone is returning around 70% of the light.
It is rare for any part of a diamond to return more than 90%, so those areas would definetly be very bright if they were capturing a light source and the return to your eye would not be noticely less sparkly

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 9:06:12 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Ideal-scopes exaggerate leakage and that shade of pale area would mean that the stone is returning around 70% of the light.
It is rare for any part of a diamond to return more than 90%, so those areas would definetly be very bright if they were capturing a light source and the return to your eye would not be noticely less sparkly
Gary, thanks for the info!

Question, if and when it''s not capturing a bright light source, would it be noticable then? as in darker/dead?

Also, would it be possible for you to post an IS image that shows just how "leaky" a stone can be, but still perform very well?

TIA

mikey0357

Rough_Rock
Hi Ellen, here's another twist on an Idealscope image although this might be comparing apples to oranges.....Round vs Princess cut....but it does point out that just relying on only one technology doesn't always give you a bright looking stone.

Here is an image of my 1.1 princess cut that I purchased about 2 weeks ago. It is AGS 000...but as you can see, even with a great cut, the Idealscope shows it to have plenty of leaks which should theoretically detract significantly from light return if your going strictly by the image.

But as you can see from the Gemex Testing on my stone...this turns out to be a pretty good looking stone despite the "leaky" Ideal-Scope image.

http://www.gemex.com/livereport/partnerlink.php?linkid=1&pid=110jvs1ja07prin&cid=14&viewid=1&popup=y

Color wasn't really a factor in my puchase, the diamond is a J color and its going in a man's ring. Yes, I was looking for a bargain! When I took it to 4 different places to look at their rings, 2 thought it was an I color till I showed them the paper work and 2 got it right.

Actually I've noticed while I was shopping for a diamond that many stones with a superior looking Idealscope image did not test as well on the Brilliancescope as the image would have you believe. I think a little leakage is needed in key areas is okay to show contrast next to the dark black lines(facets), but their is a fine line/balance to watch out for as well, but this maybe because I was looking at princess cuts vs H&A rounds.

Although, I did encounter one other AGS 000 princess cut (G color) at another vendor way out of my price range that had a pure red image with very dark black facet lines for a princess.....perfect Idealscope(no pink or white leakage at all) and slightly higher on the Brilliancescope White Light with identical Color Light and Scintillation Scores. But for almost 3 times the amount that I payed for mine and only slightly larger (1.3 ct), I would expect it to have tested as well as it did. I used it as a target of what a perfect stone should look like and came as close as possible in my eyes without going over my budget.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mikey that is a pretty darn good ideal-scope image for a non round - and the edge of stone light return is exceptional.

But really you should use an ASET for non round stones.

mikey0357

Rough_Rock

Thanks for helping put the image up!

Thanks Garry H, I''m learning.....but shopping for that stone was pretty fun. I learned alot and I''m satisfied with this purchase the first time out. The next time, it should be alot easier.

I''ve seen the ASET....thought it was more for the colored stones, but now since you mentioned it, I think I''m gonna purchase one real soon anyway.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
mikey, thanks for your post, and congrats on your stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results