color
clarity

Comments on 1.61 I VS1 round

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
D_|1433549083|3885789 said:
pfunk|1433525644|3885647 said:
The OP may very well be halting the purchase on a diamond that they would have loved, and will go on to spend more more or sacrifice elsewhere else in order to get something "better". At least they will end up with a stone that most folks will find attractive.

Well, OP came here to get opinions on his chosen diamond.
It's ultimately his decision what to do after reading our opinions.
Let's say he never posted here, bought the diamond and loves it.
And one day someone blurted out or he heard/discovered somehow somewhere about these details. Will he just brush it off and say "meh, so what? We love it and that's all that matters"? If not, he may not be in a good position since by then they may be "stuck" with that diamond. Granted it can be more of a mind thing than a noticeable performance issue, but it may still bother him.

And I agree, OP's girlfriend/fiancee may not really care about any of that and will love whatever he gives her because it's from him, especially if she learns about his dedication and commitment through the amount of time and effort he puts in finding the ideal diamond. We need to remember though even if we say it's all about the woman, what she likes etc. that's not 100% true. As the one buying it and coughing up the dough, just like any other purchases, we want to make sure that the money is well spent, regardless of budget. I'm guessing OP wants something better than a diamond that is just "not a detrimental horror".

Good luck, OP.

I agree with this, and I hope he ends up with a great diamond at a price he is comfortable with and finds the buying process less stressful and more enjoyable. I am quite sure he wants something that isn't a detrimental horror, and the point I was trying to make was that some like the look of the diamonds with the "ring of death" leakage that is very much so frowned upon by most here. OP, please come back with the stones you set your sights on now that you have an idea of what the more "ideal" stones look like and how they are proportioned. I'd also recommend some in person viewing to help give you an idea of what your eyes like. Good luck!

runandjump

Rough_Rock
pfunk|1433608517|3885976 said:
D_|1433549083|3885789 said:
pfunk|1433525644|3885647 said:
The OP may very well be halting the purchase on a diamond that they would have loved, and will go on to spend more more or sacrifice elsewhere else in order to get something "better". At least they will end up with a stone that most folks will find attractive.

Well, OP came here to get opinions on his chosen diamond.
It's ultimately his decision what to do after reading our opinions.
Let's say he never posted here, bought the diamond and loves it.
And one day someone blurted out or he heard/discovered somehow somewhere about these details. Will he just brush it off and say "meh, so what? We love it and that's all that matters"? If not, he may not be in a good position since by then they may be "stuck" with that diamond. Granted it can be more of a mind thing than a noticeable performance issue, but it may still bother him.

And I agree, OP's girlfriend/fiancee may not really care about any of that and will love whatever he gives her because it's from him, especially if she learns about his dedication and commitment through the amount of time and effort he puts in finding the ideal diamond. We need to remember though even if we say it's all about the woman, what she likes etc. that's not 100% true. As the one buying it and coughing up the dough, just like any other purchases, we want to make sure that the money is well spent, regardless of budget. I'm guessing OP wants something better than a diamond that is just "not a detrimental horror".

Good luck, OP.

I agree with this, and I hope he ends up with a great diamond at a price he is comfortable with and finds the buying process less stressful and more enjoyable. I am quite sure he wants something that isn't a detrimental horror, and the point I was trying to make was that some like the look of the diamonds with the "ring of death" leakage that is very much so frowned upon by most here. OP, please come back with the stones you set your sights on now that you have an idea of what the more "ideal" stones look like and how they are proportioned. I'd also recommend some in person viewing to help give you an idea of what your eyes like. Good luck!

Thanks, everyone. G/f and I discussed further this past weekend and she still prefers size over having the perfect light performance. I am still looking at cushion cuts and Enchanted Diamonds recommended this one: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C171-1QZQ6E

What do you think?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she prefers size most of all, cushions are the wrong direction to go in, because they are usually deeper and face up smaller for their weight than well cut rounds.

What people do not seem to understand is that poorly cut stones often look smaller than well cut ones because they may be deep and have a smaller diameter, or they may not have edge-to-edge brightness and look smaller due to that.

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock
Though fancier cut diamonds are cheaper than RB (from my understanding) and therefore you can get more CT for the dollar, I'd also recommend looking into round diamonds and a setting with a cushion style halo which would give the ring a cushion cut look while maintaining the brilliance, etc of a round. Just something to consider.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with DS and IxAsTrOxI. Look at the dimensions as opposed to the carat weight. Adding a halo is a good way to add extra finger coverage to the ring.

runandjump

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I think I have narrowed it down to two options:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Round/GIA-Certified-1-61-Carat-I-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-HRKWFU
1.61 I VS2
7.54mm x 7.51mm x 4.62 mm
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 58.0%
Crown Angle: 35.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Medium - Slightly Thick Girdle
No Fluorescence
HCA: 1.4
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 75%
$9,780

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.56-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-507462
1.56 I VS1
7.54mm x 7.52 mm x 4.52 mm
Depth: 60.0%
Table: 59.0%
Crown Angle: 33.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Medium Girdle
Strong Fluorescence
HCA: 1.2
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
No ASET or Idealscope available (confirmed with JA)
$10,050

Thoughts?

runandjump

Rough_Rock
Nevermind, the 1.56 has been sold. Looks like I'm going to order the 1.61 and see how it looks. Will report back in a few days.

runandjump

Rough_Rock
Diamond shipped today. Will post pics when it arrives tomorrow!

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing it and hearing your thoughts.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
I much preferred the first stone anyway and a tad less than the b other one that was a 60/ 60 style. I'm guessing it'll be gorgeous. Come back with lots of pics!

runandjump

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I am at work right now and the camera on my phone sucks, so this one image doesn't do it justice. I will post more pics later on in different lighting (this was in my office), but it looks great in person!

20150616_095001.jpg

runandjump

Rough_Rock
Sorry, digital camera is having focus problems and I can't seem to get any decent shots. Any tips for how to do that? In the meantime, I've attached one more crappy shot of the diamond =) 20150616_181050.jpg

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock
If you've got a macro setting or using a loupe over your camera lens does the trick for me for up close and detailed shots.

D_

Shiny_Rock
If it looks great in person then looks like you've found your ideal diamond.
Congrats!

upgrade-me

Rough_Rock
Looks like a beauty to me! Enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results