shape
carat
color
clarity

Comment left on my cousin’s online obituary - your thoughts???

S

SallyB

My cousin passed away recently. Immediate family posted an online obit and several people left comments below it. What do you make of this comment? (I’m leaving out name and place of employment):

”I worked for ____ at ____ many years ago. As a boss she was just swell. I’m sure her family will miss her.”

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Hard to tell. They could just be bad at expressing themselves, or it could be a snarky comment...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people have a strange way of wording things but don't mean any harm, maybe this person is one of those people, impossible to tell.

We had someone (MIL's best friend) leave a scathing disrespectful comment on my MIL online obituary. It was so bad we had the funeral home delete it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SallyB , I’m sorry for your loss. I would tell myself that some people mean well and really struggle with the right words to help. In situations like this I always try to see the best in people.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cousin passed away recently. Immediate family posted an online obit and several people left comments below it. What do you make of this comment? (I’m leaving out name and place of employment):

”I worked for ____ at ____ many years ago. As a boss she was just swell. I’m sure her family will miss her.”

The fact that she went to your cousin's funeral makes me think she meant just that. Your cousin was a good boss to her and she was well liked and that her family will miss her. I do not read any sarcasm into that comment at all.

I am very sorry for your and your family's loss @SallyB

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry for your loss.
I dont see anything wrong with the comment.
That someone who worked for her years ago would comment at all is amazing.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Just like texts, sometimes written comments are devoid of emotion and potentially misleading as far as intent.
As my Mom said---don't take offense where none is intended. In other words, don't over think. Assume good intentions and let it go.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry to hear about your cousin Sally. Many people are awkward when expressing themselves when someone has passed away. I think this comment was made with kindness only.

S

SallyB

The fact that she went to your cousin's funeral makes me think she meant just that. Your cousin was a good boss to her and she was well liked and that her family will miss her. I do not read any sarcasm into that comment at all.

I am very sorry for your and your family's loss @SallyB

Unfortunately there wasn’t a funeral due to COVID. So this person must’ve been scanning the obits and saw it and decided to post.

Thanks for your condolences!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I honestly didnt even realize it could be taken sarcastically at first and for the first few minutes was wondering how you could have gotten a different message out of it.

Because of anonymity, if that person wanted to say something nasty about her I guarantee she/he would have under a fake profile/name.

I truly think they meant it kindly and didnt have many other things to say.

I guess I would only question thsi comment if I knew my cousin wasnt the nicest person but I'm sure thats not the case.

Sorry for your loss and I'm sending prayers to your family!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like most other people, I have assumed no offense was intended. If you want to ask someone for an opinion, ask someone where she worked. People where she worked would know if this person had a grudge against her (in which case you could have the comment deleted) or was someone friendly with her as we have been assuming.

I, also, am sorry for your loss.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assume the best intentions here. I doubt that she was being mean with her comment, she just phrased it awkwardly.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the poster meant well. Some people are very awkward when it comes to saying something fitting when someone has passed. I wouldnt
read too much into it.

My condolences to you and your family SallyB.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I said on another thread today, I never try to read between the lines. I would first assume only kind thoughts.

I'm sorry for your loss.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I would not read any offense into that comment. As others have said, some people are not as good as expressing themselves. If uncertain, it is my practice to extend grace and assume the best. It makes for a much more peaceful life.

I am sorry for your loss.

Q

Queenie60

I’m sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family. Sometimes people don’t know how to say what they mean in a clear and precise way. Doesn’t appear to be anything but good intensions.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s probably a little awkward but not malicious. I am sorry for your loss!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything seems fine.. She wrote as she speaks and I do that to my own detriment. She thought your cousin was a good boss and she's sure your family will miss your cousin.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m very sorry for your loss @SallyB :(sad

I’m also very sorry for how this pandemic has intruded on your humanity. That people aren’t able to grieve for loved ones together with peace of mind is such a terrible thing.

::Wishing you peace and healing::

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh Sally my condolences to your family
and im sorry because of covid you couldn't have a funneral service

i too did not read the comment in a negative lite
often its hard to think of something appropriate to say at sad times like this

personally if it was someone i didn't like or get along with especially in the workplace, i would say nothing

i would hope this person was genuine and honestly ment to cause you no worry or harm

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
As I said on another thread today, I never try to read between the lines. I would first assume only kind thoughts.

I'm sorry for your loss.

very good advice for live in general

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel it's worded a little awkwardly for the context, but I agree with many of the others that I don't read any negative intentions in there.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. :(

Anne

S

SallyB

Thanks for your nice thoughts and condolences for my cousin everyone. We were close. I think most of you are right, I probably read too much into this one comment. She was a good person who got along with everyone and she went out of her way to help people.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can see how it reads a little like there was a hidden imputed message. But I think it was an accident. I agree with others above, if she wanted to say something malicious she would have said it much more directly (since it is all anonymous anyway). This is so subtle it took a few minutes to pick up on the double meaning. Most likely she was just so shocked when she saw the news (if she was scanning obits then it could have come as a shock) that she tried to write something heartfelt but didnt have the words.

I just heard someone I know has died very unexpectedly. He was a good man. It is a very hollow feeling and I still dont know how to put words to it. Most likely she just stared at the obit and felt awful, and wrote something less than stellar in response.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results