shape
carat
color
clarity

Combine antique and contemporary jewellery

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!
So I have two jewellery hearts beating in me: antique, original pieces and contemporary ones. Concerning the latter I mostly design new pieces with stones from older ones with unattractive settings. With contemporary pieces I like clear lines and simple design.
Do you and if so how, combine antique and modern jewellery?
:)

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi- are you asking about wearing vintage and contemporary clean/simple styles together, harmoniously? Or are you asking about taking vintage jewelry and repurposing it into something clean/contemporary? :)

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Wearing old and new together :). No matter what style either. Just curious if you combine the two and how. Taking apart and resetting is just my hobby.

Coooper

Rough_Rock
Trade
fullsizeoutput_17f0.jpeg
I love to mix and match with chains, charms and charm holders - this is an antique niello albert chain, a deco St Catherine, a 1990s diamond star and, holding it all together, a very recent Pandora charm holder.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@Coooper you have such wonderfully sophisticated taste. Your necklace makes my heart happy!

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I’m all about the neck mess. I love mixing old and new necklaces.
The first combo is my great grandmother’s mother of pearl beads from the early 1900s with a rosary from the 1800s, a catholic medal from the 1940s, and a modern carved bone sugar skull.
5227299B-F2C2-48B2-89DE-13F3AB7F4734.jpeg
The second combo is modern peacock pearls, my Tiffany box chain, an 80s silver chain from Nordstrom’s, an opal and sapphire enhancer I modified from a Thai princess ring from the 1940s, a Victorian blister pearl, a 60’s abalone and silver claw, and a Georgian buckle.
99CE8759-5FCD-412B-BC14-41A0401D36EA.jpeg
The last was a simple combo from earlier today...a 60” gold Victorian guard chain with a modern bezeled moonstone, and (not in the photo) a large 18k 60s Marian medal at the bottom.
2205A871-46EB-4FE2-9029-41F6AA287527.jpeg

Mixing eras is so fun and easy! Wear what you want!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was unsure how to mix my inherited rings with my modern rings
i learnt to stack

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m all about the neck mess. I love mixing old and new necklaces.
The first combo is my great grandmother’s mother of pearl beads from the early 1900s with a rosary from the 1800s, a catholic medal from the 1940s, and a modern carved bone sugar skull.
5227299B-F2C2-48B2-89DE-13F3AB7F4734.jpeg
The second combo is modern peacock pearls, my Tiffany box chain, an 80s silver chain from Nordstrom’s, an opal and sapphire enhancer I modified from a Thai princess ring from the 1940s, a Victorian blister pearl, a 60’s abalone and silver claw, and a Georgian buckle.
99CE8759-5FCD-412B-BC14-41A0401D36EA.jpeg
The last was a simple combo from earlier today...a 60” gold Victorian guard chain with a modern bezeled moonstone, and (not in the photo) a large 18k 60s Marian medal at the bottom.
2205A871-46EB-4FE2-9029-41F6AA287527.jpeg

Mixing eras is so fun and easy! Wear what you want!

I love your look !
Im going to take inspiration from you

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Daisy! :) Take inspiration from everywhere!
I do indeedee :appl:

@Roselina That's actually what brought me here in the first place - the stacking rings thread

I follow a blog by Calla Gold -she is excellent at giving new life to old jewlery - she says 'wear it, dont warehouse it' and she suggested to me to stack rings playing on ring width

the funny this is when we rewatched the photo compilation played at mum's funeral is she staked her rings (which were also multi generational) all the time, we just never noticed

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Keeliamira , I just love your layers and mixes. I really wanted a carved skull pearl, but I never did it. I get a lot of criticism when I wear stuff with skulls, but I love skulls, sugar skulls and Halloween.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Keeliamira , I just love your layers and mixes. I really wanted a carved skull pearl, but I never did it. I get a lot of criticism when I wear stuff with skulls, but I love skulls, sugar skulls and Halloween.

The people thst give you the criticism need to be given the bird :mad:
Just ignore them, for every nay sayer is probably twice as many people who love your look but are too shy or polite to comment

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Dooooo itttttttt! Skulls have always been a powerful symbol of the impermanence of life. Have you checked out memento mori jewelry from the Victorian period (and earlier)? It’s fascinating and beautiful! Thanks for the sweet compliment!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results