shape
carat
color
clarity

Coloured gem experts!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I was given a ring from my mother (she inherited the ring from her aunt). I never wore the ring due to the fact it is set in yellow gold. I was wondering what kind of stone it was. I know it was purchased around the time of 1960 ''s the stone is set in 18k yellow gold. I have looked at the stone under a loop and can see an inclusion so I think it is a natural stone. Any help is welcomed. Or post any questions.

Picture 045.jpg

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
this is my fav pic the stone is a wonderful velvety blue with violet flashes.
36.gif

piv.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow....what a beautiful color!!! Yum!
30.gif

I''m no expert....blue topaz, maybe? Whatever...it''s gorgeous!. I love the mounting too. Have you considered having it rhodium plated?

widget

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My wild guess is that it will yield a refractive index reading of 1.73 plus or minus .01. There''s only one way to know for sure: have it tested. Attempting to identify gems from images is almost always an exercise in futility.

Good guess Widget, but the date''s wrong. While some very pale natural blue topaz was around in the 1960s, intensely-colored irradiated blue material didn''t hit the market until the late 1970s.

Richard M.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Richard M.

Good guess Widget, but the date''s wrong. While some very pale natural blue topaz was around in the 1960s, intensely-colored irradiated blue material didn''t hit the market until the late 1970s.
Thanks, Richard!
1.gif
Learn something new every day! It''s too early for a tanzanite too, isn''t it?

Wow...maybe it is a natural sapphire....how exciting!
3.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2006 1:25:27 PM
Author: colorchange
I would bet on a (nice) sapphire. If the stone is like on the photo you prefer it''s really a nice one.
Richard are you sure you didn''t hit the 3 by mistake trying to hit the 6 ?
28.gif

CC, I would *hope* for a nice sapphire but my typing was in line with my bottom-line suspicion. The 3 (and single index) is what I intended based on the date and other data. I guess I may not as good as some other people here at doing precise gemology via blurry digital images. Of course it''s always fun to second-guess the first person to post anyhow, isn''t it?
31.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2006 1:53:00 PM
Author: Richard M.
Date: 4/1/2006 1:25:27 PM

Author: colorchange

I would bet on a (nice) sapphire. If the stone is like on the photo you prefer it''s really a nice one.

Richard are you sure you didn''t hit the 3 by mistake trying to hit the 6 ?
28.gif

CC, I would *hope* for a nice sapphire but my typing was in line with my bottom-line suspicion. The 3 (and single index) is what I intended based on the date and other data. I guess I may not as good as some other people here at doing precise gemology via blurry digital images. Of course it''s always fun to second-guess the first person to post anyhow, isn''t it?
31.gif

I dont see why it''s more likely to be a sapphire than a spinel?
34.gif
When did synthetic spinels go into production?
33.gif

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input I made an appointment for an appraisal but the gemologist wont be able to do it for 2 weeks
15.gif
. I wish I could have Richard S that is on the forum to do it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Synthetics have inclusions too...

It would be one wonderful sapphire or tanzanite (wasn''t it brought to the market in the 80s though?). The simple setting and unknown value makes me guess it is not natural, but which sort is a wild guess.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2006 2:54:10 PM
Author: Wren
Date: 4/1/2006 1:53:00 PM
When did synthetic spinels go into production?
33.gif

In the early 1900s, a few years after Verneuil made his first flame-fusion rubies. Someone accidentally dumped magnesium oxide into the mix intended for corundum and synthetic spinel was the result. Doping it chemically to simulate other gems was quickly discovered. While it''s a ''genuine synthetic,'' it''s usually used to simulate other gems like sapphire, tourmaline, garnet, alexandrite, etc. Most blue spinels doped with cobalt will appear red under a Chelsea filter. I just ''recycled'' a syn. spinel from an old 1960s-era class ring into a round brilliant cut. It''s almost the exact color of the stone pictured. But no one will know for sure what the subject stone is until it''s tested.

Richard M.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking it was a iolite or a spinel of some sort I don''t think it is a synthetic gem due to the fact my Great Aunt had very nice taste in jewelry and never liked syn gems. The pieces that my mom has of her estate are wonderful a 5 ct oval cut beautiful emerald necklace and a pair of amazing sapphire bracelets.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results