shape
carat
color
clarity

Colour zoning in Amethyst?

Wolfrott

Rough_Rock
Is this colour zoning in this amethyst ring? The stone was purchased in India in 1975, and set in 18ct gold in Italy.

I added multiple pics to show how its not visible from any angle or light source without an intense camera flash.

_2847.jpeg

_2848.jpeg

_2849.jpeg

_2850.jpeg

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Did you clean it well before taking photos? The last photo looks to me like it has your fingerprint on it :)

Wolfrott

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it needed new photos, so I'll go with that :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need clearer photos to tell but Amethyst in general can have colour zoning it it. Can you see that brown band in it that we can see in the first photo in real life?

Wolfrott

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1460616937|4019162 said:
We need clearer photos to tell but Amethyst in general can have colour zoning it it. Can you see that brown band in it that we can see in the first photo in real life?

No you can't, not without an intense light source and through a macro setting in my camsera. I haven't tried my 60x loupe yet, but are going through my new photos on my pc after I gave it another clean to see what is, and post better phots soon!

Wolfrott

Rough_Rock
Here's the new photos! Its been cleansed again but I apologise for the stubborn fingerprints!

I've tried to take the best pics I could, in natural light and right up close to a LED light on macro.

The red band(s) are invisible unless you're looking at the amethyst through the macro setting with the light behind it at an angle, never from the front or the back.

Does anybody have any idea what it is? Colour zoning? Is it good or bad?

_3481.jpeg

_3482.jpeg

_3483.jpeg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I'd probably describe it as a rutile inclusion or an inclusion of another mineral rather than a band... I think rutile is kind of cool. I know my MIL is always on about heated and treated Amethyst so I guess it could have been something that was heated but it looks more like a band of rutile or something in your photos, and I think it is unlikely to be treated if it is that old. You can see from these crystals in the link below how you can get colour zoning and bands of other things inside Amethyst...

http://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/spring-2015-gemnews-amethyst-morocco-update

Wolfrott

Rough_Rock
Okay, cool! Thanks very much for the help :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results