shape
carat
color
clarity

Colour Preference

Which tone do you prefer on a tsavorite?

• Medium dark?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a very generic question:
I'm currently shopping for a tsavorite but can't decide between 2 stones. One is a squarish stone (octagonal shaped) with medium tone, the other is a portugese cut oval with medium dark tone. Both have identical saturation and purity of colour. The only difference is shape and tone. Size-wise, they are also very close. Would you pick the medium tone or medium dark and why? Both are of the bluish green variety.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like both and it would depend on the stone. But in general I would probably go with a medium because with darker stones I worry about extinction. Thats my big gemstone peve. I even like the ones that are just a tad too light to be called tsavorites.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
The sold one carat round on this page looks like it could be a bit dark but it has a little bit of blue which I love.
http://www.gemfix.com/garnet_green2.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The medium dark tone isn''t very different from the medium tone. It is still clearly a very bright and brilliant stone. Darn it, you''re forcing me to post the pictures which I wanted to avoid.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Octagon tsavorite with medium tone.

Med Tsav.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Portugese cut oval with medium dark tone.

MDark Tsav.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry for the large pictures.
emembarrassed.gif
I didn''t realize it''ll be so huge. On the plus side, you can see tons of colour.
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono,, I know next to nothing about gem stones,, except which are semi precious ...lol and what I think is pretty, but I sure love the shape of the Octagonal shaped the best!! i vote Octagon shape.. I like square shaped things... so gorgeous color is rich and yummyy!!! love it!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Goodness those are both beauties! They are pretty close. I''d go for the shape you like best. I need to take another look!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I guess I like the look of the first one .I''m not sure if it has to do with the color or cut, but there is just something about it. However the second one''s not too shabby either :)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m no expert on tsavs, but the first one (the octagonal one) is just calling me. I love the color and shape together. I also love the second one, but I''m not a huge fan of portuguese cuts in general which is why my vote is for the first.

They are both magnificent though!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inner Kitten,
Have you seen mine? It''s a medium dark.

Chrono,
You know my preference. I have to say -- the oval looks more like a medium than a medium-dark.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 11:20:51 PM
Author: Harriet
Inner Kitten,
Have you seen mine? It''s a medium dark.

Chrono,
You know my preference. I have to say -- the oval looks more like a medium than a medium-dark.
Harriet,
I agree. The oval certainly appears a medium. I expect a medium dark to be a shade darker than that.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, I have seen yours in person along with your spinel and ering. All lovely. I do remember that it was very beautiful stone and the setting was really unique ( Leon right?). It''s a medium dark?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your kind words, IK. Yes, it''s a medium-dark. I don''t see any extinction, but the richness of colour...oh my!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the 1st one but I really think the oval is beautiful. It don't look like a classic Portugese cut. Love the color on both of them, I don't see much of a difference (maybe it's my monitor).

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Between those two, I''d go for the octagon because I like the cut more and there doesn''t seem to me to be a lot of difference in tone. If the oval were 5-10% darker, it would be a really tough call and I''d be torn, purely assessing them as loose gems. I assume it''s for a ring, right?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 12:25:01 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
Between those two, I''d go for the octagon because I like the cut more and there doesn''t seem to me to be a lot of difference in tone. If the oval were 5-10% darker, it would be a really tough call and I''d be torn, purely assessing them as loose gems. I assume it''s for a ring, right?
I haven''t decided yet but I''m pretty sure it''ll eventually be set in a ring.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know about tone, but I have a portuguese cut zircon, and it has become my favorite cut of all. The sparkle is better than any other cut I have ever seen...

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
The medium tone. I can''t name it but that stone appears to be more lively.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 11:14:45 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
I''m no expert on tsavs, but the first one (the octagonal one) is just calling me. I love the color and shape together. I also love the second one, but I''m not a huge fan of portuguese cuts in general which is why my vote is for the first.

They are both magnificent though!
Big ditto. They are both stunning. I don''t think you can go wrong with either!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are lovely but there''s slightly more extinction in #2. The octagon looks a great looking stone and just for the cut, I''d opt for that. What a great choice you have.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t vote, cause it all depends on what your plans are for the stone. If you''d set it in white metal or bezel it, I''d get the medium one, cause the other one might end up blackish. If you, however, are thinking about a yellow gold project, darker one might be a better choice, as the other one might end up yellowish green.

Hope this helps.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Medium dark all the way for me.

I have tsavorites that are a light medium, a medium and a medium dark and the latter are what always stand out to me.

Of the two that you posted, they actually look very similar in the pictures. Tough call...

knitwit

Rough_Rock
I love the octagon shape and since the color is so close...I voted #1.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 11:20:51 PM
Author: Harriet

Chrono,
I looooove your tsav, Harriet. I must admit I''ve never seen a really fine tsav in person, which I really need to attempt to rectify. I think in my head "dark" sounds like something we don''t want
3.gif

Chrono- I don''t think I really see enough difference between the two stones to call one medium and one medium-dark. However, I do know that I am really drawn to the octagonal stone. It''s an eye-catcher, for sure.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. Maybe I should keep looking then. I''ve got 2 more sources but they won''t be ready until next week.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 10:43:48 AM
Author: Chrono
Thanks everyone. Maybe I should keep looking then. I''ve got 2 more sources but they won''t be ready until next week.
Well, top tsav isn''t exactly cheap so I would make sure that it''s exactly what you want. No reason to rush if more options are coming, IMO.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other two are very well know cutters on PS so I won''t out their names until I''ve made a decision. Obviously I won''t be able to post pictures because everyone will recognize them right away.
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 11:02:39 AM
Author: Chrono
The other two are very well know cutters on PS so I won''t out their names until I''ve made a decision. Obviously I won''t be able to post pictures because everyone will recognize them right away.
2.gif
welllllll I guess that is okay, as long as you post photos after you decide? (please!!
9.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results