shape
carat
color
clarity

COLOUR and CLAIRTY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nerf14

Rough_Rock
When searching for a diamond do you sacrifice colour or clairty ? Price wise should you pay more for a better colour or pay more for clairty?
So F colour and SI diamond or G colour and VS diamond? which one would you pick?

Thanks

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
First thing you pay for is the BEST CUT you can.

Second thing is color because it is something you can see.

And third is clarity. You can really go down safely to a VS2 at least without seeing ANYTHING, and with color, even down to a G or H is very safe for most people. So I would go G or H VS2/eyeclean SI1 myself!!!

nerf14

Rough_Rock
Thanks neatfreak...
the diamond will be small...probably a 0.5 to 0.6 carat.
I have heard that SI - eyeclean is not bad
there is always this debate...that clarity is more important than colour bc the light may hit the inclusions therefore taking away from the brilliance....but colour is more important b/c you want a whiter diamond.
So I am confused

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 11:45:53 AM
Author: nerf14
Thanks neatfreak...

the diamond will be small...probably a 0.5 to 0.6 carat.

I have heard that SI - eyeclean is not bad

there is always this debate...that clarity is more important than colour bc the light may hit the inclusions therefore taking away from the brilliance....but colour is more important b/c you want a whiter diamond.

So I am confused

Bah...clarity isn''t too important until you get down past SI1 etc. THEN the inclusions can muddle the diamond...but unless you have only a cloud that is making up an SI1 rating or something, you really should be totally fine in that range. I personally would pay for color over clarity (to a reasonable extent) any day and almost everyone on PS feels the same way with the exception of people who like higher clarities for the "mind clean" feeling.

But really, the most important thing for brilliance and shine is CUT. So don''t scrimp there.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
It's all about balance.

Cut is a good priority because great cut will influence a diamond's face-up color and clarity appearance. More intense light return = less entrapment of body color. An extremely well cut diamond will appear more colorless face-up than its lab grade, which was assigned looking through the pavilion from the side. People are often astonished at how 'white' near-colorless diamonds of premium cut can appear. Additionally, increased brightness, dispersion & scintillation can mask inclusions that may be seen in a 'dead' diamond.

Compare apples to apples too: GIA and AGS grading are the strictest. If you're looking in commercial markets with average cut diamonds and grading reports from less-strict labs you may be getting a false impression of what color and clarity grades imply. I have seen poorly cut diamonds in pedestrian markets graded F/VS that show color and have visible inclusions. This is not representative of strict lab grading. Further, the best cut stones are often sent to the stricter labs.

nerf14

Rough_Rock
thanks John!
im still learning:)

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
To some extent, I believe that this choice is personal as there is no accounting for taste, however, if you are looking for quality as well as some size, you are probably bang on.

Cut is most important because it affects how the diamond refracts light and holds the key to it''s beauty.

In my opinion as well, color holds more importance than clarity b/c it is something that is easy to see ... Just look at a group of diamonds ranging from D - I color and this fact becomes readily apparent.

With regards to clarity, many SI1 diamonds are "eye clean", which means that to the naked eye you cannot see any inclusions, therefore, if this is all you are going for, why pay more for diamonds with VS or VVS clarity?

For my money, I would pay more for an F diamond with really good SI1 clarity (no really apparent inclusions) as opposed to a G with VS clarity ... This is probably because I am really color conscious, however, everyone tends to vary slightly in their opinions in this regard.

Take a look at a lot of diamonds and decide what is most or more important to you and determine what you feel is most beautiful.

Good luck and have fun!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
For whatever it matters as well, I have found GIA certs & diamonds to be more accurately graded that those with EGL certs.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 12:05:13 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

It''s all about balance.

Cut is a good priority because great cut will influence a diamond''s face-up color and clarity appearance. More intense light return = less entrapment of body color. An extremely well cut diamond will appear more colorless face-up than its lab grade, which was assigned looking through the pavilion from the side. People are often astonished at how ''white'' near-colorless diamonds of premium cut can appear. Additionally, increased brightness, dispersion & scintillation can mask inclusions that may be seen in a ''dead'' diamond.

Compare apples to apples too: GIA and AGS grading are the strictest. If you''re looking in commercial markets with average cut diamonds and grading reports from less-strict labs you may be getting a false impression of what color and clarity grades imply. I have seen poorly cut diamonds in pedestrian markets graded F/VS that show color and have visible inclusions. This is not representative of strict lab grading. Further, the best cut stones are often sent to the stricter labs.
John,

This may be one of the BEST succinct posts on the subject EVER!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Lynn

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pick an ideal cut then make sure it''s eye clean then pick the highest color grade I could get.

Jenna51580gr

Shiny_Rock
I agree with everyone else Cut should be number one priority! Than you want clarity to be eye clean which is usually VS2 and sometimes you get lucky with SI1. Than you want color as much as you can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results