shape
carat
color
clarity

Colors..

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
So, I was just browsing the equivalent of "show me your ring" on a another site.

The pearls were beautiful, the neckshots awesome. But, I noticed some that made me go
23.gif
, because while the pearl colors were gorgeous (off the skin), on the skin they looked washed out.
I''m very anal about colors and what I think looks good on me. Maybe it''s because of where I''m from, but it''s kind of bred into my psyche.

I''ve always stayed away Peach (clothes and pearls). The color gets lost on me and doesn''t brighten me up. Out of the two pinks I purchased I know the silver ones look better, and yet, I''m hesitant to send the other strand back because it''s so pretty. So all morning I was trying it on with different color combos to find something that worked. Luckily I did.

What about you? Do you say to hell with it and just buy colors you like regardless of how they look on you? Or are you anal like me and stay away from certain tones/shades even though you love them?

I''ve asked something similiar before about skin tone and pearl colors but after seeing the other sites pics, I''m asking again.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Elle,

Those two strands looked great together on you. Did you send one back?

I hope you were able to keep both. Don''t forget clothes can offset the color, especially if you wear a lot of black tops, which I do.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 9:29:09 PM
Author: gardengloves
Elle,

Those two strands looked great together on you. Did you send one back?

I hope you were able to keep both. Don''t forget clothes can offset the color, especially if you wear a lot of black tops, which I do.
Nope, didn''t send it back (yet). Will call them tomorrow to see what they say.

I also wear a lot of black tops. The darker strand looks very nice over black.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2010 7:24:04 PM
Author:elle_chris
So, I was just browsing the equivalent of ''show me your ring'' on a another site.

The pearls were beautiful, the neckshots awesome. But, I noticed some that made me go
23.gif
, because while the pearl colors were gorgeous (off the skin), on the skin they looked washed out.
I''m very anal about colors and what I think looks good on me. Maybe it''s because of where I''m from, but it''s kind of bred into my psyche.

I''ve always stayed away Peach (clothes and pearls). The color gets lost on me and doesn''t brighten me up. Out of the two pinks I purchased I know the silver ones look better, and yet, I''m hesitant to send the other strand back because it''s so pretty. So all morning I was trying it on with different color combos to find something that worked. Luckily I did.

What about you? Do you say to hell with it and just buy colors you like regardless of how they look on you? Or are you anal like me and stay away from certain tones/shades even though you love them?

I''ve asked something similiar before about skin tone and pearl colors but after seeing the other sites pics, I''m asking again.
I must be in the "what the heck" camp. I just figure everything looks good on me because I''m ....me. (JK!!)

It''s odd though, I look truly DEAD in yellow, but I think I look really good in pearls with a yellow tone, which a lot of people either can''t wear or just don''t like.

And in response to the great hoo-ha about lavender pearls, I had an earring and pendant set made out of lavender Freshadamas. Gorgeous set, but I don''t think they do so much with my skin. HOWEVER, with a certain dark purple top I have, they are pretty great. Oh, and I do look really good in purple. Go figure.

Peach? I just think they''re pretty. Do they look good, well I don''t know. :)

I know I like the lighter colored pearls, and don''t find myself attracted to the darker ones, like tahitians or black freshies.

Oh, and for reference, I''m a redhead with freckles, hazel eyes, and the fair skin. But I don''t do oranges, acid yellows or acid or emerald greens.

So....I dunno?

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I can't wear a whole strand of peach either. They look sallow and kind of blend in. I have tried on deep gold SS and looked hideous. The champagne SS seems ok but didn't do much for me. I was skeptical about rose overtone gold akoya from PP, but they turned out really nice. I guess because of the mirror luster of akoya versus the satiny luster of SS that made the difference. As far as blue baroque akoya pearls, I thought they lost their pink overtone on me but I saw them a few days ago. I guess I was not looking in good lighting.

Most pearls do not look to good in bright sunlight. They glow better on cloudy days or diffused natural lighting. For example a tahitian bracelet can look almost green in office lighting, but in the car (w/o bright sun) or outside in the shade other overtones pop out.

For tahitian pearls, I find that lighter aubergine differs from dark aubergine on me. Depending on the hue, certain aubergines really pop and certain ones are just too dark which make them look almost black on me instead of reddish purple. I have a strand of silvery green tahitian that looks horrible on white background, almost greyish looking. But on my skin, the green comes alive and the strand looks better than on the background itself.

Learning from experience, I also think dark hair does not bring out dark tahitian pearls too well (such as dark green or peacock) if they are worn dangle-style. I had a pair of peacock earrings set in dangle style that did not do justice to the pearls when they are displayed in front of my dark shoulder-length hair. I tried pulling my hair up sometimes when I wear them. This way the pearls pop out. Since they are not too large, I decided to change them into studs. As a result, the rose overtone is more noticeable on my earlobes rather than dangle with the dark hair.

To display pearls' true colors, pearls should be examined against white cloth and photograph on white background. At Tahiti Pearl Market, the sales lady also offered to put the pearls inside white styrofoam cup. IMHO, to really know how they look on your skin (for those of us who do not have pinkish pale complexion), I think they should be photograph on off-white or nude bust form. I have asked Ashley at Pure Pearls to photograph some loose pearls on cream background for my mom to speculate how the pendant would show on her chest.

Nothing beats trying on pearls in person though. I hope it's not too much ranting.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I''m also fair, but only freckle when i tan (then i get that copper look) and hate creams, peaches. Even thoughI I keep reading they should look great. I''ve learned not to follow any rules. Or maybe I just have weird taste.

HHP- I think a photograph of pearls on a off white base is a fabulous idea. I need to get three strands. 1 for my mom (she''s also olive skinned, but I think peaches would look good on her), one for my mother-in-law (her b-day is in May), and one for my sister-in-law for her wedding in August. Hope you don''t mind me using your idea. I was wondering how to go about it.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, your new avatar! love it, love it, love it...

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2010 8:44:54 PM
Author: gardengloves
OMG, your new avatar! love it, love it, love it...

me too! I love yours too Gardengloves!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2010 5:21:32 PM
Author: HHPmom
I can''t wear a whole strand of peach either. They look sallow and kind of blend in. I have tried on deep gold SS and looked hideous. The champagne SS seems ok but didn''t do much for me. I was skeptical about rose overtone gold akoya from PP, but they turned out really nice. I guess because of the mirror luster of akoya versus the satiny luster of SS that made the difference. As far as blue baroque akoya pearls, I thought they lost their pink overtone on me but I saw them a few days ago. I guess I was not looking in good lighting.

Most pearls do not look to good in bright sunlight. They glow better on cloudy days or diffused natural lighting. For example a tahitian bracelet can look almost green in office lighting, but in the car (w/o bright sun) or outside in the shade other overtones pop out.

For tahitian pearls, I find that lighter aubergine differs from dark aubergine on me. Depending on the hue, certain aubergines really pop and certain ones are just too dark which make them look almost black on me instead of reddish purple. I have a strand of silvery green tahitian that looks horrible on white background, almost greyish looking. But on my skin, the green comes alive and the strand looks better than on the background itself.

Learning from experience, I also think dark hair does not bring out dark tahitian pearls too well (such as dark green or peacock) if they are worn dangle-style. I had a pair of peacock earrings set in dangle style that did not do justice to the pearls when they are displayed in front of my dark shoulder-length hair. I tried pulling my hair up sometimes when I wear them. This way the pearls pop out. Since they are not too large, I decided to change them into studs. As a result, the rose overtone is more noticeable on my earlobes rather than dangle with the dark hair.

To display pearls'' true colors, pearls should be examined against white cloth and photograph on white background. At Tahiti Pearl Market, the sales lady also offered to put the pearls inside white styrofoam cup. IMHO, to really know how they look on your skin (for those of us who do not have pinkish pale complexion), I think they should be photograph on off-white or nude bust form. I have asked Ashley at Pure Pearls to photograph some loose pearls on cream background for my mom to speculate how the pendant would show on her chest.

Nothing beats trying on pearls in person though. I hope it''s not too much ranting.
Yes - I have a pair of danglies that were gorgeous on their white velvet rests in the store, but my dark skin and hair doesn''t do them justice. White or golden pearls look much better on me in general, though I adore tahitians - especially silvery ones.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Garden, you did it too! excellent. Love 3 strands on you!

So interesting to read how different the same colors can look depending on who''s wearing them. I don''t have a problem with dangly darks against my hair, not blonde either (medium/lightish brown). The problem I have it you can barely see them when my hair''s down so i haven''t bothered getting another pair or earrings. Really tempted to though.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2010 2:57:16 AM
Author: yssie

Yes - I have a pair of danglies that were gorgeous on their white velvet rests in the store, but my dark skin and hair doesn''t do them justice. White or golden pearls look much better on me in general, though I adore tahitians - especially silvery ones.
If they are not too large to droop on your earlobes, switch them to studs like I did. You''ll like them much better.
2.gif

Gardengloves and Elle, your avatars are fabulous.
30.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Stark silverwhite is not great on me- I have very pale skin but with a bit of an olive/yellow undertone, and black hair and eyes. I can''t describe exactly what too-white pearls do that I don''t like, it''s just off somehow- too stark or something, like I wash the pearls out a bit and vice versa. Creams and off whites are better, but not my favorites in terms of pearls. The rose overtone whites are definitely the best on me, they make my skin look creamier rather than sallow, lol.

I do really well in purple tones of all types, pearls no exceptions. My dark lavender blue freshwaters are probably the most flattering in terms of color on me- DH likes them best of all my pearls, and he actually has very good taste so I trust his opinion. Most Tahitians, in cooler tones, work well on me. I suppose I could do pistachios OK, but I don''t care for them, so it''s kinda moot. Multicolored Tahitian strands are my favorite, but no more or less flattering than any Tahitians on me.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Elle, I also love your avatar!

To answer your question, I do pay attention to how certain colors look on me. I''m especially concerned when I''m purchasing an "investment piece", meaning something I intend to wear for years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results