shape
carat
color
clarity

colors for winter wedding - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that it usually looks great when everyone is in a different style. They looked relaxed and happy because they feel beautiful! I am going the same route.

I am having a winter wedding, too! January, though. I love this inspiration thread, as I also wanted to avoid anything that looked too christmasy, as it is the week after christmas for me. I am doing grey and dusky blue (with some off-white in there). I considered that peacock blue color, too, and think it is absolutely stunning! Great choice!

I will post my an inspiration board sometimes soon, hopefully, and we can compare winter wedding notes!

1.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LeeNY and Porrige! we will all be winter brides - good to know - i feel like there aren''t many, compared to the other seasons. It was hard for me to get going on ideas etc b/c i guess i''ve always thought i would be married in the fall, or at least a season that was warm enough to be outside....

I am actually getting really excited about the winter themes now though - i feel like there is a lot you can do with that time of year if you really think winter-y. I am so looking forward to seeing your ideas too!!!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Hey Violet!
35.gif
FI and I haven''t nailed down the date definitely yet, but you can probably count me in as a winter bride! I have lots of notes and ideas too - it''s such a beautiful season!!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 4:52:08 PM
Author: violet3

Thanks tlh! i am completely planning on wearing a faux fur (and maybe bridesmaids too)! we might do a fur wrap and a little muff for my flower girl too - love it!
28.gif
I like the birdcage veil too, but unfortunately i showed a picture of one to FI and there was a resounding ''no'' on his end! ummm....that''s when i stopped showing him things
27.gif
Bahahahaha - I laughed when I read this!!! Haha FI is a big helper, but there have been so many neat ideas I''ve seen, and I''ll turn the laptop or magazine his way and show him, and his face just shows it all. Haha, he almost gives me a face that says, "Psh, are you kidding? That looks ridiculous..." Hehe maybe I shouldn''t show him as much stuff yet either!!
2.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 3:51:38 PM
Here''s one of the pictures i liked for the centerpieces...I will probably spray paint the branches sparkly and have some irridescent glass beads under the floating candles...
I love the picture you posted for the centerpieces, and I think your ideas about the floating candles and hanging glass beads are gorgeous!!

I''ve always wanted to use a votive tree or something to this effect: (sorry the picture quality got messed up a bit, but you get the idea)

votivetree1234.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 8:59:06 AM
Author: luvthemstrawberries

Date: 2/2/2009 4:52:08 PM

Thanks tlh! i am completely planning on wearing a faux fur (and maybe bridesmaids too)! we might do a fur wrap and a little muff for my flower girl too - love it!
28.gif
I like the birdcage veil too, but unfortunately i showed a picture of one to FI and there was a resounding 'no' on his end! ummm....that's when i stopped showing him things
27.gif
Bahahahaha - I laughed when I read this!!! Haha FI is a big helper, but there have been so many neat ideas I've seen, and I'll turn the laptop or magazine his way and show him, and his face just shows it all. Haha, he almost gives me a face that says, 'Psh, are you kidding? That looks ridiculous...' Hehe maybe I shouldn't show him as much stuff yet either!!
2.gif
Hi Luvthemstrawberries!!! can't wait to brainstorm with you ladies on this winter-y stuff...i love those centerpieces you posted - where did you get the picture?

in reference to the above, i have done this a few times where i saw something and showed it to FI (like you) and you are right - he looks like i am completely nuts or he is horrified!

Here's a funny story: I first asked him what he liked in a wedding dress, just in general, because i'd like to wear something he likes if i can. Oh boy, should i not have done that! There is no rhyme or reason why he likes one dress and not another - at all! The only thing he said to me was he really didn't want me to get a dress that was all "beaded lace." Apparently, beaded is ok and lace is ok, but not all together! do you ever see one without the other?

Of course, at the time i thought we'd be getting married in the fall and what do you think was my favorite kind of dress and my favorite one i tried on then? you got it - beaded lace. I'll attach a pic of the back so you can see - the whole thing is beaded lace!!! Let me just say, i am really happy i couldn't actually sit down in that dress (making it a no-go anyway) or i would have probably struggled with that one!
28.gif
I think i am going with a heavier fabric now anyway when i choose b/c of the time of year - satin hopefully but i'm not sure.

My sister pretty much told me this: here's what he will remember about the dress...it was white.
9.gif
(oh, and hopefully he'll think i looked pretty too!) So, in the event of nixing another option i love from the dress pool, no more inquiries from me in that department!!!

Here's the dress in question (maggie's phillipa - like i said, i couldn't sit down -- but man was it pretty)...

backmaggiestrump2.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 4:32:53 PM
Author: mynewobsession
I vote for #1 as well! Although I think both would be beautiful, I really love the blue dress. I''m also doing a wintery wedding theme (2/19/10) and our colors will be icy blue, deep plum purple with silver accents. I''m planning on doing centerpieces just like that!

Whatever you choose, I''m sure it will be pretty!
Hi there! just realized that i missed this reply -sorry! hey, your colors sound really nice together....are there any pictures? i love the idea of having three colors (it seems like lots of people on here do) but i don''t always feel creative enough to know what else to include
emembarrassed.gif
. I would love to see a picture of your colors!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 10:34:44 AM

Hi Luvthemstrawberries!!! can''t wait to brainstorm with you ladies on this winter-y stuff...i love those centerpieces you posted - where did you get the picture?

in reference to the above, i have done this a few times where i saw something and showed it to FI (like you) and you are right - he looks like i am completely nuts or he is horrified!

Here''s a funny story: I first asked him what he liked in a wedding dress, just in general, because i''d like to wear something he likes if i can. Oh boy, should i not have done that! There is no rhyme or reason why he likes one dress and not another - at all! The only thing he said to me was he really didn''t want me to get a dress that was all ''beaded lace.'' Apparently, beaded is ok and lace is ok, but not all together! do you ever see one without the other?

Of course, at the time i thought we''d be getting married in the fall and what do you think was my favorite kind of dress and my favorite one i tried on then? you got it - beaded lace. I''ll attach a pic of the back so you can see - the whole thing is beaded lace!!! Let me just say, i am really happy i couldn''t actually sit down in that dress (making it a no-go anyway) or i would have probably struggled with that one!
28.gif
I think i am going with a heavier fabric now anyway when i choose b/c of the time of year - satin hopefully but i''m not sure.

My sister pretty much told me this: here''s what he will remember about the dress...it was white.
9.gif
(oh, and hopefully he''ll think i looked pretty too!) So, in the event of nixing another option i love from the dress pool, no more inquiries from me in that department!!!

Here''s the dress in question (maggie''s phillipa - like i said, i couldn''t sit down -- but man was it pretty)...
Hehehehe I''ve shown FI lots of dresses, just through browsing in magazines and online and such, haha and he''ll never give me any ideas or reasons WHY he likes or dislikes certain ones!! Haha btw, I''ve never gotten this response: "Now I LIKE that one"... almost always the response is "sure, that one''s nice" or "Nah, that''s not you"... haha he''s never even SEEN me in a dress!!
3.gif
I mean he knows my daily styles and stuff but dressing up is a totally different idea altogether! Haha I''ve also gotten many a *disgusted* look at some I show him that I actually think would be cool to try on!
3.gif
The one thing we''ve agreed on is I probably won''t have strapless (he doesn''t want me in it at all, and I honestly think I''d get tired of tugging at it, but I''ll still try a few on).

Anyway, you''re right, he''ll most likely remember the most dominant feature - it''s white!
1.gif

The votive tree I posted was from here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012PP3MM/ref=asc_df_B0012PP3MM704725?smid=AB7N2KJ4KAXC3&tag=shopzilla_rev_1199-20&linkCode=asn

Just google something along the lines of "votive tree" or "candle tree"... you just have to dig through a bunch of different ones - I found more pictures to the effect of this one below than anything else, which is not the look I was going for. I really like the look of the one above.

P11084680.jpg

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Also search for something along the lines of "ornament tree" or "ornament hanger" - that''s how I found the original one I''d seen on a venue''s website. I''ll have to get the link for you when I get home.

Here''s some ideas (the word "ornament tree" has many looks!!): http://www.finehomedisplays.com/ornamenttreestands.asp

For things like those I''ve seen people just buy hanging votive holders after that, I found those online too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue blue blue!!!!! (As if you didn''t know that would be my final vote already.)

I''m really excited about having a winter wedding. Seriously. Delighted. I''m kind of glad I don''t have to worry about decorating a reception venue though, but I do have a bajillion ideas.

I think we need a winter bride thread...

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
Hello my DATE TWIN!!!

I''m going to say that the blue, silver, and black would be just beautiful!!!

Where is your wedding going to be? (apologize if you''ve already said this)....I really wanted a shorter BM dress but was afraid that b/c of December in CO it would be too cold (inappropriate maybe?).

I also love the votive tree idea from luvthemstrawberries. I actually just save that picture to my growing folder of centerpieces
9.gif

I second Frekes idea of a winter wedding thread...There seems to be a lot of us
36.gif

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for option 1. The blueish teal dresses are so pretty and will look great shorter! Perfect for a winter wedding with that pop of color! :)

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 2:38:34 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
Also search for something along the lines of 'ornament tree' or 'ornament hanger' - that's how I found the original one I'd seen on a venue's website. I'll have to get the link for you when I get home.

Here's some ideas (the word 'ornament tree' has many looks!!): http://www.finehomedisplays.com/ornamenttreestands.asp

For things like those I've seen people just buy hanging votive holders after that, I found those online too.
luvthemstrawberries - thanks for all that helpful information - i will check out those sites! I was originally planning on using real tree branches (from a friends backyard - ha!) but i also like that candle holder you posted that looks like a little tree.

Freke - thanks for starting the winter thread - i know there is going to be tons of great ideas on there....any sign of the dress yet?

Definitely, maybe - thank you! and thanks for the vote on the shorter dresses!

AMS -
I love your colors too - i remember your inspiration board! Re: Bridesmaid Dresses - i live on the east coast, so it will be cold here too...i was slightly worried that it would be inappropriate for cocktail length dresses for about one minute (and honestly i am SURE that my mother will think so
28.gif
). But then i thought of what i would wear to a wedding....Would i wear something floor length?...well, not unless someone made me! So, my sister said she was excited to wear a cocktail length dress, and i'm going with it! I figure i can "winter them up" so to speak with fur wraps and really holiday-ish shoes and lots of sparkly brooches etc. For me, the one thing i would proabably avoid (and you can see it on the David's website) is having dresses that are ABOVE the knee - ie. pretty short. Most of the ones i was looking at were just below the knee, and for whatever reason (in my brain) it made a difference - I'll attach a photo of the length i like...obviously not that color...

alfredangelobmaid1.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AMS - here was the dress i LOVED from davids, but i thought it was too short for my ladies for the winter....in the summer i would totally love it though (i was almost thinking about how cold it would be to wear it with a winter draft
25.gif
!!!)

davidstooshortforme.jpg

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I definitely know what you mean about the length being right below the knees....It makes a huge difference!

I worry about length because 2 of my girls (FI''s sisters) are pretty short...like 5''1/5''2....Do you think tee length or cocktail length would make them look shorter? ....I think I might be over analyzing
3.gif

I also want them to wear different (but coordinating) dresses...They all have such different figures (tall and skinny, short with a big chest, tall with big hips, tall with a lovely hour glass figure)...I want them to be in a dress that compliments them and that they feel comfortable in....Do you think I''ve bitten off more than I can chew
2.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 5:06:38 PM
Author: ams0124
Oh I definitely know what you mean about the length being right below the knees....It makes a huge difference!

I worry about length because 2 of my girls (FI's sisters) are pretty short...like 5'1/5'2....Do you think tee length or cocktail length would make them look shorter? ....I think I might be over analyzing
3.gif

I also want them to wear different (but coordinating) dresses...They all have such different figures (tall and skinny, short with a big chest, tall with big hips, tall with a lovely hour glass figure)...I want them to be in a dress that compliments them and that they feel comfortable in....Do you think I've bitten off more than I can chew
2.gif
Nope - not at all! but i do think you are going to need to do knee length/cocktail length, NOT tea length. I think tea length can make LOTS of people look short - it can be an awkward length for some, but knee length i think is fairly universal in flattering people. Some of them might have to get the hem taken up, though so they all fall at the same length....i think it's totally doable.

Check out alfred angelo - there are MANY dresses that are available knee length. Also Davids (but it REALLY depends on the color as to how many styles are available), Impressions (which is also DaVinci i think) and i LOVE the dresses from Bill Levkov, even though they are a tad more money - the material is devine. And i saw some by Dessy that were very classy looking in real life. I think in the shorter lengths, there is so much to choose from!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results