shape
carat
color
clarity

colors for winter wedding - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello ladies - my wedding is scheduled for December 5, 2009
1.gif
Since it will be near to christmas, i would liike it to be a wintery wedding theme. One thing i absolutely do not want is anything that looks too christmas-y, so any kind of red/cranberry/green dresses for the girls is a no. We have talked about it, and i've narrowed it down to two ideas:

1. blue (peacock blue or teal) and silvers. If we go this way, i would have everyone pick their dress style same color and was thinking of adding a unique sparkly pin/brooch to each dress. If we go this route, the girls will wear silver shoes and i will wear shoes the color of their dresses (thanks New England Lady!!!).

2. or all champagne/silver/gold. the ladies would be in champagne and i would keep the dresses more uniform so it was all muted and wintery. My problem is i think in december it might be hard to pull off champagne on everyone, and you might need a bit of color somewhere, since it's grey outside all over.

Either way we go, the theme of the wedding will be lots of candlelight, some wintery branches and silver/sparkly items all around. I am wondering what you all think would look better - do you think you need a color to spice it up - aka peacock blue? Or do you think it would be better to keep it all soft and metallic in the champagne family? I am a divided camp on this and cannot decide.....any input would be great - thanks!

I'll attach a picture of one of my bridesmaids in each color and an inspiration picture for the decor - you let me know what you think about either approach if you have the time - thanks!!!!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one of the pictures i liked for the centerpieces...I will probably spray paint the branches sparkly and have some irridescent glass beads under the floating candles...

winterdecor.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My lovely bridesmaid in a lovely dress - she looks great in everything! here''s the champagne with sash (bill levkov)....they would all be in this same dress....

bmaiddress1.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our wedding is in January 2010, and we''re doing silver/grey, white, black with splashes of blue.
My dress is silver, my accessories are white and blue, my MOH and the male attendant/s will be in black, FI will be in charcoal and blue, and since its in Vegas, we don''t really have to worry about decor.

So my preliminary vote (I want to see pics!) is for option #1.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the peacock blue - there would be a variety of dresses they could choose from and all be in this color with silver shoes and sparkly brooches on each.....I think we'll do cocktail length with fun shoes for them. My sister has been a bridesmaid about 8 times and never got to wear anything but floor length - she's excited about a shorter dress. this particular color is from Alfred Angelo - tealness - i love it.

bmaiddress2.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Freke - i knew already which one you would pick!!!!! i HEART your dress and can''t wait to see the new shoe pick (if you haven''t already)
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Ok...I saw a knottie the other day with the same blue and silver winter wedding theme and she is selling her centerpieces that are manzanita sprayed silver with hanging votive and crystals. I''ll be back in a minute with the link. Where are you located?

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am loving that blue dress!!! In winter, I would say for the blue theme, it will be brighter, and the paler colours may look a little washed out, unless you bring some more colour in somewhere else, like the BMs flowers, accessories etc.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks Emeraldlover! i couldn't see it though....Let me know if you know how to search it out on there and i'll go looking!

ETA: sorry! i just saw your ETA
9.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Let me know if you can''t find it and I''ll see if I can figure out how to link to the thread.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I love chocolate and tiffany blue!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Sorry... I was off topic. #1 has my vote!!!!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
LOOOOOVE the teal!!! Maybe teal, silver and black? I''m using those for my second wedding.
3.gif
Just kidding.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 4:14:03 PM
Author: tlh
I love chocolate and tiffany blue!
ha ha ha ha! you actually had me laughing out loud at my computer tlh!!! i love tiffany blue and chocolate too - someone else i know is using those colors and they''re beautiful! i just wanted something with a colder - wintery feel to it for December.

thanks for your vote!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks sunnyd! The gentlemen would be in black tuxes, so we would kind of already have that - great idea!

Emerald lover - you are so handy to have around!!!! those centerpieces are beautiful - i don't know if i am too far to go get them, but i saved them just in case! thank you! I'll post the picture so everyone can see the centerpiece that she was selling....very pretty
36.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''m personally a huge fan of pops of color, so I choose #1! Plus, that''s my favorite shade of blue to wear, so I''m biased
1.gif

And you''ll get to wear blue shoes!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I would save the pics if you decide to do them yourself. Just an FYI...try and find manzanita second hand. Unless you are in cali its super expensive. Nettle Hollow has a warehouse in NYC but seriously soo much.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks EM1 - i did save thos pictures just in case - and good to know about the manzanita - they are so pretty!

Sorry, that picture didn't upload - trying again...

winterwonderlandceter.jpg

mynewobsession

Rough_Rock
I vote for #1 as well! Although I think both would be beautiful, I really love the blue dress. I''m also doing a wintery wedding theme (2/19/10) and our colors will be icy blue, deep plum purple with silver accents. I''m planning on doing centerpieces just like that!

Whatever you choose, I''m sure it will be pretty!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I was at a winter wedding, and they used red and whites and silvers... and the girls looked gorgeous, and they used poinsettas for all the decorations... it was almost mideival. Really very well done. MN.
I was also at another December wedding, and the colors were black and HOT pink. AZ.
It just depends on where it is taking place.... the peacock blue and silvers would give it a very cold feel. (Even periwinkle can feel wintery if done right.) The champagnes would make it feel warmer, even though it is in the cold.
I absolutely love faux fur wraps for winter weddings, and bird cage veils!

faux wrap.jpg

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 4:41:23 PM
I was at a winter wedding, and they used red and whites and silvers... and the girls looked gorgeous, and they used poinsettas for all the decorations... it was almost mideival. Really very well done. MN.
I was also at another December wedding, and the colors were black and HOT pink. AZ.
It just depends on where it is taking place.... the peacock blue and silvers would give it a very cold feel. (Even periwinkle can feel wintery if done right.) The champagnes would make it feel warmer, even though it is in the cold.
Like this!!!! very fun for a winter wedding!
36.gif

bird cage veil.jpg

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
i like the idea of the blue....champagne/silver can be very hard to pull off wiith some skin tones much less with pale winter skin.

I think a rich jewel tone like the peacock is very wintery and would fit into a winter wedding w/o being christmas-y nicely.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 4:41:23 PM
Thanks tlh! i am completely planning on wearing a faux fur (and maybe bridesmaids too)! we might do a fur wrap and a little muff for my flower girl too - love it!
28.gif
I like the birdcage veil too, but unfortunately i showed a picture of one to FI and there was a resounding "no" on his end! ummm....that's when i stopped showing him things
27.gif

Thanks La La and honey22 - that is exactly what i was worried about with the complexion and the color of the champagne...the blue would be easier to wear i agree. Otherwise Honey22, you are right and i would need to get pretty creative in finding a color in the flowers to punch it up a little.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
yay! I love the fur wraps at winter weddings! reminds me of my ice princess barbie!
36.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I''m getting married around Christmas too! I was thinking the silver/blue theme...mainly because I want to wear blue shoes
2.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, I am a huge fan of blue and that peacock blue color of the BM dress you posted is absolutely gorgeous!! I love how winter weddings can incorporate multiple shades of blue in a way that is perfect---your wedding is going to be beautiful!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of the teal/peacock blue. I think it will be much more flattering for your girls and a much prettier look overall.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 6:02:50 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Ooo, I am a huge fan of blue and that peacock blue color of the BM dress you posted is absolutely gorgeous!! I love how winter weddings can incorporate multiple shades of blue in a way that is perfect---your wedding is going to be beautiful!
thanks New England Lady! Obviously, your shoes were my inspiration - i have them saved from your thread and all my friends know about them :) My sister picked that color for the bridesmaids - she''s great with color!

AmberGretchen - thankyou! i was sort of leaning toward the blue anyway, but i wasn''t sure and kind of wavering back and forth. The input is making me feel much better!

As far as the BMaids dresses go, i am thinking of having them pick anything they want in that color as long as it''s the same length and material (satin). There are many choices for them....one of my maids was unsure that it would look ok for the pictures if they were all wearing different styles. I usually think this is really cute - anyone have any ideas or thoughts about this? we did this at my sister''s wedding and it looked pretty i thought. I am definitely more concerned with having every member of the bridal party feel their most beautiful than i am having it look as perfect as possible together. anyone have any thoughts on this? If it helps, i can post some styles for you gals that they can choose from.....you can see if you like them together. thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results