shape
carat
color
clarity

Colorless princess looks yellow in certain lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondlove4

Rough_Rock
Is it normal for an F color princess cut stone to look yellow in store lighting? I was very surprised to see what I thought was supposed a colorless stone show tints of yellow in store lighting, while stones of other cuts (e.g. round of F color) did not. Is that normal? The stone looked perfectly white in natural light but yellowish in the store. I was shocked to see that and am wondering if that''s true for all princess cuts... Thanks!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are little boxes of mirrors and windows.
Perhaps there was something yellow in that store it was reflecting like walls, merchandise, ceiling, shopping cart, or even the clothing you wore that day.

There IS a such thing as yellow fluorescence which is activated by UV light.
So I guess it is remotely possible that stores lights had a strong UV component and your diamond fluoresces yellow.
If your diamond came with a lab report check it for fluorescence.

I think something yellow in the store is a more likely explanation.

diamondlove4

Rough_Rock
Same thing didn''t seem to happen to the rounds though? Also, I should mention that lighting was Tiffany''s. Isn''t that store supposed to have the most optimal lighting to maximize the brilliance.. :-/

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Which lab graded the color? If it wasn''t GIA or AGS, it''s possible that the color may be a few grades off (H maybe) and you might be especially color-sensitive.

diamondlove4

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 12:56:03 AM
Author: jstarfireb
Which lab graded the color? If it wasn''t GIA or AGS, it''s possible that the color may be a few grades off (H maybe) and you might be especially color-sensitive.

The stone was at Tiffany''s and they grade their own stones. Is it possible that F color princess cut stones would reflect more yellow in certain lighting conditions than other shapes?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancy shapes can show more warmth and according to the cut quality of these Princess it is possible they were displaying this, especially if as Ken says there was something yellow or beige/ warm hued in the surroundings. However you can't properly judge until you view such a stone in many different lightings.

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
F colour is very white and should only have miniscule traces of tint that normally require someone with experience to detect.

Is it possible that the stone has yellow fluorescence?
23.gif

Otherwise, it''s either reflecting it''s surroundings or is not correctly graded.
.....or maybe it''s a massive stone of 3-4ct, in which case some colour might be slightly noticeable.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2009 5:34:49 AM
Author: FB.
F colour is very white and should only have miniscule traces of tint that normally require someone with experience to detect.

Is it possible that the stone has yellow fluorescence?
23.gif

Otherwise, it''s either reflecting it''s surroundings or is not correctly graded.
.....or maybe it''s a massive stone of 3-4ct, in which case some colour might be slightly noticeable.
I don''t think so at Tiffany, my money would be on them rejecting such diamonds.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I have only been in our Tiffany but ours has a lot of light colored wood which I could tell reflected on the diamonds. Sadly I don''t think ours was that well lit compared to other B&M stores I hav been in. The lights were much softer and had a yellow hue to them. So I would guess that the princesses just picked up on something in the store more than the rounds did.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s either the environment or the lights. It could be as subtle as what you or the people around you were wearing. As Kenny mentioned above, a diamond is a bundle of mirrors and you are seeing reflections of what’s around you. Shine a yellow light on a white wall and you’ll see yellow.

The princess is reflecting light from different areas in the room than the round is. Most rounds collect from higher angles, meaning the ceiling if you’re looking down on the stone, and most ceilings in jewelry stores are both not very colorful and chock full of bright white lights. Princesses tend to draw more light from low angles, which includes the walls, advertisements, furniture, yourself and the other people around you. Jewelry stores tend to avoid yellow in their décor for this reason but they have no control over what the customers are wearing and some stores have put more thought into this than others.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diamondlove4

Rough_Rock
Would you say that it''s likely that if this stone reflected some yellow in the store that it would also behave like that in other surroundings, such as indoors with office lights, etc? I''m just wondering if we were to buy this stone and pay a premium for F, it would be pretty disappointing when we''d be in indoor lighting such as at work and see that yellow tint.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A mirror will reflect whatever it sees 24 hours a day, yellow, blue, red, any color.

I would be astonished if you are so color sensitive that F diamonds look yellow to you because of their body color.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 3:43:24 PM
Author: diamondlove4
Would you say that it''s likely that if this stone reflected some yellow in the store that it would also behave like that in other surroundings, such as indoors with office lights, etc? I''m just wondering if we were to buy this stone and pay a premium for F, it would be pretty disappointing when we''d be in indoor lighting such as at work and see that yellow tint.
It honestly depends on the lighting and coloring of the office around you from what I have noticed. Not a pro here, just speaking as a color sensitive person. Some lightings make me see more color than others no matter what the shape is.

Honestly if you are looking at princess stones is there any reason why it has to come from Tiffany? Just asking because I saw the settings for princess stones at Tiffany and they didn''t have anything special about them that would make me want to buy from them. If I do decide on a princess stone I won''t be buying from them. I just cannot justify their insane mark up compared to other places.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 4:04:17 PM
Author: kenny
A mirror will reflect whatever it sees 24 hours a day, yellow, blue, red, any color.

I would be astonished if you are so color sensitive that F diamonds look yellow to you because of their body color.

I kind of have to agree with Kenny. I''m not sure there is any way to own a diamond that would be devoid of all color at all times because that''s what they do, reflect the surroundings. Short of redecorating homes and offices to have absolutely no pigment, it will always reflect the colors around it.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep it should not show yellow, I dont see any yellow in my I colored princess
5.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe, the F was short for Fancy Colour. Just kidding
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results