shape
carat
color
clarity

Colorless Emerald Or Fancy Intense Yellow Radiant?

Which stone would you pick for a men's wedding band?

• Colorless Emerald

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Fancy Intense Yellow Radiant

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
A choice of a colorless emerald or a fancy intense yellow radiant. The stone will go into a men's wedding band. Both stones are well cut and have similar dimensions, around 5.5 x 4 x 2.5 mm. Probably will be tension set into a 5.5 - 6 mm white metal band. Curious what PS thinks. :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know. Do you have a picture of the Yellow stone? I'm leaning that way but it really depends on the individual stone.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I have an emerale d so I would choose Yellow Radiant? Not fair though need to see both stones.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

fiy.png

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on if you are using platinum, white gold or yellow gold. I would pair the colourless emerald with white metals and yellow radiant with yellow. My vote would be yellow radiant in yellow gold :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like yellow stones in platinum. As long as they can stand up to it, and that one looks like it can. I think my vote is for the yellow.

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would be afraid the yellow radiant would be lost in a yellow gold ring. I personally love natural colored diamonds and would choose the yellow in a heartbeat in a platinum man's band.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does it behave against white metal? That would be the deciding factor for me. If it is able to hold up on its own, I'd almost always choose colour over colourless, even though I love step cuts.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I may have to order both stones and compare them in person. :lol:

Would the tilt window in the radiant be enough of a bother to alter your vote?

fiytilt.png

fiytilt2.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have it set in a yellow metal, it would help minimize that tilt window. So.....pictures of the EC next please. :halo:

ETA
Seriously, with the stone being 5 mm thereabouts, the tilt window is probably only 1 mm large and will look smaller once set, so I would not be overly concerned with it.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
OK would this sway your decision? From what I gather this is about as good as it gets?

Thank you Chrono for your threads on your search for your EC. They have been very helpful!

e.png

_10444.jpg

_10445.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I chose the colorless diamond for a mans ring. Whlle the yellow is beautiful, a white diamond would look more beautiful to me in a mans ring. I think it is classy looking. It will be recognized as a diamond while the yellow probably won't be. This is a special ring and I love a guy in white diamonds, yellow not so much.

BTW I would choose a large yellow diamond for myself over a white diamond, but a man looks best in white diamonds.IMO

On one of my first trips to Vegas when we were sitting in the Sports Book area i saw the first man I ever saw with a diamond ring. It sparkled so much i couldn't take my eyes off of it. Gorgeous. Not a big one either.

Annette

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
i'm a sucker for step cuts... i also prefer color in my stones... so if you can find one, i'd go for a fancy yellow emerald cut... if not, i'd go for the yellow radiant... i wear a light pink radiant in my wedding band... and yes i'm a guy... :)

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I'm not in love with the faceting of the EC so I'd go with the beautiful radiant. Or maybe an Octavia from Good Old Gold?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your opinions! I see we are evenly split ... :lol:

acebruin said:
i'm a sucker for step cuts... i also prefer color in my stones... so if you can find one, i'd go for a fancy yellow emerald cut... if not, i'd go for the yellow radiant... i wear a light pink radiant in my wedding band... and yes i'm a guy... :)
I would absolutely consider a fancy intense yellow emerald ... but have yet to come across a well cut one in the right size and acceptable clarity. I imagine it would be harder to find than a needle in a haystack.

Rosebloom said:
I'm not in love with the faceting of the EC so I'd go with the beautiful radiant. Or maybe an Octavia from Good Old Gold?
What don't you love about the faceting in the EC? Any suggestions for alternatives? I have considered an Octavia, but my wife is not a fan of the patterning of square step cuts.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi there,

Do u wear any (gold) jewelry at the moment? I ask as it can help u decide what colour metals work well for your skin tone. And also what colour stones may work for you. There is a thread on the men's ring forum where a guy made a yellow radiant in rose and then changed it for a (white) colorless emerald cut. I am on my phone so I can't link it for you.

If u dont wear(much) jewelry, have some fun at the jewelry store. Try different metals, and different stones. All the combinations that I can think of.

I love step cuts in particular asscher with the Octavia a close second. I also like OEC. I have a colorless asscher in a semi tension and lucky enough to have a slightly yellow OEC in 18k YG. And really lucky that both colors work on my skin tone.

when deciding for myself - my first choice is a white/colourless diamond and always will be first choice when looking at engagement/wedding rings. coloured diamonds would be to add to my collection. i have colorless asscher in 18 white gold. I didnt like the patina of platinum, thoguh i read that the propeties of certain platinum combitations are far better than 18k WG in terms of wear/ scratching. Also with 18k WG, there needs to be upkeep of having rhodium plated or leaving it the buttery unplated colour. Fortunately for me, the 18k WG has stayed the same white colour after a year, and 3yrs for a different ring it is starting to lose the plating but silvery looking still. Whereas with platinum, there is only the patina you have to consider.

That is what works for me. You may be differnt after you have had a play in the store, and when u have the 2 diamonds in your hand to compare.

On a side note, if u like the Octavia and your wife doesn't, does it matter? You are the one wearing it right? :cheeky:

Enjoy the process!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a colorless diamond for a man's wedding band, and I absolutely love emerald cuts, asschers, and Octavias for a man's ring!

Yellow is great for a right hand ring, but I am not in love with crushed ice radiant cuts in any color.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like the scales have tipped towards the colorless emerald overnight? :naughty:

The band will definitely be a white metal. Have been wearing a platinum neck chain for years and it still looks the most natural metal color on me. It replaced a yellow gold neck chain that didn't look quite right. Have worn cheap <$20 titanium and tungsten carbide bands in different widths over the past 2 years to figure out what I want in the final band.

The titanium band is prone to scratches and the color is a bit grey. The tungsten carbide band still looks brand new, but the color is a bit too dark. So ideally the band should be a metal with a color similar to platinum and scratch resistance similar to tungsten carbide. Cobalt chrome seems to fit the bill.

Haven't had the opportunity to view an Octavia in person yet, but I don't think I'll like it enough over good emerald cuts to risk the wrath of my wife :twisted: sticking something she dislikes in her face everyday. ;))

I didn't think I would like crushed ice radiant cuts either, until I saw a well cut fancy intense yellow in person with minimum amounts of tilt window. It looked like a nugget filled with endless gold glitter that just keeps grabbing the attention of your eyes. The image has been seared into my mind since, and I'm pretty sure I'll buy one eventually. :lol:

E B

Ideal_Rock
Scarlett1|1380240492|3527994 said:
Depends on if you are using platinum, white gold or yellow gold. I would pair the colourless emerald with white metals and yellow radiant with yellow.

I agree with this. Not that yellow diamonds don't look good in white metals, but I think yellow in yellow/white in white does better to 'enhance' at and under the half carat mark.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results