shape
carat
color
clarity

colored stone prices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i am considering some pairs of colored stones for earrings. rubies 2 (+) carats total weight. one pair is 6500 and one is 7500. The color is fabulous and they are sparkly. Any thoughts on the price? Thanks in advance I dont know where else to look for pricinng info

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price depends on many things:
1. Has the ruby been treated in any way? What treatments did it undergo?
2. What is the tone, hue and saturation of the rubies?
3. How is the cut of the rubies (windows, zoning, extinction, etc)
4. Sometimes, location plays a part in pricing too, but not always.

I would recommend having an independent appraiser take a look at them.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Insist on acceptable documentation of enhancements, treatments, or the lack of these elements before making a committment. Many really good appraisers are not familiar enough with the variety of potential treatments and few would have the equipment to detect many or most treatments. They and you need to rely upon reports highly technical such as those from AGTA, AGL, Gubelin, GIA, etc.

There is no shortage of rather costly rubies in the 1 carat each size range. A few are untreated, but most are. Prices are all over the place since the market for colored gems is far less formalized than what exists for diamonds. A good shopper can find lots to choose from, but it is very difficult to compare quality by asking price. An expert can help you along with looking sufficiently at many items in order to make a smart choice of what really pleases you the most.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results