shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored Lab Diamonds.. Will Prices Come Down? Can Color Fade Over Time?

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been reading all the discussions about falling LG diamond prices, much of it due to the marked just being flooded with them. Price descreases don’t seem to be happening with the colored stones, especially pink. I realize that pink ( my favorite) is one of the rarest colors in EMD. I understand ( somewhat) the process of how earth grown pink diamond is formed. Is it more time consuming to produce in LGD than, perhaps, yellow or blue? Also, I noticed that many of the top quality sellers, such as WhiteFlash or BGD, don’t offer colored LGD, so that means no opportunity to consider an ideal or excellent cut colored LGD. . Are the post growth treatments not reliable? Has anyone here ever had any experience with color fading in a colored LGD ?
I know I’m asking lots of questions in one thread but I haven’t found much written about specifically about colored lab diamonds. . I can’t be the only PS member who would love some expert advice/knowledge/ insight regarding this part of the LGD market.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Everyone is shooting for colorless stones right now.
Treated cvd pinks are around but haven't caught on in a large scale yet.
Probably because of the as grown silliness and pinks are all treated after growth.
The color as far as I know does not fade.

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
HI Karl and Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.
Every time I see (what appears to be ) a lovely, rose pink cushion or radiant LGD , I bookmark it and wait for the price to drop. Still waiting! If pinks haven‘t really caught on yet, does that mean there will be more produced or just more demand for what is available? I think I need a crystal ball!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
You can get a good idea where things are going by browsing Etsy. Colors, shapes, and prices have been ahead of mainstream sellers by many months in the past. A lot of the wares seem to be practice cuts or trial runs or imperfect items rejected by more well known vendors.

I bought a reasonably priced purple-pink from New World Diamonds back when the mainstream sellers were only offering orangy pinks. Maybe check them out.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Karl and Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.
Every time I see (what appears to be ) a lovely, rose pink cushion or radiant LGD , I bookmark it and wait for the price to drop. Still waiting! If pinks haven‘t really caught on yet, does that mean there will be more produced or just more demand for what is available? I think I need a crystal ball!
It's kinda a chicken and and egg.
You need demand to get supply but you need supply to get demand.
I think whats out there is some players testing the market.
They are not selling well but there is no competition so they are sitting on the higher prices.
When it comes down to it there is no real reason for much of any premium for them long term.
Its not like they are rare like mined untreated pinks and other colors.

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
You can get a good idea where things are going by browsing Etsy. Colors, shapes, and prices have been ahead of mainstream sellers by many months in the past. A lot of the wares seem to be practice cuts or trial runs or imperfect items rejected by more well known vendors.

I bought a reasonably priced purple-pink from New World Diamonds back when the mainstream sellers were only offering orangy pinks. Maybe check them out.

Hi, and thanks for the Etsy suggestion. I hadn’t thought about looking there but will definitely check it out!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi!
Karl kinda hit it on the nose.
There’s so much less demand for colored LGD’s that there’s not a lot of competition.
Plus with pinks in particular, it’s tough to get a pure pink non orangy color.
Same for yellows.
So in those cases I haven’t seen any substantial price reductions.
The treatments I’ve seen are all permanent. And of course an “As Grown” lab colored diamond can’t change either.
Hope this helps!!

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
Hi!
Karl kinda hit it on the nose.
There’s so much less demand for colored LGD’s that there’s not a lot of competition.
Plus with pinks in particular, it’s tough to get a pure pink non orangy color.
Same for yellows.
So in those cases I haven’t seen any substantial price reductions.
The treatments I’ve seen are all permanent. And of course an “As Grown” lab colored diamond can’t change either.
Hope this helps!!

Thanks, and yes, it does. I’m making the whole process harder on myself , I know, by looking for a certain size & shape ( and very good cut) to fit an existing setting. I haven’t found anything under $5500 and the diamond images I see in FVP color are just all over the place from very light pink to watermelon! IDK if the colors I’m seeing on my monitor can even be trusted,

If I find anything that’s a possibility, I will be sure to ask for advice here on PS. I always enjoy watching how all of you PS experts help other members pick out lovely stones. I‘m not in a big hurry and hoping that pink prices might nudge
down at least a little bit. For awhile there, I was worried about the Barbie movie making everyone crazy for pink LGD ( ha ha)!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
snip
and the diamond images I see in FVP color are just all over the place from very light pink to watermelon! IDK if the colors I’m seeing on my monitor can even be trusted,

This is such an issue, particularly with the rotating videos and other sorts of "standardized" imagery I see online. It's so easy to manipulate the color in those types of photo setups.
I have to select the pinks in person....and when looking at them in front of you, really a small percentage have "the look"...bubble gum sort of pinky pink.

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
That’s my holy grail…..pinky pink!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results