Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored Gem Stones??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Yes I know this site is intended for information about diamonds, but my interest in diamonds has spawned an interest in colored gem stones. I really know very little in this area. Here are my questions:

1) Cut; is the cut of a colored gem stone as important as a diamond?
2) Cut; do you determine quality of cut based on the same principles of diamonds?
3) Where is a good source of information, internet or book, for a consumer to learn more about finding quality colored gem stones?

Thanks

Rook

Shiny_Rock
sorry leonid, please delete one of these post.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Cut Nut. It seems like colored gems are even more complicated than diamonds:knockout: From that short description is seems like the cut, is very dependant on the type of stone and the actual stone. I have read elsewhere that some gems need to be cut around certain inculsions, which makes it even more involved. An ideal of a book worth buying to give an overview on differect gems and the qualities between a good gem and a native cut gem?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Pala International has a good site for learning about the different colored stones. They have "buyer's guides" which are very informative. Their site address is http://www.palagems.com/home.htm

You're right about colored stones being more complex. There are many nuances which can mean a great deal of difference in value.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring
    Love Conquers All- Quarantined and Engaged
    Love Conquers All- Quarantined and Engaged
    Summer Jewelry Trends 2020
    Summer Jewelry Trends 2020

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.