shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored gem beauties (lab-created)

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
This comparison might be more helpful:
- The tiny stacker is my Luc Yen cobalt spinel (Khau KA mine)...bezel darkens it a bit :(
- Lab cushion colbat spinel
- Small round is a hauyne

IMG_20200628_105215.jpg

@lilmosun could I please trouble you for more pics of your lab spinel? :) I have been sitting on the fence about one and would love to see more pics if you have them!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a number of lab created beauties in the latest mail drop from Uli of Osirisgems fame in case anyone is interested.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just bought this little man-made cobalt Spinel from Uli, 0.78ct, cut by one of his students. The colour is amazing and I like the unusual shape and cut.

20200730_155450.jpg

Much more affordable than the earth-mined version! :lol-2:

There is a bigger one at over 3ct+, now sold, however I did not like the cut which is opposite bar cut.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@dk168 Oh you're such an enabler! :evil2: :lol: As I am being 'forced' I guess I will have a look! :D

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Before I bought this, i was looking for a treated stone for my mom, who fell in love with a dark red 2 ct "ruby."

I found this little guy for a steal. A 2ct lab ruby, I hope will steal her heart. Hoping to stop by a jeweler tomorrow to have it set. Then I can wear it for a couple times before giving it to her for her birthday! :lol-2: Looks a lot brighter than the pic shows but the other pictures show pink, which there really isn't. It goes from scarlet to Coke can red. 20200730_160737.jpg 20200730_161110.jpg

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@Obscura Looks like a lovely colour. :kiss2: Mine really glows in the sunshine!
What are your plans for the setting? :D

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
This one is gorgeous in the sunshine too, but not quite on par with yours. :)

My mom likes the basic yellow gold solitaire band. So I'll be setting it that way, as low to the finger as possible with 4 prongs. My wallet is grateful. :lol-2:

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Well my mom's ruby is waiting to get set at a jeweler's. And I will say I'm glad I shopped around!

The first was a classic jewelry store, send things away to a bench, mark up like crazy.

They wanted to charge me $750 for a simple, thin 14k yellow gold solitaire setting! Nope!

So then I hop over to a little hole in the wall, goldsmith's shop, and tell him the same, and quoted $145.

I'll give you only one guess where it's at! :lol:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Well my mom's ruby is waiting to get set at a jeweler's. And I will say I'm glad I shopped around!

The first was a classic jewelry store, send things away to a bench, mark up like crazy.

They wanted to charge me $750 for a simple, thin 14k yellow gold solitaire setting! Nope!

So then I hop over to a little hole in the wall, goldsmith's shop, and tell him the same, and quoted $145.

I'll give you only one guess where it's at! :lol:

Even at $750 you did better than me! I went to 2 jewellers for the same thing.. plain yellow gold band where I would provide the stone. Both around $1500USD. I nearly died of shock!

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Even at $750 you did better than me! I went to 2 jewellers for the same thing.. plain yellow gold band where I would provide the stone. Both around $1500USD. I nearly died of shock!

:-o:-o:-o:-o:-o Nope. Gold prices aren't that high yet. Lol

There are perks to living in a semi-rural area. You can find the affordable mom-and-pop stores a lot easier.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lilmosun could I please trouble you for more pics of your lab spinel? :) I have been sitting on the fence about one and would love to see more pics if you have them!

I would be happy to help but not sure what you are looking for...lighting? It's still not set :)

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I would be happy to help but not sure what you are looking for...lighting? It's still not set :)

Yes please! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D Different lighting would be really appreciated!!
Just so that I can get more of a sense of the colour. Do you see much of the aqua/teal flash with your eyes?
Thank yoooouuu!!!!

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
Here’s my little lab ruby heart, from the same vendor as @Obscura. I love rubies but will never be able to afford an earth mined one. Anyone have any inexpensive setting ideas?

B128EDB0-DD01-48A0-9942-2F45B1E53E73.jpeg

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Saw this one! And as expected it has a really pretty color! A tiny halo would look really pretty!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@sydneyatl What are the measurements? There are a few places I can think of for settings.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@sydneyatl Have a look at Moosecry settings on Etsy. Additionally if you want someone to make a simple setting and set the stone, lots of PS'ers have used Daniel M on Etsy.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh, I’ve been trying to find the moosecry guy for ages. Someone posted about him here months ago and I meant to bookmark it and forgot, and then couldn’t remember the exact name and thought it was moose ice cream all the time...no Etsy listings by that name. Woohoo- thank you! I’m guessing I would need a 10 x 10 setting?

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@sydneyatl I love ice cream but moose flavour! :lol:
Take a looka at what there is. I think the setting sizes can be tweaked if you contact the vendor. They also offer a stone setting service.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I decided I better cut back my spending for a while so settled for a ring from Overstock for now instead of having one made. It says "created pink and white sapphire" but not sure if it really means that or just CZs. Maybe it is really created sapphires because it was a little pricey for 10k gold. I'll post "real" pics when it arrives.

Miadora-10k-Yellow-Gold-Created-Pink-and-White-Sapphire-Flower-Cocktail-Ring-d7fb3bcc-6681-4f5...jpg

Here it is in real life. I think I'll return it because it's a little over the top for me. I really like the center stone, though.

pink ring.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here it is in real life. I think I'll return it because it's a little over the top for me. I really like the center stone, though.

pink ring.jpg

I really like this center stone but the setting, while fun, is too “costume jewelry” looking in my opinion. The clear created sapphires are too large and look more glassy than diamond-ish.

Now I'm thinking about getting a different setting for the pink stone. Of course that means no refund but I love the look of this particular stone.

Would that be a ridiculous amount of money for a created sapphire from Overstock or okay, do you all think? (About $500)

Also, can anyone estimate the pink stone measurements by the photos by any chance? (It doesn’t say and I am out of town with no measuring instruments right now).

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like this center stone but the setting, while fun, is too “costume jewelry” looking in my opinion. The clear created sapphires are too large and look more glassy than diamond-ish.

Now I'm thinking about getting a different setting for the pink stone. Of course that means no refund but I love the look of this particular stone.

Would that be a ridiculous amount of money for a created sapphire from Overstock or okay, do you all think? (About $500)

Also, can anyone estimate the pink stone measurements by the photos by any chance? (It doesn’t say and I am out of town with no measuring instruments right now).

51C4D5DB-1C54-4C6B-8299-3654BB721723.jpeg
My guess is 11x9 for the pink stone
Someone else will have to chime in on the pricing, but I think starting off would be finding if it’s really a lab grown corundum or a stimulant.
And then how hard/easy it will be to find the exact same color/faceting if your heart is set on this exact one.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
@seaurchin I got the following lab pink sapphire from Jeff White: 11.52 x 8.16 mm; took 7 weeks pre-pandemic, and was under your budget. Might be a good option? You could get him to do any cut you wanted. I may be letting mine go if you're interested, but anyway, wanted to chime in getting a precision cut sapphire is not necessarily going to have to be $2k+ plus. And it would likely be smarter to get him to custom cut something loose for you for $500 than keep the Overstock ring which may have suspicious origins. SAP502A.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary of Finewater Gems listed a few lab stones. :kiss2:

I loved the look of the Paraiba-coloured cushion - I hope it has gone to another PSer's good home!

He still has some Paraiba-coloured YAGs that would cut 8mm stones if anyone is interested - I asked him, and hopefully, I shall have a 8mm cushion from him. :kiss2: There s no way I could afford one in that size, colour and clarity, so YAG it has to be! :lol-2:

He has YAG in peach, lavender and colourless too, in case anyone is interested.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin I agree with @Grymera about contacting the likes of Jeff W, or Gary to see if they have anything that may suit, or ask them if they could get hold of suitable materials.

Don't think Gary has a minimum custom work price like Jeff does.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone. Update: I've decided to wear it as a "fun" ring for now, then get another setting when I get around to it. I kept coming back to "But I really like this center stone."

Will definitely keep the good advice given here on board for next time, though. :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
Here’s my little lab ruby heart, from the same vendor as @Obscura. I love rubies but will never be able to afford an earth mined one. Anyone have any inexpensive setting ideas?

B128EDB0-DD01-48A0-9942-2F45B1E53E73.jpeg

I only have two heart-shaped gems, and they're both purple/lavender in color. The top spinel is inexpensively set in a design I sketched and Daniel M executed. It's a rose gold bezel and silver with burnished diamonds for the wings. I remember the setting cost somewhere around $200. The amethyst on my pinky was set into a classic solitaire setting in silver by myself, and the silver setting only cost $20 or so. But, if your heart is not a calibrated size, the standard silver settings might not fit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results