shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored gem beauties (lab-created)

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I guess there’s different quality in the rough material. How fast was it grown? How much care was taken to grow it? So it really depends on the rough material which definitely can be different from factory to factory

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are several different processes used to grow the crystals, and the cost of the material based on the process used is often quite stark. Much of the sapphire and ruby is made by the Verneuil process sometimes called Flame Fusion. This is in most cases the least expensive method. One major disadvantage of this method is uneven color, especially in blues where the color is located at the outer edge of the boule. Another method used for sapphire that produces a better crystal is the Hydrothermal method. Stones grown by this method require complex equipment for a lab to identify as lab created. Prices of the rough from this method are 33 to 100 times more expense per ct than Flame fusion, depending on the color.
The Czochralski process is another expensive process that produces stones that almost impossible to distinguish from natural stones. Prices are similar to Hyrdrothermal. Some of the spinel I cut is from this method. There are a few other methods, but these 3 are the most commonly used.

There are other materials that don't have the same composition and properties of natural stones, these resemble the natural crystals in appearance only.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lessics, and especially Gene for the responses =)2
That is so informative. It explains a lot!

sunflowerstate

Shiny_Rock
There are several different processes used to grow the crystals, and the cost of the material based on the process used is often quite stark. Much of the sapphire and ruby is made by the Verneuil process sometimes called Flame Fusion. This is in most cases the least expensive method. One major disadvantage of this method is uneven color, especially in blues where the color is located at the outer edge of the boule. Another method used for sapphire that produces a better crystal is the Hydrothermal method. Stones grown by this method require complex equipment for a lab to identify as lab created. Prices of the rough from this method are 33 to 100 times more expense per ct than Flame fusion, depending on the color.
The Czochralski process is another expensive process that produces stones that almost impossible to distinguish from natural stones. Prices are similar to Hyrdrothermal. Some of the spinel I cut is from this method. There are a few other methods, but these 3 are the most commonly used.

There are other materials that don't have the same composition and properties of natural stones, these resemble the natural crystals in appearance only.

Do you sell hydrothermal sapphires?

aurum

Rough_Rock
My jeweller finally finished the setting and i got my ring with a nice lab sapphire from Bryan (stag and finch) Princess Diana style!
Very happy with how it turned out! the stones on the halo are 0.025ct Lab diamonds bought from Ouros Jewels! All made using old gold from my recently passed grandma so it has a special memories attached and make it even more precious :)
6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg
and the photo that showcases the sapphire best made by bryan:
3.jpg

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@aurum Gosh that is stunning. Stag and Finch stones are lovely and it is perfect in your ring. :kiss2: And so fantastic to remember your grandmother.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
My jeweller finally finished the setting and i got my ring with a nice lab sapphire from Bryan (stag and finch) Princess Diana style!
Very happy with how it turned out! the stones on the halo are 0.025ct Lab diamonds bought from Ouros Jewels! All made using old gold from my recently passed grandma so it has a special memories attached and make it even more precious :)
6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg
3.jpg

Looks gorgeous!! It turned out perfectly!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@lilmosun Absolutely beautiful. What are your plans for the lab spinel? :mrgreen2:

Cognition

Rough_Rock
My lab pad set along with my 6.8 mm cushion cut cobalt blue lab spinel (both from Gene @ Precision Gem)

IMG_20200627_163734.jpg

Beautiful
how accurate is the color in the picture? looks more like cornflower sapphire than cobalt spinel tho

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful
how accurate is the color in the picture? looks more like cornflower sapphire than cobalt spinel tho

Thank you for asking...I would hate for someone to pass on one of these because of my photo.

I actually wondered the same thing in Gene's photo but bought based on the video...I think the facets throw the color off in photos. Colors/tones vary so much when I go from device-to-device..that I've give up the art of photo taking :)

But to answer your question - It definitely is bright neon hauyne-like blue found in cobalt spinel.

I tried to take this picture so you can see three together:

- Double halo ring is a ceylon sapphire. IRL it has a very slight purple modifier because it is unheated.
- The tiny stacker is my Luc Yen cobalt spinel (Khau KA mine). It is a little darkened by the bezel setting (which I regret by what does one do with such a wee one?).
- The loose stone the coblat lab spinel from Gene.

Both the geniuine and lab cobalt spinel are a pure bright neon blue compared to the sapphire.

IMG_20200628_101555.jpg

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my cobalt lab spinel! The colour really is a knockout. It's currently lounging in a basic silver setting while I decide on what to do with it as it deserves a setting upgrade!

15933600600428711065848381592510.jpg

Cognition

Rough_Rock
This comparison might be more helpful:
- The tiny stacker is my Luc Yen cobalt spinel (Khau KA mine)...bezel darkens it a bit :(
- Lab cushion colbat spinel
- Small round is a hauyne

IMG_20200628_105215.jpg

Thank you for asking...I would hate for someone to pass on one of these because of my photo.

I actually wondered the same thing in Gene's photo but bought based on the video...I think the facets throw the color off in photos. Colors/tones vary so much when I go from device-to-device..that I've give up the art of photo taking :)

But to answer your question - It definitely is bright neon hauyne-like blue found in cobalt spinel.

I tried to take this picture so you can see three together:

- Double halo ring is a ceylon sapphire. IRL it has a very slight purple modifier because it is unheated.
- The tiny stacker is my Luc Yen cobalt spinel (Khau KA mine). It is a little darkened by the bezel setting (which I regret by what does one do with such a wee one?).
- The loose stone the coblat lab spinel from Gene.

Both the geniuine and lab cobalt spinel are a pure bright neon blue compared to the sapphire.

IMG_20200628_101555.jpg

gorgeous :kiss2::kiss2:

btw what cut is your spinel? gene's square cushion?

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
btw what cut is your spinel? gene's square cushion?

Yes, his square cushion :)

@lilmosun What are your plans for the lab spinel? :mrgreen2:

Sorry...just saw this. I have no specific plans...given it's a lab stone, it will probably be a stock or preloved setting with diamonds. Not in a rush since I am not wearing any jewelry while stuck at home ;(

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg
3.jpg

Beautiful @aurum! Is that their periwinkle blue colour?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking about getting a lab-created hot pink sapphire, 12X10.

Does anyone know if Chatham is precision cut? I didn't see it stated on any of the info. I found about them.

Or if it even matters that much if it's precision cut?

Or anywhere to get a nice stone for less? (On the site below, it would be $2,054 but I thought I saw this size listed for around $1,500 somewhere, though maybe not Chatham brand).

Or anything else about it?

Thanks. :)

ETA: I like the antique cushion cut best but I think I might find more options for settings if I get an oval, which is nice too.

And the recommended businesses are Precision Gem, Stag and Finch, and Jeff White, correct?

Last edited:

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@seaurchin I don't think the Chatham material is precision cut like the vendors below you have listed.
Stag and Finch on their website have some pink/purple material. It would be worth reaching out to all vendors. Precision Gem advertises hot pink material ($80/carat). There is also a gem calculator. I think the pricing is better than Chatham!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking about getting a lab-created hot pink sapphire, 12X10.

Does anyone know if Chatham is precision cut? I didn't see it stated on any of the info. I found about them.

Or if it even matters that much if it's precision cut?

Or anywhere to get a nice stone for less? (On the site below, it would be $2,054 but I thought I saw this size listed for around $1,500 somewhere, though maybe not Chatham brand).

Or anything else about it?

Thanks. :)

ETA: I like the antique cushion cut best but I think I might find more options for settings if I get an oval, which is nice too.

And the recommended businesses are Precision Gem, Stag and Finch, and Jeff White, correct?

Any of those vendors are great from what I've seen! I like Scott Laborie as well but most here don't use him. He is Geoscooter on Instagram. I rarely buy but when I do it's from him. He's very affordable and I like his cutting style. I actually have his version of an OMC and love it.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Niffler and MeowMeow. I should be ready to buy in about a month. Will definitely take your advice on board.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin, I think @Niffler75 is correct that Chatham isn't precision cut to the same level as the other vendors you listed, but.......I have seen some reasonably good pictures of rings that ladies have had made with Chatham sapphires in them, and they do look, to me, to be pretty well-cut for the price. However, they weren't 12x10; I think the largest was a 7x9 or 8x10 oval, but it is a lovely ring that gets lots of compliments whenever she posts it. I've been thinking about a ring with a lab sapphire or ruby, and was planning on getting a Chatham first to see if I felt like the cut was "good enough" - as my bling funds are pretty limited! :shifty: - and if not, return it and try the next level up.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary at Finewater Gems listed this beauty on his FB page, in case anyone is interested.

20200721_011150.jpg

DK :))

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg
3.jpg

I think this turned out beautiful. Bryan does such great work. I love it!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I decided I better cut back my spending for a while so settled for a ring from Overstock for now instead of having one made. It says "created pink and white sapphire" but not sure if it really means that or just CZs. Maybe it is really created sapphires because it was a little pricey for 10k gold. I'll post "real" pics when it arrives.

Miadora-10k-Yellow-Gold-Created-Pink-and-White-Sapphire-Flower-Cocktail-Ring-d7fb3bcc-6681-4f5...jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results