shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored gem beauties (lab-created)

rockymtnhigh

Rough_Rock
Gene can custom cut a lab pad. $70/carat according to his website.

I have seen this on his website. I love the trillion cut and he doesn't offer that. But I am contemplating ordering a lab Alexandrite. :)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@windblownhair Gorgeous ring and pendant! I’m super impressed with JuliaB’s work as of late. Enjoy!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to go for that spinel but it was gone. People are fast!

You’re not kidding! All the lab gems are already gone! :shock: His stuff goes so quickly. It took me 3-4 attempts to get my first piece from him.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted the purple sapphire. Wow all of the gems are so pretty. Some people got lucky!

They went fast! I wanted a few of them tbh but I behaved, since I have a project in the works. But that tsav yag was very tempting.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Julia B projects came in yesterday! The pendant is an OEC YAG and the ring is an OMC YAG.

D2CB9B83-DADE-4B36-86E4-5F953EB6FCA4.jpeg 7E428F3E-70AF-4692-BD59-583C950A180A.jpeg 72033615-9DEB-447C-82CF-C946549C16BC.jpeg

I don’t know how I missed this but damn, those are killer! :love::love::love: I love that you went with old cuts and rose gold was the perfect choice.

After seeing this, I really need to set my paraiba colored yag.

littledebbie81

Shiny_Rock
Last edited:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Here are pics of the electric cobalt blue spinel on the hand and in a ring setting in various lighting in case folks were curious. :)

Hard to capture the electric glow factor. Pictures don’t do it justice. 0F8286FD-0FA7-4A84-AA9C-1599D1A2A137.jpeg

That's AMAZING! So jealous! :kiss2:

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Morning everyone! :wavey: Has anyone heard of colour change YAG? It shifts from a peach to pink colour.
I may have the opportunity to buy some rough. Thanks

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Morning everyone! :wavey: Has anyone heard of colour change YAG? It shifts from a peach to pink colour.
I may have the opportunity to buy some rough. Thanks

No but if the price is right and you like the color why not? It sounds like it would be a pretty colour!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@MeowMeow I've been doing some research and apparently it's Russian material and quite uncommon. :think:

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Well I am extremely excited. My cutter who I bought my lab ruby from has some old rough colour change YAG material from Russia (that I mentioned above). I was going to buy some of the rough and get it cut at a later date but between us he has agreed to cut the rough!
He is going to precision cut the material and stones should be in the region of 5 carats!
My birthday is in August so am planning my birthday present! :appl:

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don’t know how I missed this but damn, those are killer! :love::love::love: I love that you went with old cuts and rose gold was the perfect choice.

After seeing this, I really need to set my paraiba colored yag.
Thank you! I’ve never had a colored stone in an old cut before and just had to go for it.

Paraiba colored yag sounds delicious:love:
Well I am extremely excited. My cutter who I bought my lab ruby from has some old rough colour change YAG material from Russia (that I mentioned above). I was going to buy some of the rough and get it cut at a later date but between us he has agreed to cut the rough!
He is going to precision cut the material and stones should be in the region of 5 carats!
My birthday is in August so am planning my birthday present! :appl:
Ohhhhh that’s so cool! I can’t wait to see how it comes out! And nice you’re starting early with Covid slowing everything down.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@windblownhair I 'discovered' my cutter online. He sells loose stones and is a lapidary 'hobbyist' but has been cutting for nearly 20 years I think and refining his skills. He has been working at home and if you'll pardon the pun is a bit of a 'hidden gem'. :roll::lol:
I think he is cutting a number of stones from the material so shall post pics.
You usually don't see the colour change YAG available! It's old material I think!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
So this is the colour change YAG I was talking about. Its cut in a modified Sakura based on a Voltolini design and is 4.5ct.

Quick photos from my cutter so not great resolution but this is flawless material and will I share pics when I have it! ;)2 There is more material available I think so if anyone is interested........!

il_300x300.2304454290_fg79.jpg

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s mine!
I inquired about a more orange pad because the other lab pads are way too pink for me. He found some old rough and cut this. It’s bigger than I initially had in mind but couldn’t pass it up!

Congrats! It looks killer! :love:
I really love the slightly more orange tones on it. I hope you share more pics, once you have it in hand. So, so excited for you.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I hope that this is the right place to ask this question.. but since lab stones are chemically the same as natural stones, is it safe to assume that all lab stones would be of the same quality? Aside from cut, is there any reason why the quality of the stone itself would vary from vendor to vendor?

I'm seeing significant differences in the price of "lab" stones and was wondering if some of the stones labelled "lab" were fake i.e. glass, or if it was due to some other reason.

Thanks! I am new to gemstones in general, so I'm just learning :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results