shape
carat
color
clarity

colored engagement ring suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jmdragna

Rough_Rock
I know these threads pop up frequently, and I looked through some of the archives, but I couldn''t find what i was looking for so I apologize if this thread is a bit redundant.

Anyway, I want to ask my girlfriend to marry me, but I''m not sure about what ring to get. I don''t want a diamond center stone. I was wondering if you guys could suggest some rare stones that are also strong. I like taaffeite, but i''m worried it will break. I can probably go as high as 7k, but i was hoping to keep it closer to 5k. She likes antiques as far a settings are concerned, and it doesn''t have to be a huge stone as she has small hands and typically wears jewelry that is a little understated.

Strength/rareness issues aside, I''m interested in something in the blue/green part of the spectrum, or in the ''pink'' part of the spectrum (although pink may technically be less intense red?). However, I''m open to any color.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
What about a sapphire? Or possibly a Tanzanite (though they are a bit softer, But I have never once had mine chip or scratch even)? I love blue sapphire in white gold and you could probably find some antique styles that would work OR find an antique sapphire ring!!!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Do you know how she would feel about a coloured stone?

Those of us who have them, LOVE them. But they''re not for everyone (''cause we''re SPECIAL!).

LS

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Listen to Lost Sapphire and absolutely make sure a colored stone is what she wants.

I too have a blue sapphire center stone, and I LOVE IT, but I know it''s not for everyone. For some women an engagement ring absolutely MUST have a diamond center stone.

You have a very good budget, so you will have lots of options.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
So it has to be durable, rare (white diamonds are not BTW), not overly big and blue, green or pink in color.

Try alexandrite, green chrysoberyl, pink or blue spinel, paraiba tourmaline, rubelite tourmaline or tsavorite. You can also go with sapphires (blue or pink - greens are not much IMO), but they're not exactly rare, especially considering treated ones that've flooded the market in the last few years.

E B

Ideal_Rock
If your GF wants a colored stone engagement ring, this vendor cuts beautiful stones:

White's Gems

If you want to continue with custom, Greenlake Jewelry Works makes amazing, intricate antique-style settings:

Greenlake Jewelry Works

$5,000 could get you (well, her) an amazing, one-of-a-kind ring.

Hope this helps!

jmdragna

Rough_Rock
We''ve talked about it, and she would be happy with a colored stone.

jmdragna

Rough_Rock
what about ''natural fancy diamonds''? I get the impression that these are rarer, and they are certainly prettier than, white diamonds. I''m worried, however, that I might get ripped off and end up with one that was color or heat treated.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 2:04:16 PM
Author: jmdragna
what about ''natural fancy diamonds''? I get the impression that these are rarer, and they are certainly prettier than, white diamonds. I''m worried, however, that I might get ripped off and end up with one that was color or heat treated.
They sure are rare, in fact they''re among the rarest gems on Earth - but price follows that. I''m no expert when it comes to prices, but I know that you can''t find any untreated green, blue and especially pink of decent size (say 0,5 ct) and quality for that budget.

When it comes to getting ripped off, don''t be, just buy at a reputable store with knowledgable salespeople and make sure they provide you with a certificate for the stone.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
jmdragna-I love love love natural fancy colored diamonds!

A fantastic resource for information regarding such stones is David from Diamonds by Lauren(diamondsbylauren.com), he and I have worked together on numerous colored diamond projects. He''s a stand up guy, has very good pricing and if you don''t see what you''d like on his website he can surely work on sourcing it for you! If you are thinking-blue, green or pink fancy colored diamonds, the price will be quit high and the options very limited as far as selection goes-just to for warn.

Good luck, what a fun project :)

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
You can get a pretty decent yellow or brown diamond for $5-7k, but you are pretty much tied down to those two colours with natural diamonds. If you would consider irradiated or HPHT diamonds, then blue and green become an option, and pink synthetic may also be available in smallish sizes. For an engagement ring, I''d stick to natural stones, however.

A couple of other thoughts: demantoid garnets and pink topazes are also very nice stones, but may be a bit fragile/requiring some care.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Why don''t you propose without a ring and let her choose?

That''s what my husband did and I really enjoyed the process of finding the stone and designing the setting - my avatar is my tsavorite e-ring.

Make sure your girlfriend is also aware that coloured stones are not for 24/7 wear - they need a lot more care and looking after. I would look at sapphires/chrysoberyl/spinel/garnet for starters.

Take a look at www.palagems.com for lots of lovely examples of rarer stones...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 2:04:16 PM
Author: jmdragna

The only color you could really afford in your budget is yellow or brown...otherwise I would stick with a colored gemstone, the colors are so much more intense and you''ll get a lot more out of your budget.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
What colors does she like? I''d start there...

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
I vote for a padparadascha (got no idea how to spell it) sapphire

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 2:32:27 AM
Author: lasscreative
I vote for a padparadascha (got no idea how to spell it) sapphire
You spelled it just fine
9.gif
Great idea!

absolutanne

Rough_Rock
Wow, props for you as a guy who's very cognizant about the diamond industry/cartel!! I did not want a diamond for sociopolitical reasons and I was very vocal about it to my bf. He did not pick the hint up so I ended up having to design my own e-ring entirely - which is what I would've done myself. I prefer something that is representative of myself and unique - I chose a taaffeite! It may seem that there are alot of taaffeite pieces out there but they are visibly similar to the purple spinel - which are very common and far less expensive. An excellent faceted jewelry quality taaffeite will run you $4,000/ct - less expensive than a diamond but 1000000000000 x 10^100 times rarer as the beautiful natural ones are mined only in Sri Lanka.

Taaffeite's do not break easily, the moh's hardness scale is 8.5 comparable to a topaz and close to a sapphire. There are no distinctable cleavage planes in taaffeite, whereas diamond - there are 4. Though taaffeite's are quite rare and you will have to find a jeweler that is dedicated and will put the effort into finding a gem jewelry quality taaffeite. I was lucky to find one that is beautiful IRL from the first jeweler I worked with- pics do not do it justice!

The best jewelry-quality taaffeite's IMO are light mauve, light lavender almost grey-purple - too bold of purple will make it look too costume jewelry-plastic looking so it is ugly. My e-ring isn't ready yet, but I've done alot of research on Taaffeite and seeing mine IRL def stole my heart. It had the fire and breathless effect of a diamond.

taaffeite.jpg

3.3 ct Round Brilliant native cut untreated Ceylon Taaffeite

Date: 11/17/2008 12:25:33 PM
Author:jmdragna
I know these threads pop up frequently, and I looked through some of the archives, but I couldn't find what i was looking for so I apologize if this thread is a bit redundant.

Anyway, I want to ask my girlfriend to marry me, but I'm not sure about what ring to get. I don't want a diamond center stone. I was wondering if you guys could suggest some rare stones that are also strong. I like taaffeite, but i'm worried it will break. I can probably go as high as 7k, but i was hoping to keep it closer to 5k. She likes antiques as far a settings are concerned, and it doesn't have to be a huge stone as she has small hands and typically wears jewelry that is a little understated.

Strength/rareness issues aside, I'm interested in something in the blue/green part of the spectrum, or in the 'pink' part of the spectrum (although pink may technically be less intense red?). However, I'm open to any color.

dancingflame

Shiny_Rock
Have to vote for a pad!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well everyone gave wonderful options and alternatives to diamonds. I guess the only thing I would say is to stick with a stone that's at least an 8 on the Mohs scale of hardness. BTW, Taeffite is incredibly rare, I think there are only 50 known faceted stones in existence. I can't wait to see absolutanne's ring when it's done!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results