shape
carat
color
clarity

Color zoning in sapphires

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
How much would it affect you willingness to acquire a stone that has zoning? The stone looks gorgeous face up, but there is some apparent zoning from the side.

gongli

Rough_Rock
I sort of like even face-up zoning in some cases. Some of Dana's sapphires are face-up zoned and I think he has the skill to use it to make the stone actually more attractive that way, though the trade counts zoning as a flaw in the commodity and probably it is in the vast majority of cases. Since your zoning is on the side I guess it would depend what you're going to do with it, if you're going to mount in a closed bezel and want a nice face-up I don't think it matters.. if it's going to be up in a tiffany and doesn't look nice then maybe it's a problem.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I'm also thinking that zoning that is evidenced on a stone magnified as much as the pics we are used to, might be really hard to see on the hand.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
All sapphires have colour zoning (green sapphires are very fine bands of blue and yellow), just some are more apparent than others.

Face-up zoning might well put me off a stone if it was noticeable in a big way.

I wouldn't ever reject a stone because of zoning from sideways on. I've never seen that kind of zoning have a negative effect on value either. I think the stripy side-ways look is pretty cool - and shows the lapidary's skill in producing a great face up colour!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don't think i'd be too concerned........especially if i loved it face up and the price was right.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
There are so many factors that would effect my decision. Color, Size, Shape, Clarity and Price. Color above all would be my deciding factor although I have to admit I am a clarity snob. :geek: If the price is right I would probably buy it. Most sapphires have color zoning to some extent. The cut can help or make the zoning worse so that also is something to consider. Are you considering such a stone? Do you have any pictures?

~Justin

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here are two views of the stone. One face up, and one from the side. You cannot see the crown in these photos, but it has some zoning from the side too. Does this change your opinion?

12744-77[1].JPG

ao[1].JPG

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
No, because I'm not going to be looking at the stone from the side especially once it's set. It's all about the face-up colour - which is lovely.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually, it changes my opinion only in that the face up color is so good there is absolutely no way i'd return the stone. you won't be looking at it from the side and if you think you might, well, you can design a setting that will block the view!

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
That color is amazing!!! I would buy it!

~Justin

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1317646713|3031919 said:
Here are two views of the stone. One face up, and one from the side. You cannot see the crown in these photos, but it has some zoning from the side too. Does this change your opinion?

If it's the stone I'm thinking of, I think it's a really good buy, and probably because of the zoning.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I think so too TL. I'm bringing it home to check it out myself.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price should probably be discounted for the zoning, but the pavilion zoning wouldn't discourage me at all. The face up colour is very good.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Uppy is on a roll! :appl: The face up color is nice enough to check that stone out in person, IMO! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results