shape
carat
color
clarity

Color with Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marqoid

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buy a stone with strong blue fluorescence. I like the look and glow that they give off, but I''m not sure what I need to look for in terms of color. Of course a D color is still the best, but how low can I go without the stone looking cloudy?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
the color doesnt impart the cloudiness or milkiness its the fluorescence when it gets too strong. My understanding is that medium blue or less is fine................

the benefit of fluorescence is most valuable in a lower color grade as it makes it appear whiter but you pay less for both the color and the presence of the fluor.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may want to take a look at the ost of David Atlas on this thread (link). What those color grades mean doe not have all that much to do with what they look like. It helps that there is a clear standard for these color grades that does not depend on cut or size, so you can always compare a couple of diamonds at any jeweler and see what the grades mean to you. All along the range down to K the step from one grade to the next is quite subtle. Towards the to (D-F) it is strenuous (at least IMO) to see any difference at all. And this, taking into account grading conditions - with the stones loose, culet up and under just the right lighting. Once diamonds are turned the "normal" way and brilliance interfears with the percetion of color the meaning of color grades fades further. Once set, the difference fades still... for this reason, grading labs give (safe) split grades for diamonds evaluated in mounting.

Just some things to consider... 0.2 worth
1.gif

marqoid

Rough_Rock
Okay, maybe I misunderstood some previous posting about fluorescense negatively affecting the color of a high grade stone (D-F).
Anyhow, now I have read several opinions regarding how much fluorescense is too much. Some say Very strong will make it oily and cloudy. Others have said that a stone that appears oily is very rare and that any fluorescense is just fine. Others still say that they would only buy a stone with medium blue or higher. I can't say that I have seen too many stones with fluorescense to make a comparison, but I am a bit confused now. So what is the comparison of medium blue vs. strong vs. very strong? Any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results