shape
carat
color
clarity

Color vs. Quality in pricing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fairhaired4

Rough_Rock
I was quoted a price of $4950. for an uncertified RB 1.23 ct. stone SI1 quality, G/H color with a good cut. I insisted that it be certified (there are 2 carbon spots seen with the 10x loupe). It just returned from GIA and was certified as color F /SI2. Depth 58.4 Table 61.

Is this a good price for the stone? The jeweler said that the price could be adjusted if the stone returned with a different grading than promised. Should I ask for a better price since the stone is lower quality or is it a wash since the color came back better than expected?

Thank you for the help... I am lost!
wink2.gif

Greentree

Rough_Rock
. I'm sure there are others. [/u]

Architect

Rough_Rock
I did a quick check for you and the price online for a si2, f color 1.23 round diamond is about $5100. if it were a si1 and g or h, the price would be higher. Since he qouted you a price and said he would lower it if the stone came back graded lower, I suggest you talk to him and have him come down a little bit since the grade was off. Just let him know that the price he quoted you was for an SI1 stone and now you are going to be getting an SI2. As long as you can't see any inclusions without a loop, but the color is better than what you had expected, I think it is a good buy and for a pretty good price also.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
An F/SI2 in that size is worth approximately 9% less than a H/SI1 and 17% less than an G/SI1.

Sounds like you ought to hit the guy up for a 13% discount, or thereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results