shape
carat
color
clarity

color vs. GIA report

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I bought a pair of diamond studs from a respectable jeweler in town, on the GIA report, the diamonds are listed as F color SI1. However when I look at them in normal day light, sometimes they seem a bit yellow but sometimes they seem really white. When I put them on a piece of white paper, they are sparkling white but when I turn them side to side, they look a bit yellow. Is it just the reflection and the shine that''s confusing me? I don''t really want to take it apart in order to read the laser script. and I checked both GIA reports are genuine. This is my first time buying diamond, so i hope I can get some feed back from you guys! Thanks!

RBD hunter

Rough_Rock
Hello:
Assuming you can not read the GIA number becuase of the setting?
Might be the color from the setting if yellow gold?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
GIA is usually right on for color. Could it be reflection of yellow from the lighting or walls? Another PSer had the same problem with an F color princess cut engagement ring stone, and she eventually came to the conclusion that it was reflection of colored light.

If you''re still worried, you could always take them to an appraiser. I think appraisers can grade color on mounted stones, at least to an approximation.

swl

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the reply :) the setting is in 18k White Gold (that''s why I wanted a higher color quality). It''s very possible because of the lighting, but is there a way I can tell the color besides taking it to the appraiser (i tried to put them on a piece of white paper and they look really white)? I am just wondering if there is any way the Jeweler might set the wrong set of diamonds for me? although I highly doubt it...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does it has fluorescence?

Why not sent it to an appraiser? You need one for insurance right?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 10:58:59 PM
Author: swl
Thank you for the reply :) the setting is in 18k White Gold (that''s why I wanted a higher color quality). It''s very possible because of the lighting, but is there a way I can tell the color besides taking it to the appraiser (i tried to put them on a piece of white paper and they look really white)? I am just wondering if there is any way the Jeweler might set the wrong set of diamonds for me? although I highly doubt it...
An appraiser is the only reliable way to verify the colour.

Date: 2/15/2009 8:34:57 PM
Author:swl
Hi everyone! I bought a pair of diamond studs from a respectable jeweler in town, on the GIA report, the diamonds are listed as F color SI1. However when I look at them in normal day light, sometimes they seem a bit yellow but sometimes they seem really white. When I put them on a piece of white paper, they are sparkling white but when I turn them side to side, they look a bit yellow. Is it just the reflection and the shine that''s confusing me? I don''t really want to take it apart in order to read the laser script. and I checked both GIA reports are genuine. This is my first time buying diamond, so i hope I can get some feed back from you guys! Thanks!

Hi there-
We ran into an issue once where the rhodium plating didn''t adhere to the inside of the setting because rhodium adheres perfectly when the metal is perfectly polished. Sometimes with stud settings, the inside is left a bit rough. Maybe the yellow tinting is coming from that? Your best bet is to take it to an appraiser just so you make peace with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results