shape
carat
color
clarity

color vs clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colorvsclarity

Rough_Rock
I'm very confused. I have found two stones that I absolutely love. Both are radiant cut and in the 2 carat range and GIA Certified. One is an F SI2 and the other is an H VS2. My boyfriend and I have spent over a month searching for the perfect radiant cut and it was a search! There are a lot of poorly cut radiants out there. My dilemma is this. The F SI2 is a beautifully cut stone and the inclusions cannot be seen at all and as the F suggests, the color is fabulous! However, it is an SI2 and I'm having problems stomaching that. The other is an H VS2, that is also beautifully cut, but my boyfriend likes the F color better than the H. Unfortunately, these diamonds are at two different locations and I cannot compare them directly. Which one is the better diamond that I should choose? I have been told that radiants cuts tend to look more yellow easier? Why?:confused:

barry

Shiny_Rock
Go with the F/ SI-2!

You state that
1. both radiants are very well cut,
2. the SI-2 inclusions on the 'F' are not visible at all;
the stone is "eye-clean".

Be aware that although the 'H' is also a very good cut,
in this color and shape, the stone may draw some color
from the side, and depending on your setting, may
be noticeable.

I suspect that the reason the F/SI-2 is "eye-clean"
is because of it's great cut. The fact is that an
exquisitely cut diamond will tend to 'mask'
internal inclusions. So, from your description,
I would say you've got the best of all worlds:
Great color, great cut, and an "eye-clean" stone
at a SI-2 price! You're sure to get a ton of
compliments. Go for it.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
If you love both stones, the best thing is a side by side comparison. Even though they're at different jewelers, I would find out which one has the best return policy & try to compare then together, under the same lighting.

I say this because I was recently looking at a 2ct princess that looked beautiful to me. I couldn't tell until it was next to my E color stone that it was really a J-K color, and that made all the difference for me.

You haven't mentioned the price difference between the 2 stones, that could be a determining factor also.

colorvsclarity

Rough_Rock
Barry,
Thanks so much for your advice. I feel much better about our decision now.

Should we take the stone to an independent appraiser before it is set?

barry

Shiny_Rock
I believe your heart has already answered the
question.

Use the "independent appraiser" money and put into
a beautiful Platinum setting.

Best wishes,

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results