shape
carat
color
clarity

Color vs Carat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jp1k

Rough_Rock
Well, its 10.17pm in Hawaii and I''m just posting away while everyone else sleeps. Just can''t stop looking at diamonds and I wish I had of found this great resource of a site before.

If you see my previous post, I''m comparing 3 stones, all slightly less than a true 3/4 ct ring. The reason being, a 3/4 ct is out of my budget considering the restraints I''ve given myself. I can go for a bigger ring if I start sacrificing color.

Anyway, heres my basic constraints..
Ideal cut, of course.
Clarity of at least VS2
Ex/Ex polish/symmetry
D-F color (now, I''m considering G-I just to bump up the carat)
kinda leaning toward faint-medium blue fluorescense as well

I''m trying to stay under $3,000 for the stone. I''m looking for as big as I can go, given those parameters. Originally, I was hoping for at least .75, but what I''ve found is closer to .65-.7

Of course, the difference in that size is negligible, but the difference in colorless and near colorless may be negligible as well.

The stone will be in a platinum, 4 prong solitaire setting (with a wrap to come later.)

I think more important to me is what will make her ring more unique/rare. Ultimately, I''ll have to find my own answer within myself. But, I do appreciate anyone''s thoughts or advice.
Thanks.. Jp

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 1.34 in a G color and you cannot see a hint of color in it. I love G color's. They are a fabulous "bargain". And I have had an F too. I don't see any difference personally. I'd go with the G and get a bigger stone.
1.gif

There are some pics of my G stone at this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ugh-i-am-so-annoyed.6531/

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My eng. diamond is also a G and very beautiful and colorless! I don't think I'd go as low as an I for an eng. ring, though, but maybe an H if it was a nice stone.

Michelle

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I suggested in your other thread about going w/ a G stone. A well cut stone w/ med blue fluor should face up white. I'd vote bump up carat weight & go w/ G.

Heck my large stone is med/strong blue "I" color & I have it set in platinum w/ f/g baguettes. Plenty white to me.

Good luck

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
A well-cut H will still face up very white. I'd vote carat as well.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
BTW, if you're looking to make her ring more unique, you can accomplish that very well with a great setting. There's a recent thread here entitled something like "bezel set princess" with a picture of a Tradeshop setting that is not only singular and attractive, but is one that IMO looks best with a stone under .75 carats.

jp1k

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have most of my information in my other thread "lets compare 3 stones"

I'm looking into the near colorless range now. It seems the G's are popular! I can't find many. But, I have found lots of Hs and Is. I'm weighing the options, and I'll post my choices (in the other thread) for everyone to look at.

thanks again.... Jp

clementine

Shiny_Rock
You might also think about going to an eye clean SI1. When I started my search, I too was nervous to buy anything below a VS2 on the internet. I ended up with an eyeclean F SI1 - it's posted over in the eyecandy section. I absolutely can't see any inclusions, and believe me, I've been looking! Todd & Robin over at NiceIce helped me - I just told them what I wanted to spend, what I thought I was looking for, and they took it from there.

Good Luck!!!!
2.gif

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
I know what you mean about wanting a unique diamond... especially with a round brilliant as it's the most popular shape.

You do the research and end up with a beautiful diamond... sure, your diamond is now better then 95% of the diamonds out there, but does it really look unique?

I hope it will, but still - you can't help but feel like everyone else.

I specifically chose med blue flourescence for the unique facter. Of the diamonds that are well cut - how many are flourescent without spoiling the beauty of the diamond? My diamond will look just as pretty as the next well-cut diamond, only with a extra touch of *something*. It's that extra something I want - something to make it special, different, memorable.

I don't have my diamond yet, so I don't know if my hypothesis is true - but it sure sounds good!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results