shape
carat
color
clarity

Color sensitivity question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Does it vary from person to person? I was looking at 1 ct. + I stones at Tiffany next to a G and they looked really yellow to me. I didn''t get to compare the G to a D,E, or F though - I''m hoping I don''t see a difference there. I''m still looking at rings but I was hoping I couldn''t tell an I from a G for price reasons!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
It varies from person to person. I can''t go lower than a G in a ring. Earrings are another story:)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it does vary from person to person. However, next time, don''t put them right next to each other, because that IS easier to tell. Put one by itself and see if you notice it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Color sensitivity does vary from person to person ... visually and mentally. Some people''s minds SEARCH for the color & only believe it isn''t there if they have the mental verification of a "D" rating! Poster Jasmine has described that phenomenon.

Think about "real world" conditions ... not comparing diamonds pavillion-side up on white sheets of paper ... but set SOLO in a RING on your HAND in a room full of different colors & people & lights etc .. then would a "G" or an "I" look un-white? Look more "tinted" than a D or an E on the finger of a lady across the table from you?

I have a GIA "H" - and it''s an Asscher - so it "shows" more color than ideal cut Round Brilliants ... and I can''t/never have seen even a HINT of color in normal everyday situations. And there just simply isn''t a lot of diamond color comparing going on in my travels.
1.gif
SIZE .. now folks compare *that*
31.gif

** though I will say I have heard people talk about really huge stones (3-4-5 carats) being like "gingerale" ... usually boss''s wife scenarios! As in "It may be HUGE but it''s gross". Donald Trump''s wife''s rock comes to mind
25.gif
...she wears TAN nailpolish so it blends in!
11.gif
... but that''s probably "L" or "M" color in a 5+ carat monster ... OF COURSE it shows ... OF COURSE people notice! In a 1 or 1.5 or even 2 carat ROUND BRILLIANT ... I bet you could get to "K" w/o people noticing anything!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Besides just being able to *see* the difference I think some people CAN see the difference but feel the color difference is so minor compared to the major price difference.
They see it but feel higher color is not worth the higher price.

This value judgement is different from not being able to see the difference.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I just posted my I color diamond here about half way down... I don''t know if this will help you in your decision

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t know that about Trump''s wife''s ring! LMAO.

I could actually see a big difference on the black velvet, I didn''t even compare the rings on a white background, which I''m guessing would show more of a difference. From some angles I couldn''t tell the stone wasn''t as white and definitely it looks great by itself but compared to a G I saw alot of yellow and I was worried that if I get a wedding band with diamonds my ring would show up yellow against it. My mother didn''t appear to see as much yellow in the ring as I did, maybe a little bit. Also the I stone looked more bluish white to me than the G stone which looked more pure white.

I looked at the I ring posted and it doesn''t show up any color in the shot, but like I said when I compared the other ring to a G is when I could really see it. The saleslady was even trying to trick me and put the rings behind her back and had me choose the I! I think she thought I was seeing the color in my head but I choose correctly - 2 or 3x actually. She had me look at a 1.5 ct. I and that stone looked even more yellow - the saleslady said bigger stones will show more color. I didn''t see any H stones to compare them to.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on the stone too. I have an I and have never seen anything in the yellow hues. It definitely looks "darker" than a G, but I wouldn''t call it yellow. It''s set in a setting with G colored diamonds and I can''t see a color difference.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t forget, the color of an I/J stone becomes more apparent the larger the stone gets. To me, I can see a slight warmth in an I stone, but it doesn''t bother me and I rather save the money.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Obviously when two stones that are several color grades apart are set next to one another you will probably be able to detect the difference. The question is- Is this a real life scenario/ can you live with the difference? There is a reason an I is an "I" and a G is a "G". If no one could the difference they wouldn''t be two different grades. When viewing unset stones it is easier to detect color, and even then the stone may still face up white. Also, you must understand that there is variability within color grades. You may have been looking at a high G and low I, which would make the color difference even more appearant. If it is something that will bother you, go with the G. It is not worth making a purchase you will regret.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Winternight. The color thing is tough - I just struggled with it too. Wound up with an "F".

Decodelighted has a good point that most people will not be able to tell color when the stone is set as a solitaire. But you do bring up a legit concern regarding putting a diamond wedding band next to your "Near Colorless" stone. I think it will be important to go with a similar color for the diamonds in your wedding band.

The reason I say this is because I saw a ring with a GIA "G" center stone, around 1.75 carats, with 2 GIA "D" sidestones, around a carat total. The color difference was hugely noticeable! The sidestones made the G look yellow. It was the first thing that hit me when I looked at the ring. So if you go with a G solitaire, you may want to stick with a G wedding band.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
most people can not pick G-D, but almost everyone can pick I to D.
There is more difference in color I to G than there is H to D.

The bigger the stone the easier it is to pick

rounds show less color than radiants and most other fancies - so a H radiant looks much lower color than an H round

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i think the gingerale colored stones are gorgeous!. i like color....

SKR

Shiny_Rock
When I was my appraiser recently he showed me several stones (varying colours) side by side against a white background and I was shocked how close they actually were. I could not tell the difference between a D and an F stone - absolutely no chance!!!! Neither could my wife. I could clearly see the difference between the D/ F stone and an I, but it was not the vast difference I had imagined it to be.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, unfortuntely for me, color is a very mental thing. I don't like knowing there is any tint, even if I can't see it. But I am quite sensitive to color anyway, and having worn my D for the last year has made it worse. My eyes have gotten used to it so that virtually all diamonds look tinted to me in comparison. I would go lower in earrings than I would in a ring however.

BTW, I have read several times that Trump's ring is a D FL 12 carat Graff diamond. I can't imagine Donald getting anything tinted for her.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Jazmine - do you only consider D stones for rings ?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know color is more pronounced in larger stones.

But if your looked at them side by side, does that 12-carat D have more color than a 1-carat D?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL. No Kenny, they call it colorless for a reason :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Color sensitivity is not one issue. It is two.

One is: How likely are you tell the difference between a G and an I?
The other is: How likely are you to *care* that there is a difference?

Many of us can tell the difference between colors. Not all of us care.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 7:20:56 PM
Author: SKR
Jazmine - do you only consider D stones for rings ?
Welll, my diamond is a marquise and marquises show color more than some other cuts, especially down at the points. So for a marquise, I would want a D. Same goes for ECs, which I adore and asschers, as they can really show color. If I were to get a round for a RHR, I think I might consider an F or maaaaybe a G (in an ideal cut of course). It's hard to say no to more size.

I think I have kind of ruined it for myself because many people can see a difference between say, a D and a G if they are right next to each other but, really as we often say around here, you won't be walking around with a D next to your diamond. But I will be!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I have wondered the same thing Kenny. I mean, they say you can see color easier in larger diamonds so does that mean there is more color in them? Or is it just more obvious because they are bigger? Same with clarity. I know many SIs are eye clean but when you look at 3 or more carats, it is harder to find eye clean diamonds that are SI. Again, just because the diamond is bigger? If I took a 1 carat G VS1 diamond and magically blew it up to a 2 carat, all proportions being the same, would I still have a G VS1?

GGGIA

Rough_Rock

Yes, color may vary from person to person.

Also, one important factor to consider is - What type of light source were you viewing the diamonds under? Incandescent or Fluorescent? Most jewelry stores showcase their diamonds in show cases with "Hot" or "yellow" lighting as this type of lighting tends to make the diamond “fiery” with more prisms of color and at the same time a bit yellow in over all body color. Fluorescent or "day light" tubes tend to show diamonds the way they would look in natural or day light lighting. It will certainly make a difference.

Most consumers can barely tell the trivial difference''s between an I and G color. With "day light" lighting your eyes will not deceive you. In my opinion, there is a slight tint of yellow even in a G color.

However, two things magically happen to a diamond once it is set in the ring. One, it will look bigger as a result of the metal encompassing the diamond.
Two, like magic, the diamond will take on a whiter color appearance. Big bonus!

So, you might want to ask to see your prospective diamond(s) in a ring style similar to what your significant other desires (with the respective light source). If the color is still too yellow for you, then I am afraid you will just have to dig deeper into your pockets for additional funds to afford you a diamond in the "collection” or “colorless” color range (D -E - F).

Good luck my friend!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 7:08:51 PM
Author: jazmine
BTW, I have read several times that Trump''s ring is a D FL 12 carat Graff diamond. I can''t imagine Donald getting anything tinted for her.

12 carats maybe ... flawless, well .. before he had the girdle inscribed ... "D" .. um, I no think so ... but, judge for yourself
31.gif
31.gif

I also heard he got if for 1/2 price by giving Graff publicity.
20.gif

trumpthirteencaratring.jpg

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
her nails actually make it look WORSE I think... they look like baby poo!

Another aspect of color is how clean the ring is kept- long term.

I clean my ring 2-3 times a week... it''s an heirloom stone w/ a LOT of color- but not yellow color- it just appears darker- more grey and almost green. Also it''s just over 2ct, so I always convince myself that since it''s larger than the I side stones that''s why it appears to have more color.

This being said by keeping my ring clean it looks nicer than many higher color stones my friends have- I constantly get compliments on my ring based on it''s size and sparkle.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
HAHAHAHA!!! I was thinking the same thing- what''s with the 1980s nails? Joan Crawford called...she wants her nails back!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 6:51:23 PM
Author: ladykemma
i think the gingerale colored stones are gorgeous!. i like color....

AMEN!!!
28.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 7:08:51 PM
Author: jazmine
Yeah, unfortuntely for me, color is a very mental thing. I don''t like knowing there is any tint, even if I can''t see it.
that''s how I am about clarity.... though I admit it bugs me that I cannot find the inclusions with a 10x searching high and low... I would ideally have something obvious but tiny and unobtrusive only visible with a loupe LOL But still... inclusions bug me but color - eh.... if it''s crystal clear inclusion wise and has gorgeous well cut facets, I figure whatever color the earth gave it is good enough for me!! I''m actually not super fond of super yellow canary diamonds, though if I could find one with an apricot tint I might go gaga :D

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Winternight,

I am not sure how people's colour sensitivity is like, but I do know that mine and my best friend's is very acute. We can defiinitely tell the difference between say F and H, and for us, I definitely looks yellow, even if they are not placed side by side. She has a F stone for her e-ring and she can tell if someone else's stone is of a lower colour. I have different stones ranging from F to G to I colours and I definitly can tell the hint of yellow in my I stone even if it is by itself, face up. I can even see the very very very slightest hint of yellow in my F colour stone, not face up but from the side (my F is a lower F, I am led to believe, beautifully white face up), again even by itself in day light.

I reckon you'd need to look at different stones of different colours, face up as well as from the side, with and without fluorescence, before you can tell them apart. I've looked at literally hundreds of diamonds, loose as well as mounted, both well cut and poorly cut, of varying colours and degrees of fluoro and I can tell the difference quite easily. The only diffence I can't tell apart is that between a well cut D and a well cut E of no fluorescence, and NOT placed side by side (if they are place upside down side by side, I can see the difference, even if it is very slight). The colour difference is more pronounced the lower down the scale you go, as someone else already suggested, so the difference between say an I and an H is so much more noticeable than that between an E and an F.

The only 2 things I would sugest you be careful about are: 1) look at diamonds in day light, not in the shop's, as they can really blind you and make the the diamonds look much whiter than they are (I made that "mistake" with my lower colour F, thinking that it was a high or mid-F - I say "mistake" since it is so so slight and the price was reflective of this) and 2) try to compare diamonds of similar charateristics (size, cut, shape, fluoro or no fluoro etc.).

With practice (if you have the time and inclination), you should be able to tell the difference. In the end, though, it is totally down to your personal preference. I believe some PS'ers prefer the lower colour stones for their warmth and /or because they represent better value for money (bigger bang for your buck).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results