shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spinel

Shiny_Rock
I am looking for a picture showing all ranges of color from purple to red to pink ... to yellow ... to blue ...
Thanks for your help

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Gary. I wrote you a pm before seeing your reply. What a coincidence
1.gif

What I look for is a sort of bamboo fan which shows color grading.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All graphics software has some color palette... the one below belongs to Paint and you can use it to decompose any hue in steps of intensity and saturation so a color fan can be easily made, I think. Not sure if this is anywhere close to what you are looking for though
38.gif

Paintpalette.JPG

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Valeria. I found it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2005 11:11:3 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Where'd you find it?
click Start / Programs / Accessories (in some Windoesn versions before NT) / Paint (open and double click on any of the colored squares on the palette on the bottom of the page )

Pantone (link) and others did try to set up a color communication code - and it is quite useful for designers & all. I got to use Pantone's color swatches as well, but I don't think there is a set of samples on transparent support. Their samples are pretty good for textiles and what not, don't think these guys dared approch jewelry as yet.

art_Xerox_dk.gif

Unlike the palette in paint, others dissect hues by tone and saturation simmulataneously. Using paint's toy, you'd need to play with those color parameters on your own...

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Valeria,

Just noticed this post. There are a couple of systems out there that attempt to relate to transparent media. During the eighties we had a "battle of the color grading systems" which resembled in many ways the sort of battles we see on professional wrestling today. GIA had a big color box, Howard Ruben introduced Gem Dialogue and Cap Beesley did ColorScan. Of the three, Colorscan was the best. It was composed of small samples of quilted foils that actually reflected light thus apeing brilliance in a gem. Unfortunately, each had to be graded by Beesley himself. He was unable to get consistancy in manufacturing. A shame really, I bought his system and still use it at times.

Well Beesley who has been at odds with GIA was unable to sell his system to them and gave up. GIA eventually trashed the big box after selling them to a number of people. They have since moved on to a system of incipid little plastic gems (since abandoned). The only one left is Howard Ruben who uses colored acetates that work better than nothing but not much. The latest one is by an a guy named sic. Smedervich and is being used by Stuller. You might call it color cartoon.

Richard

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2005 8:45:55 AM
Author: Richard W. Wise
There are a couple of systems out there that attempt to relate to transparent media...
Thank you very much for the overview ! Since I am new to this, it would have taken some serious amount of sleuthing to reconstruct the story
2.gif

I thought "Gemwizard" was old news when the a couple of corporate users ( Stuller and Unigem) aparently gave up on it. But...

GIA News, February 14 reads: "GIA President to Lead Gemewizard™ Presentation at ICA Congress in Bangkok ". LINK

Is there any room for a largescale color grading system afterall ?

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
This is oldcut pink sapphire of 8 carats.
21.gif

pinkoldcut.jpg

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Around 6 carats of emerald cut ruby.

emeraldcutruby.jpg

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Around 9 carats ruby. This is the best ruby I have as my collection.

greatruby.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Cguy:

That pink EC sapphire is absolutely to die for!!!!!!!
30.gif
Yum Yum Yum...

Thanks for sharing...

widget

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty darn flawless...in every way. Are they real ?
35.gif

It's been a while since I got to see any ruby this read, big & clean all in one. Let alone two of them. Lucky you!

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Yea , real one. This is Natural purple sapphire ring around 20 carats. I have scanned this images using a scanner not a digitial picture ... but still it looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!

PURPLERING.jpg

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Another great pink sapphire at its best.
19.gif

pink5.jpg

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Trillion cut 2.5 carats Ruby.

trillioncut.jpg

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Purple lavender sapphire ring...

PURPLElAVENDARSAPPHIRERING.jpg

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Around 10 carats Ceylon blue sapphire .. I love these blues...

ceylonblue.jpg

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Real problem is trying to use opaque media such as munsell color chips to grade transparent media which are, by definition capable of higher degrees of saturation. GIA uses munsell chips to fill in the gaps between their fancy color diamond master stones. Probably helps to account for some of the rather odd color calls made on GIA fancy color diamond grading reports. I cover some of this in my book.

Beesley''s approach was the best simply because refracted light from the gem could be compared to reflected light from the foils. Downside was, you couldn''t adjust the foils so when Mong Hsu ruby began to appear you saw colors that were not in the system. So new foils would have had to be added with each newly discovered origin.

Gem wizard produces a caricature of the color of a gem. Looney-tunes! The computer generated gem simply doesn''t look anything like a real stone colorwise. If we are to get a useful system it will have to be along the lines of Beesley''s Colorscan. Apples to apples or as close as you can get.

Off to Bangkok next week.

Regards,

Richard

loupe

Rough_Rock
Try the GemDioalugue system by Howard Rubin. You can grade opaque and well as transparent gems with no problem.

Karen

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
18.gif
Karen,

Rubin''s system is about the best thing out there although fundementally flawed as you must compare refracted color against transmitted color. I have not used it on a practical level day to day in actual application so I defer to you if you find it works sufficiently well for your purposes.

At the upper reaches of connoisseurship when you wish to separate say number one (best) Kashmir blue from number two color this is where I fear you will find the most trouble. This is a subtle mix of hues that I fear is beyond the reach of standardized acetate overlays. This is more or less possible with Beesley''s Colorscan although you also must accept his hierarchy of quality.

For example, Beesley believes that orange is the prefered secondary hue in ruby. Why, because orange "frames" the red and pumps up its saturation. Thus, he is a big fan of the sort of orangy red hues of Thai rubies and his number one ruby color, his "pidgeon''s blood" is slightly orangy. My view, by contrast, is that purple or blue (depending on how you look at it) is the preferred scondary so "pidgeon''s blood" is a slightly purplish red because it reinforces the rich/velvety hue or red. I had an epiphany in Moguk one sunny day when I saw, for the first time, what the Burmese consider the finest color in ruby. His system was created before heated Mong Hsu rubies with their sic. visually pure red hue made their debut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results