shape
carat
color
clarity

COLOR PERCEPTION>>>

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

magicmike1969

Rough_Rock
Will I be able to perceive a difference between a princess cut D, SI2 diamond and a G, SI diamond? All else being equal is a D color to G that noticeable? THANKS!!!

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, you will be able to see the difference, even if set. The difference is like Nice and WOW! Look how white that diamond is. Everyone will see it. If you have a choice without sacrificing cut, go for it!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An expert CAN tell the difference. Appraisers such as Dave Atlas on this site would be able to see it. Some people can and some people can't it depends on your own visual accuity. I can see a vvs inclusion in an emerald cut diamond and yet jewellers said they could not. I did see it in daylight but this has not been the first one. I have seen many vs inclusions in emerald cut stones also. In a brilliant cut stone I can see a VS1, VS2 or SI1 inclusion provided I have seen it first with a loupe and it does not matter if it is tiny tiny I can see it. One jeweller told me he had studied diamonds for years and did not believe me but upon looking at it under is microscope he said I was correct. HOWEVER, on the otherhand I cannot seem to see colour in diamonds. Even a J colour I saw looked the same to me as a G colour looking at the stone from the side face down, which is how colour is judged.

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
D to G is a big jump, and I think you'd probably be able to see a difference. That said, Pyramid has a good point in that some people really can't see the color differences, so it really all comes down to your individual 'color tolerance'. Also, how big a diamond are we talking about here? I think that makes a difference too.

If you're buying on the internet, one idea may be to visit a local B&M store and ask to see some D and G-color stones. That way, you can see if the color difference bothers you. You can also check out whether you like the icy-white of D or whether you prefer warmer colors like G-I. Someone I know has a H color diamond and it's more beautiful than some E color stones I've seen, and I've always had myself pegged as someone who preferred stones as close to D as possible!
wink2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Side by side, yes. But once it's set and on some woman's hand, I doubt most people would be able to tell it's not a D. After all, a properly graded G still faces up as very white.

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
VERY true! I think when we try to 'test' ourselves on color, we're often putting the two stones side by side, so of course the difference can be seen. A G does face up very white.

But..I think magicmike is asking about such side by side comparisons and whether there is a perceivable difference when that is done.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results