shape
carat
color
clarity

Color over Clarity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

titanium

Rough_Rock
Is it more worthwhile to get a better color diamond or a better clarity diamond? Better to choose G with a VS1 or H with VVS2 diamond?

bosoxbw

Rough_Rock
if it''s a round, i''d say G/VS2...
37.gif

between the ones you posted, i''d say G/VS1-- there is a small chance you could tell the difference b/w a G and an H... no chance you could tell the difference between the VS1 and VVS2...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
my preference is to not pay for things that i cannot see- therefore, definitely color over clarity. but you need to know which is more important to you
1.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
What lab(s) did the grading? Size, shape, how well-cut the diamonds are & presence (or not) of fluorescence can have some influence on color appearance, but as long as both diamonds' reports are from labs that are consistent and equally strict it's likely there is very little difference face-up.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty sure a G VS1 will cost more than an H VVS2, because I was looking extensively in the G-H range the past year. So it also depends on your budget. If money is no object, then go for the G VS1. If money is limited, go for an H. I will say VS1 is so clean under a loupe that I don''t personally need higher clarity than that, but if I found a stone I liked that had VVS, I would get it. I would choose an H VS2 over a G SI1, though. So it really depends on where the line is drawn.

titanium

Rough_Rock
My choices is between:

1. 1.3 ct, ideal cut, H color, VVS2 = $15016
2. 1.3 ct, v good cut, G color, VS1 = $17 763
3. 1.32 ct, excellent cut, G color, VS1 = $18650

These diamonds are all in Canadian dollar. I was leaning towards the first option as it is the least expensive... but i''m still unsure since I have not seen the stone personally yet, my jeweller has to order it in.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 5:41:47 PM
Author: titanium
My choices is between:

These diamonds are all in Canadian dollar. I was leaning towards the first option as it is the least expensive... but i''m still unsure since I have not seen the stone personally yet, my jeweller has to order it in.
Definitely color over clarity for me. G VS2 would be splurging for me, H SI1 would be nice, but I wear I SI2. Anyway, I hope you are putting cut first. Have you seen the 3 diamonds?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 5:41:47 PM
Author: titanium
My choices is between:

even more reason to reiterate sir john''s question above.... who graded these diamonds? and why did they receive the grades they did?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
If #1 diamond''s cut is "IDEAL" because it has an AGS0 cut grade, and you want to pick based on just that limited info, then I would pick #1 for the cut grade and the lower price but if the "ideal" is just words given by the jeweler then I wouldn''t pick any of them till you see all of them or get further info.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me, both VS and VVS are both very high clarity. Both are most likely eye clean and assuming everything else is the same, the stones would look the same to the eye. A diamond in H color, VS2 in clarity, and graded by either GIA or AGS will be white and clear.

titanium

Rough_Rock
I believe that one and two are AGS graded and #3 is GIA. I am leaning towards #1 due to cost and I don''t know if I''ll be able to tell the difference, though the setting that it will be in is platnium and has side diamonds with G.... I''ll be going to look at the diamonds in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results