shape
carat
color
clarity

Color or Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondSeeker10

Rough_Rock
I have a few questions regarding a diamond i am looking at. First, i went into the jeweler not even considering diamonds VS2 or below in clarity. the rign i am seriously considering is SI2 clarity. I have looked at it to the eye and through a loop and it doesnt seem to have any noticeable inclusions, is this possible or am i missing something.
Next, the ring is an "E" color ring, with a carat weight of just over 1.5 carats, does anyone have any idea of what this ring may cost me after being set in a platium 6 prong setting? the ring is within the recommended percentages for both depth and table, how important is the polish?

Next, would you advise i buy this ring with these specs, or go to a slightly smaller ring, 1.25 carats, and get a VS1 F color. Will both shine equally, or is the color a large part of the way the ring will shine.

thanks for all your help

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Diamondseeker, Welcome to the forum,

An SI2 that you can't see any inclusions with a 10x loupe?
Possible, but not likely. The diamond may be filled or what they called clarity enhanced. With this they fill a surface reaching fracture with a glass-like substance and the fracture visibility is greatly reduced. An SI2 is a long way from a VS1. If you ask most sales people in jewelry stores if the diamond is clarity enhanced, they will not know what you are talking about. You might go back to the VS2 or a very good SI1 and still get the size you want.

DiamondSeeker10

Rough_Rock
thanks diamondbob. actually, there are some small inclusions when viewing the gem with a loop. But no inclusions seem visible to the naked eye, is this possible? also would you stay with the bigger ring, or go to the smaller ring and go up in clarity.

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
Has the jeweler pointed out the inclusions under a microscope to you? I'm sure that if it's a SI2 you will see "something" with a 10X.

If you feel confident that you can't see anything with the naked eye, then buy the diamond. If you have reservations about the diamond, then don't buy it. There are more diamonds out there.
1.gif

Heather

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Most si2 are suppose to be "eye clean", not "loupe clean"
therfore it is impossible for you not to see anything with the loupe.
I would think that if you are really concerned with clarity go with a vs2-or better, these are considered to be less imperfect and somtimes no undetectable by an untrained eye.
good luck.
p.s.
about the price ? your best bet is to check out websites and compare to see the prices ,the platinum 6 prong ring should cost no more than 200.00

good luck

DiamondSeeker10

Rough_Rock
But which of these would you take, assuming both have a polish and symetry of VG or above and are ideal cuts according to GIA specs.

#1 - 1.56 carat, E color, SI2

#2 - 1.25 carat, F color, VS2

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There has got to be a reason that the 1.56 is graded SI2. You need to find out why and see why. Look at the certificate and see the plot and look at the diamond under a microscope and see everything on the plot. Ask if the stone is clarity enhanced.
I would buy the smaller one in a heartbeat.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at each inclusion with the loupe by comparing it to the GIA cert? Once you've confirmed that all the inclusions are there, then step back again and look with your naked eye. If you still can't see them after knowing exactly where they are, then you're probably okay. It also wouldn't hurt to bring a friend to look as well and confirm that the inclusions are truly not visible.

If all is okay, and if the cuts are similarly good, I'd go for the larger stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results