shape
carat
color
clarity

Color or Clarity, which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

unclefunta

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I know many of you are problably thinking that one attribute will not define a diamond so please allow me to qualify my initial question.

I have come across a two diamonds that are pretty much the same in cut and size.
One diamond is a D but SI2. The othere diamond is a G but IF. Is it better to go with the colorless of the flawless? Please Hep! I need to make a decision soon!

Thanks,

Your Uncle Funta

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If she likes high color and the SI2 is an eye clean SI2 then I would grab the D every time. If the inclusions in the SI2 are eye visible under close examination and she prefers high clarity to high color then gram the G.

The above is assuming the two stones to be equally cut. If not, then look at the stones, preferably side by side and see which sings the loudest to you!

Wink

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if the d/si is eye-clean, i would choose that one.
2.gif

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 1:03:23 PM
Author: Wink
If she likes high color and the SI2 is an eye clean SI2 then I would grab the D every time. If the inclusions in the SI2 are eye visible under close examination and she prefers high clarity to high color then gram the G.

The above is assuming the two stones to be equally cut. If not, then look at the stones, preferably side by side and see which sings the loudest to you!

Wink
No more need to be said
2.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Decisions decision decision! You can find clean eye SI diamonds or you can do G VS1 to be safe with color and clarity. Have you seen loose diamonds in person? You may or may not be color sensitive and go as low as a I or J color. If you really want a colorless diamond then do a F VS1 but then again definitely consider SI clarity.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 1:07:33 PM
Author: lmurden
Decisions decision decision! You can find clean eye SI diamonds or you can do G VS1 to be safe with color and clarity.Have you seen loose diamonds in person? You may or may not be color sensitive and go as low as a I or J color.If you really want a colorless diamond then do a F VS1 but then again definitely consider SI clarity.
You might be really color sensitive if you view a F and an J side by side loose. But dont worry about a I or J too much because though you may notice a tint when they are loose and rolling around on a piece of paper, It would face up very white when it is set, and some people will have a hard time guessing it would Be an I or J. I and J's give you the biggest bang for your buck- I am going to get a >1 carat I or J and am not worried about what it will look like mounted and face up. It'll be white as can be! Just something to think about
9.gif

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
HERE is a thread on J's. Look at the first pic, do you see any yellow (and thats a K!)

Oops, sorry for going on about the J's- I was so busy trying to post things about it I forgot your main question
3.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 1:03:23 PM
Author: Wink

Wink

I couldn''t agree more! If it''s 100% eye clean go with the D. If you can see inclusions, go for the G
1.gif
I personally would never pay for the IF clarity (I would keep looking and either save money or get a bigger stone), but if the stone you found is a good price and an exceptional stone it might be worth it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If those are the only two options available, I'd do D SI2 if it was eye-clean. Most people are more apt to see color (or lack thereof) than IF vs SI2 if it's eye-clean.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I also agree, D Si if it is eye clean table up!

To complicate the matter, if you think you can find out her preference on this, I would go with Wink''s advice. If she is too picky on inclusions, it may bother her eventhough she will have a D color and you may just have to go with the G. However you are paying so much more money for an IF that may not be worth it. Did you know that even IF diamonds are not free of inclusions, they are just clea under 10X. Magnify it more and the inclusions may be visible.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Are those two diamonds your only option? If so why?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 2:08:45 PM
Author: lmurden
Are those two diamonds your only option? If so why?

Ditto. What about a compromise? Say, an F VS2? If these are your only 2 options and the SI2 is eyeclean and the cut on both are equal, I would go for the D. Let us know which you choose.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take it you haven''t seen the D SI2?? I''d have the vendor eye ball it for you. If it is eye clean, I''d go for it.
2.gif

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Having just browsed some stones myself, I personally would say that color is a big priority and as long as the clarity flaws aren''t obvious I would go with the more colorless stone every time.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
If those were my only choices, and the SI stone was eyeclean - then to me it''s a no-brainer, I''d get that one. But when I was choosing my diamond, I chose a J/SI2 because I like the slightly warm look of a J, and I LOVED the size (2.36)!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results